Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on December 7, 1999
Kim is an amazing book but Kipling uses very hard English that I cant even understand in such a short novel. This book is great for people who speak Indianish but for Americans it's very tough.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 25, 2003
Am I missing something here? Apparently. I found Kipling's writing extremely stilted and archaic, in a bad way (not in a say, Shakespeare way). The characters were one-dimensional, and the plot was heaped with deus-ex-machinas. I had to struggle to get through every page, and force myself to read a designated amount each night in order to finish it (it took me almost a week, and it's not a long book). The writing is filled with colloquialisms and foreign expressions, and I had to constantly flip to the Endnotes to decipher the code, which was extremely inconvenient. I did learn something about India and its history, and I can't wait to read a better novel on the subject.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse