5.0 out of 5 stars Eastern philosophy made simple by Piglet...of course!
If you're like me, you've never really understood the mystical and murky meanings of
Eastern philosophies. I had that humanities class and all, but it never really sunk in while I
was sitting in the lecture hall behind some giggling freshman. These amazingly simple
books have taught me the secrets of life and happiness. Well, not really, but they do...
Published on Dec 17 1996

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading and dissapointing.
I thoughrouly enjoyed and learned from the Toa of Pooh. The Te of Piglet seemed like little more than Mr Hoff's attempt to rub the success of the first book in the face of his critics.
Published on July 14 2004 by Katsurina

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading and dissapointing., July 14 2004
This review is from: The Te of Piglet (Paperback)
The theoretical intention of the book was to explain the concept of Te and applying it to piglet for the western audiance. You could probably sum up everything he had to say about it on one page. Or one quote from the New Testament: "Blessed are the meek." He didn't really say much more than that on the subject.
What the book really seemed to be about was Eeyore. How Eeyore was against him, how Eeyore was wrong, how Eeyore never does anything, how Eeyore started all the wars... I often forgot the book was even supposed to be about piglet.
He devotes a lot of time, especially near the end to various political issues, such as the destruction of the redwood forest. A worthy cause, and some of his other's may also be worthy, but he doesn't make it clear at all what any of it has to do with Piglet. He probably should have written a different book entirely.
This book was less about Taoism and personal growth than it was a lesson in learning to ignore people who don't agree with you. And if you didn't know Benjamin Hoff Personally, and never told him the idea of the Toa of Pooh was stupid, then the core message wasn't meant for you. To those who is was meant for, allow me to paraphrase: I told you so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eastern philosophy made simple by Piglet...of course!, Dec 17 1996
By A Customer
This review is from: The Te of Piglet (Paperback)
teach you the way to get through life without life getting to you. Better than the Stress
Ball and less expensive than a trip to a swanky health spa, it has been helpful to me. Hoff
explains Taoism through beloved characters from the Winnie-the-Pooh stories by A.A.
Milne. Yes, that's right, Pooh. I know it sounds weird, but it really works. These books
are very charming, funny, and witty. I now understand Taoist philosophy (I think), Pooh,
and Piglet better. I'm sure some Eastern philosophers are annoyed (or rolling over in their
graves) at these books, but, hey, it's the only way Americans are every gonna understand
it at all!
[...]

1.0 out of 5 stars Good example of hypocrisy, Nov. 1 2003
SplatW, (Carlsbad, NM United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Te of Piglet (Paperback)
Definetly not as good as the first. I really couldn't get over the condecending tone towards the whole loveable cast of my childhood heros. The chapter criticising feminism outraged me highly...It showed the authors obvious lack of understanding of what feminism is, even at its core, much less the understanding that there are an unlimited number of "breeds" of feminism...
The whole book is hypocritical...the author spends all his time complaining about how in the wrong people who complain all the time are...
Don't bother with this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you struggle with shoelaces, you'll love it!, Feb. 8 2004
Turd Ferguson (The Civilized West) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Te of Piglet (Paperback)
This is the kind of book that appeals to deep thinkers. You know the sort, the folks who think that "innuendo" is a brand of Italian suppositories.
If you loved Hoff's anti-scientific ravings which you read under electrically powered lights in an air-conditioned room, then used your computer to post your sycophantic droolings to the internet and do *not* see the stunning inconsistency in your worldview/lifestyle, you will similarly fail to understand the following:
Hoff explains on p.191 how his MARTIAL ARTS INSTRUCTOR was ambushed by armed thugs and the MARTIAL ARTIST came out ahead *merely because he is small*. His training had nothing to do with it. We are meant to believe Mike Tyson doesn't fight Bantam-weights for *his* *own* *protection*.
The Neo-luddite rant gets old, especially when coupled with Hoff's inability to reason. Yes, I know "reason" is a bourgeois concept but it figures so prominently in the real world. The only contributions of the West worth mentioning are velcro and telescopes. The latter he uses to gaze longingly at a fictionally romanticized China. The former he uses to replace shoelaces. D@amnably pesky, oppressive, and over-complicated shoelaces!
If Hoff is an intellectually stimulating read for you, you need to seriously evaluate your reading list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even Better than the "Tao of Pooh"!, Oct. 14 2003
Giant Panda (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Te of Piglet (Paperback)
This sequel of the masterpiece "Tao of Pooh" beats the original in terms of density of ideas and clarity of presentation. It is nearly double the size of "The Tao of Pooh", hence gave me double the pleasure of reading it. Having read A.A. Milne's Pooh classics, and having thoroughly enjoyed the "Tao of Pooh", it was only natural that I buy this book and have more fun learning about Taoism through the enjoyable adventures of Pooh and Piglet.
This volume focuses on the various Piglet stories, showing us how smallness can be a virtue (Te). It recounts Piglet's myriad adventures: the Heffalump, Owl's house episode, and encounters with Tigger and Eeyore to teach us about philosophical truths: things can look different that what they are, one needs to find their place and live in harmony with nature, etc. Actually, in almost an imperceptible way the author gets us to think about fundamental issues that are at the core of our relationship with the modern world. For example, how the West borrowed early scientific knowledge from the East but did not borrow the philosophical basis behind that knowledge. Since I pursue a science career, this particular issue triggers an important bell for me. One can almost sense an anti-science substratum in the book, yet as a scientist I cannot help agree with the author in many cases. Science today is like a vehicle running amok without a driver. Is this really good for us? Why aren't we even asking ourselves these questions? At least Benjamin Hoff does, and he deserves an open ear.
Of course, not all the ideas are developed into an indisputable treatise. This book is classified as "humor" after all. This is perhaps appropriate since the Taoist attitude to life also depends on humor to some extent. Pooh and Piglet, the humorous characters who do not take themselves seriously are in a way the perfect vehicle to illustrate ancient Taoist principles. This is a highly recommended book!

5.0 out of 5 stars The virtue of the small, July 8 2003
FrKurt Messick "FrKurt Messick" (Bloomington, IN USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Te of Piglet (Paperback)
If Pooh is the embodiment of the Tao, the Piglet is the embodiment of the Te, the Chinese word and principle for Virtue. Benjamin Hoff, in his first book 'The Tao of Pooh' talks about the religio-philosophical tradition of Taoism, and in this follow-up book, he explores in more detail with Piglet, who felt neglected in the first volume, but felt it only natural considering he's a Very Small Animal (and life is not always easy for a Very Small Animal), the concept of virtue, or the Te.
The Te is not so easily contained in the word virtue, however. 'It is instead a quality of special character, spiritual strength, or hidden potential unique to the individual--something that comes from the Inner Nature of things. And something, we might add, that the individual who possess it may be quite unaware of--as is the case with Piglet through most of the Pooh stories.'
Of course, virtue un-enacted is a Very Small Virtue, indeed, so it become the responsibility of those with a Te to bring it forward in transformation. A Very Small Virtue, like a Very Small Animal, can be a good thing if the dreaded Heffalump comes by -- it might not get squashed; it might be ignored. But this is not the way of the Te.
The Te such as Piglet's can overcome distraction such as the Tigger Tendency -- the tendency to bounce off in different directions simply because they feel good. It can also help overcome the increasing drive toward acquisition (a Very Small Animal doesn't need Very Many Things; a society with cares for Virtue must not have an overpowering care for Things).
The modern person tends to overlook the small virtues in favour of Progress, in pursuit of reaching a potential, which 'is seen as an increase of tools'. Of course, with more tools we can do more stuff! And with more stuff, we can make yet more tools!
The trend is not only material, but academic and philosophical, too. 'Western philosophy, having little connection with everyday living, is (to this observer, at least) comparatively egocentric and impractical, with much Arguing and Theorising, and much bounding back and forth across the intellectual landscape--a pleasant, part-time diversion formulated by and aimed at the likes of Owl, Rabbit, and sometimes Eeyore, but not particularly supportive of the likes of Piglet and Pooh.'
Of course, one has an image to maintain, too. This is the point of existence of some Owls, who must be able to spell TUESDAY to gain respect, even if they postulate that any 'variant' of the spelling is sufficient. (Some lessons are repeated from The Tao of Pooh, because they are Very Important Lessons, and some people won't read both books, being of Very Little Time).
The Te is subtle and compassionate. It is not vocal, it is not loud. Lao-tse wrote, 'The skilled worker leaves no tracks' -- the worker is so at one with nature that no disturbance is made. Certainly making a broad show of Virtue is to cause a disturbance.
And yet, it is vital that virtue be prominent in action and life. What is a Very Small Animal to do?
After much more searching and being, Piglet arrives at the stage where he can finally be positive, to ward off the Eeyore effects, and thus attract positive with positive, attract virtue with virtue, in a low-key and subtle form. And finally, Piglet, a Very Small Animal of seemingly no consequence, attains recognition: 'Piglet, Esq. My Dear Sir: The Board of Regents of Sandhurst University wish me to inform you of their desire to grant you an honorary degree of Brave Animal (B.A.). We should be most pleased if you could be present at the awards ceremony, which shall be held on...'
Piglets in the world, unite! Take a lesson, perhaps from one of the most Piglet-y figures of our century, Mohandas Gandhi -- a frail and shy man, frightened by crowds and a Very Small Animal in many ways. But with a great and irresistably subtle Te, virtue, that defeated the greatest empire on earth (a Very Big Animal indeed) without an army, and without backing down.
Every ending is a beginning. Now Piglet's tale is over. Now you must begin.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Te of Piglet, April 8 2003
The Te of Piglet,
Taoism as Described Through the Famous Lovable Character of Piglet
The Te of Piglet, written by Benjamin Hoff, is not your ordinary run of the mill novel. While most novels have a plot and a conflict, The Te of Piglet is educational in nature. The Te of Piglet continues to teach Taoism, an ancient Chinese philosophy, much like the book's predecessors, The Tao of Pooh.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I am a person who gets bored while reading straight information; I need the knowledge to be presented in an interesting and fascinating way. That is why I love The Te of Piglet. I can't think of a better way to talk about philosophy than through familiar lovable characters that we know from our childhood. I thoroughly enjoyed the way Hoff combined interaction with the characters, ancient stories, other philosophers and his own ideas. This allowed for the teachings of the beliefs of Taoism in a way that is easy to understand and interesting to read. I would highly suggest this book to anyone who either enjoys different, ancient philosophy or simply is a fan of Winnie the Pooh. This was a great read!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book!, April 8 2003
The Te of Piglet,
Taoism as Described Through the Famous Lovable Character of Piglet

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Stuff, Jan. 30 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Te of Piglet (Paperback)
Hoff uses the Te of Piglet both as a platform to illustrate some Taoist principles and a platform to show how out of wack our current "ideal lifestyle" is so far from that. A lot of the earlier reviews complain that Hoff uses the book to bash Republicans and Woman he does neither. He uses the book to point out the hypocrisy between what certain segments of our population say and then do, the funny thing is the book was published in 1993, and his points are more poignant now then perhaps they were even then. This is the first time I've ever written a reviw on amazon[.com] but the Te of Piglet is that good of a book. The Tao of Pooh was a great book, but it's sort of like life as it could be, the Te of Piglet is more about about Taoism from life as it is. I think that's why so many people like the Tao of Pooh more...it's much easier to like an idealization of a place a thousand years in the past (or in fiction) then it is to realize that Taoism isn't dead and we need to actively find it or we get the Confused, and Destructive world we currently have.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as pithy as the Tao of Pooh, March 22 2002
Jeffrey Leeper "kem2070" (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Te of Piglet (Hardcover)
The "Te of Piglet" was written as a companion to "The Tao of Pooh," which was written about ten years prior to this. Since the Piglet book was written in 1992, perhaps we will be hearing of another such book from Hoff.
Although this book is almost 100 pages longer than "The Tao of Pooh," I could not shake feeling that I did not get as much information. There are more quotations (from Buddhist, Taoist, and Confucian texts, as well as from the Pooh stories, Henry David Thoreau, and Arthur Conan Doyle) in this book to illustrate ideas. Hoff also uses examples of Dickens and Gandhi. Unfortunately, I feel that there are more quotes and less discussion of their meaning.
Much of the discussion concerns our world as we know it. This book has a more "political" slant to it, which makes me feel that he was getting off topic. I understand, upon reflection, that this is incorrect because the purpose of understanding Taoism is to see it in the everyday. The insight is appreciated, but I finished the book feeling more overwhelmed than empowered.
As a text to help us examine our lives, I would recommend this text.

The Te of Piglet
The Te of Piglet by Benjamin Hoff (Paperback - Oct. 21 1993)
CDN$ 16.00 CDN$ 11.55