biss boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on December 7, 1999
Kim is an amazing book but Kipling uses very hard English that I cant even understand in such a short novel. This book is great for people who speak Indianish but for Americans it's very tough.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 16, 2016
Not as good as I expected
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 25, 2003
Am I missing something here? Apparently. I found Kipling's writing extremely stilted and archaic, in a bad way (not in a say, Shakespeare way). The characters were one-dimensional, and the plot was heaped with deus-ex-machinas. I had to struggle to get through every page, and force myself to read a designated amount each night in order to finish it (it took me almost a week, and it's not a long book). The writing is filled with colloquialisms and foreign expressions, and I had to constantly flip to the Endnotes to decipher the code, which was extremely inconvenient. I did learn something about India and its history, and I can't wait to read a better novel on the subject.