Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store NFL Tools

Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$17.59+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(2 star)show all reviews
on August 29, 1997
Although I think the story of Jerry Kaplan and GO is great and worth reading, this poorly written book makes it extremely difficult to get into the meat of the story. Here's an example of what I'm talking about in Chapter 6: The Proposal:

"In my years of making business trips, this was the first time my host ever met me at the airport. Norm Vincent was accompanied by his wife, Donna, a practical and even-tempered woman thirteen years his junior. Her short brown hair and trim figure suggested an interest in sports. As with everything else in town, they seemed the perfect pair: he looked like a model for Grecian Formula, she looked like an athlete on a Wheaties box."

This style of writing is evident throughout the book and it is annoying. The style is "talk about things that have absolutely nothing to do the subject at hand." In other words, do I really care that the woman has a trim figure that suggests an interest in sports? Only if it is important later in the chapter or book. So far, I haven't seen it. Maybe I skipped it in my zeal to get around the drudgingly boring parts, of which there are many in this book.

Jerry - when you write a book about Onsale, please leave out all the descriptive aspects that are not necessary. Please also leave out the structured dialog that sounds fake and canned. People don't talk like this in real life.

Again, like I said, great story - GRATE writing
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on June 20, 2001
This is a pretty good read by an exceedingly arrogant businessman who seems more often than not to forget that he failed and, moreover, is clueless why. His knowledge of business is about 50th percentile. His knowledge of government is at best 10th. Lots of 50thth percentile businesspeople make it. If you're naive about government - as Mr Kaplan surely was - about the best you can do is whine about that mean old Bill Gates while your company goes belly up. Read it and weep -- or laugh.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again