5.0 out of 5 stars I am a huge Jodi Picoult fan.
Published on April 4 2003 by J. N Sandell

1.0 out of 5 stars novel of codependency
Published on Sept. 20 2002 by karen mulhern

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a huge Jodi Picoult fan., April 4 2003
J. N Sandell "So many books, so little time" (Maplewood, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harvesting the Heart: A Novel (Paperback)
I have now read three novels by Jodi Picoult and have loved every one. This is a good book about relationships, motherhood and the choices we make. The book centers around Paige and Nicholas Prescott. Paige is a co-dependent mother who has recently given birth to a son, but who seriously doubts her abilities as a parent. So, she leaves her son with his father for a time and goes off in search of answers about herself, her mother and her life. As we as the reader travel with Paige throughout this journey of self discovery, we find out that Paige is indeed a strong woman in her own right. Nicholas Prescott is a Cardiologist at the top of his game, he is very stoic however and has a bit of a God complex. He goes through a transformation of his own and soon we are able to get a glimpse at what at his good qualities as well and also see what agood father he is. This is a good book to curl up with on a rainy Sunday afternoon. Ms. Picoult is a masterful writer who gets the reader involved in the lives of her characters and really makes you care about them. More than once since finishing this book, I have wondered how Nicholas and Paige are doing.

1.0 out of 5 stars novel of codependency, Sept. 20 2002
karen mulhern (Vero Beach, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harvesting the Heart: A Novel (Paperback)
After reading the many glowing reviews of this book, i feel compelled to say "i disagree". I found this book disturbing and unsettling and feel Paige, the story's protagonist, was treated very abusively by her husband. What unfolds throughout this novel is a tale of co-dependency,despite the appearance of recovery at the denouement--motherless young woman runs away from home after an abortion only to marry and becomes pregnant by a stoic surgeon. When post partum depression strikes, she abandons her child and husband and sets off to find her mother. the two reconnect during a 3mo visit in which paige develops self respect and realizes she has to love herself if she is to truly love others.
Armed with new self awareness, she returns to her baby and husband, but is rudely rebuffed. at this point, i felt the character development COMPLETELY fell apart on ALL LEVELS making me lose interest in how the book would end; however, i kept slogging through, hoping she'd see the light (and a lawyer) to file for divorce and custody...Unfortunately, neither happens---she allows herself to be treated EXTREMELY disrespectfully by her husband, who slams doors (both literal and figurative) in her face, speaks harshly, and is emotionally abusive. In short, he is the same person he was before she left, while she is not. A real woman, armed with newfound self esteem would NOT tolerate these things, or say "i'll do whatever it takes to make him love me again",
that a female author would write this type of ending, disturbs me. harvesting the heart COULD have been a wonderful piece of women's literature--the writing style was excellent and structurally it was sound--but it sunk to romance novel level with this very weak cliche-ridden ending.
not at all what i've come to expect from penquin press.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unsettling and brilliant, July 28 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Harvesting the Heart: A Novel (Paperback)
How could ANYONE not like every book this author has written? Granted I've only read three of her works, but if the others are as good as this one and SECOND GLANCE, I'll be coming back for more. If you like well-thought out and well-written books; books such as THE BARK OF THE DOGWOOD and MIDDLESEX--books which aren't afraid to "go there," then you'll love this one. What a brave author Picoult is--brave in that she's not afraid to let you "into" the story. She doesn't overly filter her work for the sake of commercialism and correctness. I love this author!

3.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment!, June 14 2003
This review is from: Harvesting the Heart: A Novel (Paperback)
AFter reading many of the reviews in here, I went to buy the book, excited to read it! Well, it only took me 3 months to finish it! I just couldn't pick it up! It was a chore to get thru this one. I so enjoyed the Plain Truth but Harvesting the Heart just didn't flow as well. Very tough to stay interested. However, the last 100 pages were very good and the only part of the book worth reading. I'm now a bit hesitant to read a third Judy Picoult book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed!, Sept. 18 2011
Valerie Christie (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harvesting the Heart: A Novel (Paperback)
After having read "My Sisters Keeper" and then "Nineteen Minutes" I was excited to start this book. Was I ever disappointed! This book was awful. The entire story was BORING and I just never understood the connection between Paige and Nicholas. I despised Nicholas and by the end of the book i was so sick of reading about Paige's drawings... I don't even know why I finished the book?!? I think i was hoping that in the end something spectacular would happen and it would have all been worth reading... but I was't this lucky. I am very hesitant about trying another Jodi Picoult book now.Darn.

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm surprised at how poor this is, Aug. 19 2011
This review is from: Harvesting the Heart: A Novel (Paperback)
I'm not a big fan of 'female' themed books, nor of books that are meticulously researched and then regurgitated... This book is, unfortunately, both. Long passages of boring medical bits, long descriptions of pretentious horse stuff. Don't care. Cliched, and frankly I'm surprised at how poor this book is. I enjoyed Plain Truth, but now after having read a second book, I'm thinking that her writing style is too forced for me. Too much research crammed in unnecessarily. Too much "what would happen if..." that stretches the realm of possibility. Really? Paige draws things and doesn't know what is hidden in each of her drawings until she's finished? Really? Good grief.

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to relate, Dec 20 2009
A. Henrickson (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harvesting the Heart: A Novel (Paperback)
The story of Paige and Nicholas starts on a hopeful note and promises an interesting premise. However, as the story developed I found Paige difficult to relate to and the characters cold and distant. I am a mother of 2 and didn't understand the characters' actions or the outcome of the book. Although I agree that Picoult is a skilled story teller, I just couldn't find myself liking the story enough and had to force myself to finish it. The ending left me just as indifferent as my feelings toward the characters. The book is decent based on the quality of writing but the story and character development are lacking.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read before your first baby is born; for mothers and fathers to be., July 7 2009
Vesna Bonac "Avid reader" (Vancouver, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harvesting the Heart: A Novel (Paperback)
This book is a lovely, truthful, description of young women, of motherhood, of young fathers. Of, course very entertaining, a great story teller, but the main effect on the reader is emotional: this is what young mothers go through, this is the misunderstanding that fathers feel. It would be great if a young couple would could this novel before their first child is born, perhaps to prevent so much heartbreak. Happy ending as it should be for the young parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a huge Jodi Picoult fan., April 5 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a huge Jodi Picoult fan., April 5 2003

Harvesting the Heart: A Novel
Harvesting the Heart: A Novel by Jodi Picoult (Paperback - May 3 1995)
CDN$ 20.00 CDN$ 14.44