5.0 out of 5 stars Jack Whyte took out the fantasy of Arthur and put in reality
This is my first review on amazon but I think the effort that will go into it is only half of what it should be because the Saxon Shore was such a good book that I will be hard pressed not to find things to say about it.
Published on April 14 2002 by aeisenberg NDP World Lit 2

1.0 out of 5 stars The Great Train Wreck continues...
Published on Nov. 29 1998 by J. Angus Macdonald

5.0 out of 5 stars Jack Whyte took out the fantasy of Arthur and put in reality, April 14 2002
The Saxon Shore is the fourth book to the Camulod serious written by Jack Whyte. They all are a fabulous blends of History and Arthurian legend. In this particular book gives a detailed account of Merlyn's life and how he became the wizard we all think of him as. It is a new look at an old legend from a point of view that should have been put to use long before Whyte came along. The change in Merlyn from man of myth and legend like other Arthurian novels to a man of arms with problems and sorrows just like anyone else places this book on a level of its own. Although it is a very long book it is worth nearly every minute. It is a fantasy book, history lesson, and a great way to spend a rainy day all put into one. If you have every fell in love with knights, chivalry, or kings this book will restore that childhood dream or if it never left keep it burning bright. I know it has done so for me. If you ever just want to get away form life and find like me that a book helps this one is great for just that purpose. It has the ability to take you out of this time and to place you thousands of years ago with the characters your reading about. It makes Arthur seem like he really existed rather then just a character for our enjoyment. I look forward to reading the rest of the serious as soon as possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Historical fiction on a grand scale. . ., March 11 2001
Although this is ostensibly a review of "The Saxon Shore", it in actuality covers all four books of the series to date ("The Skystone", "The Singing Sword", "The Eagles' Brood", and "The Saxon Shore"), primarily focusing on the last two, since I've already written a review of the first two. Now, that I've totally lost you, I'll begin again. . .
This series, The Camulod Chronicles, outlines the story of King Arthur as it might have been in a historical perspective, beginning with the end of the Roman occupation of Britain. If there were such a person as Arthur, he would have lived during this time. Most likely, he was a composite character, based on some of the more influential warlords and petty kings of the day. As an aside, I am reminded of a vacation in southern England that my family took in 1995. My sons, who were 11 and 13 at the time, could not understand my excitement in viewing the ruins of Tintagel Castle in Cornwall, asking "How can this be the birthplace of someone who never was?" But, that's a different story. . .
The first two books of the series, which outlined the founding of Camulod (or Camelot) and Avalon and the forging of the sword Excalibur, were told from the viewpoint of an old Roman soldier. These last two books, which detail the birth of Arthur and his early boyhood years, are told from the viewpoint of Merlin, or, "Merlyn" in the Chronicles. As an avid reader of Arthurian legend and all its various retellings, let me tell you that the character of Merlin is probably one of the most varied of them all, probably due to the fact that he was actually a minor character in Mallory. Hence, the details are free to be filled in by the current chronicler. Merlin ranges from an evil wizard living backward in time to a benevolent sorcerer to merely a human being who is just a little smarter than most. The most esoteric version of Merlin can be found in Stephen Lawhead's Pendragon Cycle in which Merlin is the son of Charis, the last princess of Atlantis, and Taliesen, the greatest of the Celtic Bards. Except for the exotic birth, Jack Whyte's Merlyn has much in common with Lawhead's Merlin in that both were mortal men, though a little larger than life in that they were fierce warriors, outstanding field generals, and outstanding scholars. Also, neither possessed the true gift of magic, though they were believed to by the masses of humanity.
The Camulod Chronicles begin earlier than Mallory's "Le Morte D'Arthur", in a time that historically did occur, hence the tales carry an air of realism. The descriptions of the Roman influence on Britain in the late Fourth and early Fifth centuries are fascinating. The story unfolds at a leisurely pace, but the pages just keep on turning. The story is easy to follow as well as fun. There are those critics who complain that some of the dates given are inaccurate, as well as some of the situations. As Don Henley sang, "Get over it." This is historical *fiction* at it's finest, with the emphasis on *fiction*. Granted, there are differences between this series and others of its kind, but the abundant variety of viewpoints and details are what make Arthurian literature the great store that it is. The only "disconcerting" thing I've found so far is that the character of Vortigern (who was an actual person, by the way) is far more sympathetic in these tales than in others I've read. But, then, Jack Whyte has turned out such a magnum opus that I can only admire and respect his poetic license.
I have begun the fifth book of the series, "The Fort at River's Bend" and the level has not dropped. I will keep reading these books as long as Mr. Whyte keeps writing them (book 6 is in print and book 7 is due to be published later this year). So far, I consider this to be among the best Arthurian series' I have ever read. I would recommend them to anyone who has an interest in the Arthurian legend, anyone who has an interest in historical fiction, or both. As a bonus, anyone who likes these books would most likely like Stephen Lawhaead's Pendragon Cycle and Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy. The order you read them in is not important, though somewhere in the mix you should read Mallory to see where it all began. I love Arthurian fiction and fact, and, after reading these books, I'm sure a lot of the rest of you will, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've read them all, and I love them!, April 27 2000
Joseph H Pierre "Joe Pierre" (Salem, OR USA) - See all my reviews
I only review books that I like. It seems to me childish and petty to attack an author's work simply because you don't like it. I usually don't bother to finish books I don't like, let alone waste time reviewing them. Why would anyone continue to read a book that bores them?

I have bought and read all six of Jack Whyte's Camulod Chronicles: The Skystone; The Singing Sword; Eagle's Brood; The Saxon Shore; Fort at River's Bend and The Sorcerer. It is a great series, and I enjoyed each one of them.

It is to be expected that Whyte departs from the (rather sketchy) history Aavailable of the period, in a fiction series. And yet he has done his research, obviously, which is important to me in historical novels.

There have been several very good books written about the pre-Arthurian period in England, many of which I've read. Jack Whyte's worked ranks right at the top, with me. I am familiar with what history is available, having read much of the period, and his research effort is obvious.

He begins with a couple of Roman legionaires as his protagonists, before the Legions pulled out of England: Publius Varrus and Caius Brittanicus. The series then follows their lives and their family's lives through a series of gripping adventures, as they strive to maintain order and peace on the colony they have created in the South of England.

Publius Varrus, a blacksmith, creates a great and beautiful sword from a meteorite before he dies, which he names Excalibur, King Arthur's famous blade. Of course, eventually the series chronicles the lives of Merlyn (Merlin) and Arthur.

I was caught up in the story, and I strongly recommend it. It is entertaining and a delightful way to learn a bit of history. Buy them, you won't be sorry.

Joseph Pierre,
author of THE ROAD TO DAMASCUS: Our Journey Through Eternity

1.0 out of 5 stars The Great Train Wreck continues..., Nov. 29 1998
J. Angus Macdonald "bibliovore" (Concord, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I have to wonder to myself why I even bother to continue reading this man's work (see my previous reviews of the earlier volumes). If he wrote purely as fantasy the world would pass him off as a hack, but as a writer of historical fiction he should be drummed out of the club. Has the man never read even the basics of Celtic culture? Surely with all the hundreds of books available on the subject he should be able to find something! His knowledge of the era is fascinatingly scanty and he fills it in with such wild speculation that one is tempted to believe tha aliens are at work. The plot, once again, happens -- there is no reason for anything to happen, but it happens anyway. The characters are caricatures. The relation to the Arthurian legends is even scantier then the relation to history. This man is an awful writer. Camelot 3000 is more plausible than this tripe.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Once and Future King Lives Again, Nov. 25 1999
michaeljcallahan (Merchantville, New Jersey) - See all my reviews
Jack Whyte's chronicles get better as they continue. The Roman history is a fascinating read and is easy to follow for anyone not familiar with the Roman conquests and traditions. The continuing adventures of Caius,Lucanus,Connor, Shelagh, and their charges , their friends and their enemies, continues. Jack Whyte weaves a tale of mystery, history, and reality in a DICKENEST fashion. His characters are unforgettable and it will be a sad day for me when I complete the Chronicles. What a set of films these stories would make. I can see all of my heroes and their adventures in my mind, the character descriptions are so vivid. I mourned the death of Caius and of Varrus and of Picus as I would mourn the death of any close friend. The memories created by the Camulod Chronicles will be with me to the end of my days!

2.0 out of 5 stars Even hedonistically it's not very good, Jan. 12 2000
By A Customer
This book isn't that bad, but it certainly isn't that great, either. Overall unremarkable next to so many other excellent historical fiction novels or just plain adventurous fantasy novels. This book would be much better if the characters weren't caricatures, if the dialogue wasn't so artificial, generally if the writing were up to the standards of the field. But I enjoyed it in the way that I sometimes enjoy junk food. So I don't care about the historical accuracy of this book, the problem with this book is the sophomoric writing and all-around sub-standard story-telling.

3.0 out of 5 stars Arthurian Junkies, Feb. 22 2000
By A Customer
I have enjoyed these books although they have a recipe that is a little heavy. Anyone who is addicted to the Arthur / Merlin stories might enjoy these as well. They do offer another [yet] perspective on that great enigma. That probably won't deter anyone who is a junkie. What is it lacking ? A little of the Magic I think so it doesn't rate as highly as the Cornwall stories nor some of the others. On the other hand it tries to give one a sense of the times as they actually were and does that reasonably well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Whyte light shines through holes in old story., Dec 19 1998
L. Cyphert "Laura" (San Diego, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
If you're looking for a history lesson, you shouldn't be reading Aurtharian tales in the first place. If it's epic, high-adventure, in a realistic setting you crave then you'll be satiated. Jack Whyte's re-telling of the dusty legend brings life and color to an other-wise "dark age." He beautifully, and sometimes starkly, synthesizes the historical and mythical tales. The result is a marathon, page-turning session which leaves one on the edge of his seat.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but padded, May 17 2001
Beverley Strong (Australia) - See all my reviews
While I enjoyed book 4 in this series,I can't help but feel that this is just a bridge between the days of the colony and what is obviously about to follow in book 5.The scenes are graphic and very well written and I have never before read historical works which spring to life in such reality.Mr Whyte is without doubt a master story teller but I just wanted to hurry through this one to get to "The Fort at River Bend" (which fortunately,I already possessed)

5.0 out of 5 stars For All the Fans Who Love the Legend of King Arthur, Sept. 29 1999
By A Customer
Amazing. I am not done with the book yet (I got a few 300 pages to go) But I recommend to anyone who loves the legend of King Arthur. It's long but worth reading. I bought it last week and I have not put it done since (only to eat and shower etc.) It was confusing to me at first because I did not know that this book is part of a series and there are 3 books before, but I still love it anyway..and I'm going to read the first 3!!

The Saxon Shore (A Dream of Eagles, Book 4)
The Saxon Shore (A Dream of Eagles, Book 4) by Jack Whyte (Mass Market Paperback - April 29 2005)
CDN$ 11.99 CDN$ 10.79