march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

on April 23, 2010
This book gives you the basics.... I thought I would have been left with more knowledge or another way to negotiate but the system is very simple and common sense, I do not see why this book is any more special than the others.
on February 15, 2010
I had to read this book prior to a work training session on it. The problem was, I had very little time, plus I had better things to do like enjoy my well deserved Jamaican vacation. While on vacation, my husband, a successful business owner, decided the book that I had brought him (fiction) was not mind challenging enough that he spent the week reading this one. He gave me great feedback on it that when we got home, I spent the weekend reading it for myself. It is very well written and very pertinent to our everyday lives. It went hand in hand with my training session....I was very well prepared!
on February 11, 2009
I found the book to be well written and the style quite reader friendly.
A rather relaxed learning process which was both comforting and enjoyable. A style technique that proved a new lesson for me. That too was an added benefit.
The subject matter is an education; and that's a statement.
I would recommend it as a very worthwhile introductory read to anyone approaching the subject matter for the first time.
on April 20, 2008
When it comes to negotiation, people are often confronted with though bargaining that destroys relationships. Getting to Yes offers people a new way of looking at negotiation and enables negotiators to reach a mutual profitable agreement without hard feelings.

The Harvard Negotiation Project, which this book is based on, came to understand basic principles that should guide every dispute. Thus, it is important to focus on the issue at hand, not the people involved in it or the position one defends. Do not hesitate to stay creative and develop new solutions to the problem. Often, both parties don't realize all opportunities available and "leave money on the table", in the authors' words. Finally, use objective criteria to decide on a solution. The authors also explain how to negotiate with people in a stronger position than you are.

The authors' style is simple and easy to understand. Nicely divided into subsections, every chapter covers a particular principle. Additional questions asked following the first edition were annexed at the end of the original text in this version.

Overall, this book offers nothing new, but reminds the reader of techniques that can ease any negotiation.
on June 30, 2004
I must confess I ordered and read this book because my new boss recommended it. Well, now that we have unpacked all the boxes from our move to take this job - I find we have about 5 copies of this book. This book is GREAT! This is not a new book but has been read by millions of people and is now a classic. The first edition came out in 1981 and the second edition 10 years later. The newest edition benefits from many updates and has an additional chapter (#10) with common questions (and answers) that people have commonly asked about Getting to Yes. This new chapter really helps the reader to understand the method better - in fact I can't imagine the book without it. One of the best things that authors Fisher, Ury and Patton do in this popular book do is give the reader a practical framework for developing better relationships that lead to better outcomes in life and work. The ideas are helpful in getting along with family as well as in the workplace. In many cases their methods will sound like things you already knew and have practiced in some of the more successful moments in your life. However, the book puts it all in perspective and gives you the complete picture to know why it works better when you focus on helping the other person get what they want so you can, too. After reading Getting to Yes you will be more prepared to negotiate more effectively in every type of situation. This book helped me decide I like the new boss, too!
on June 25, 2004
Don't buy the audio version from audible.com .
Their programming skills are terrible. I could not download some of the books I bought, could not burn into cd the ones I could download, and forget about making it work with an mp3 player, unless you're lucky.
I know about 5 people who bought stuff from there and only one had the luck of downloading a working file and burning it successfully to a cd.
The quality of the narrations is awful, at least in the books I managed to hear (only on windows media player, nothing else worked). If you're used to books on cd or tape, you're up for a big disappointment buying from audible.
On top of all that, they have the worst customer service I have ever witnessed. The site was not working right when I tried to purchase there for the first time. I sent them a message with no answer.
In a second attempt, I bought the stuff and some files never downloaded (which means they just stole my money and I don't know what I can do since I don't live in USA). I sent another message with no answer again.
Then their weird program, which turns Windows Media Player automatically on instead of working alone, showed no compatibility to Itunes and no possibility of burning cds or dreaming about hearing books on Ipod. I sent them a third message and nothing. A fourth and guess what? Nothing again.
So I am at least trying to warn other people here to avoid being caught by such scheme. I hope Amazon gets rid of audible as soon as possible. I always got great service from Amazon and the affiliated bookstores, or even other stores selling electronics, health products and others, but audible is just the worst company I ever wasted my money with. Too bad we cannot give notes to them like with the affiliated booksellers.
Sorry by the poor text, I am just mad with them.
on March 1, 2004
Authors Roger Fisher, William L. Ury and Bruce M. Patton offer a seminal step-by-step guide to negotiating effectively. The authors use anecdotal examples to illustrate both positive and negative negotiating techniques. They believe that, with principled negotiation, both parties can reach an agreement in an amicable and efficient manner. Principled negotiation is based on the belief that when each side comes to understand the interests of the other, they can jointly create options that are mutually advantageous, resulting in a wise settlement. Since this is the second edition, the authors take the opportunity to answer ten common questions from readers of the first edition. If you become skeptical about these fairly rosy negotiation techniques as you read, the Q and A section is very useful. This classic text is easy to understand and you can implement its techniques immediately. We can't ask for more than that.
on February 5, 2004
Incredible book! You will learn a lot about yourself and other people too. A must read!
on January 11, 2004
This book provides many practical examples on the art of negotiation. The author begins by encapsuling a negotiation into
a tri-parte process:
o It should produce a wise agreement if such a thing is possible
o It should be efficient.
o It should not damage the relationship between the parties.
A successful negotiation will meet the underlying concerns of the
parties. There are four points to a successful negotiation:
o Separate the people from the problem.
o Focus on interests and not positions.
o Generate a variety of possibilities.
o Insist that the result be based on an objective standard.
In addition, a good negotiation will present the various
options fairly. The parties should develop objective
criteria and fair procedures. When the other side attacks,
consider it as an option and improve upon it. Remember that
affirmative answers generate resistence and questions elicit
answers (thoughtful or otherwise). The essence of a principled
negotiation lays the foundation for a discussion of facts and
basic principles.
This work is a gold mine of advice on the art of negotiation.
It will help you to navigate through difficult situations artfully
while deflecting as much resistence as possible. This book will help you because it points out the
pitfalls of negotiations between parties; namely, adherence
to rigid positions, unwillingless to hear the other side and
attacks on people. The objective of a good negotiation is to
produce a fair result and to set forth rational guidelines
and rule structures for the parties to follow. This work
teaches contrary to the way people typically behave. As such,
it provides readers with scenarios that may not be in their
domain of everyday experience.
The author emphasizes the futility of adherence to rigid
positions without exploring alternatives and agreeing on
fair rule structures to evaluate the issues presented.
on January 9, 2004
This is a basic book on how to resolve things as peacefully as possible. It is not the sort of advanced text you'd expect if you are studying to become a professional mediator, but is rather aimed at people who could benefit from an introduction to (or review of) basic negotiation skills.
Some of these things are the sort of common sense people frequently think of (alas!) in hindsight - for instance, it talks about your 'best alternative to a negotiated solution'(before you demand that raise, ask yourself: how hard would it be for me to find a new job? Then: how hard would it be for my boss to replace me?) and how to set expectations against an objective standard - your position is much stronger if you are arguing based on the 'going rate', the usual practice, or some other outside measurement that an unbiased observer might consider a fair and reasonable expectation.
If you are divorcing, have a conflict with your landlord or neighbor, or want to get a better deal from your public schools with regards to your highly gifted or learning disabled child, it would definately pay off to read this book.