Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

on September 18, 2015
Great read!
on March 14, 2014
My daughter was doing a documentary on this topic and wanted this book - she loved it. She found a lot of material that helped her.
on August 4, 2004
I'll get right to the point. I served in Croatia during the same time period of the first half of the book (1993). I watched whole villages be ethnically cleansed while being prevented from entering the area by the perpertrators tanks. I stared down the barrels of automatic weapons while trying to establish a buffer zone between the beligerents. I walked through areas where the only thing alive was myself and the other guys in my section. I slept 10 feet from the 3 day old corpse of an old woman. I came home to a country where the majority of the people I encountered didn't know, didn't care, and didn't want to believe me. I still have nightmares, and this book has brought them back with a vengence. This book is real.
on February 10, 2004
It was a breath of fresh air to read a piece of literature on the Bosnian conflict from such a personal standpoint. While Loyd, as a outsider to the war, writes effectively of the tumult of myriad forces and fronts within Bosnia, he also brings to light a fascinating dynamic of conflict and terror as a drug to the soul of modern, lost Man. Although I would have liked to read more of his musings on this, I am impressed nonetheless by it's presence. The ineffable horror witnessed by Loyd coupled with his conscious opposition towards journalistic convention deem My War Gone By, I Miss It So well worthy of a read.
Of course, there are certain aspects of the story which could be expanded upon as well as cut out. But overall, especially having spent some time in Bosnia and the former Yugoslavia right after the war, I find it a laudable effort.
on June 10, 2002
This is a very good book. While not perfect by any stretch, it is a very good look at a side of the world that few appreciate in the West.
Firstly, the writing is acutly personal. The thing that prevents this getting five stars is the lengthy introspective part on his family. It doesnt really contribute to the point that he is trying to make- heroin and conflict are addictive, and it just tends to blunt the main messages of the book.
Secondly, the description of the characters and events he has dealt with are as good as it gets. I to have served overseas and the descriptions he uses are accurate and correct.
The book gives you littles insight into why the conflict occurs, but if you want to get an insight into the addiction to conflict and hatred that drives the war, the book is worth its price for the introductory chapter alone.
Buy it, I do not think you will regret it.
on May 21, 2002
Its hard to describe this book. It is a 1st hand look at war in the modern age up-close, not from a soldier's eye but from a guy that just wanted to see what the front looks like. He found in effect that there is no front anymore. Shells drop in marketplaces, civilians are shot by snipers far away and even so-called UN peacekeepers are of no help to the fleeing hordes. Violence is all over, and he finds that he really does not have to go looking far to find it.
on March 29, 2002
What a great book, and a bit horrifying. Loyd's fascination with war and death is unnerving, but his passion for human life, shown in his fury against unchecked violence, redeems his work from a slide into blackness.
The writing is fantastic, and he maintains a great rhythm.
The book combines Loyd's personal journey, largely his downtime away from the front ( which reads like Irvine Welsch) and frontline reporting. The personal account harmonizes and competes with his experiences in war. Although I'm not a soldier, his stress and bits of self destruction show themselves as the book develops, his work conveys the bludgeoning a soldier might take after seeing so much death.
Thanks for the work Anthony! I hope you are doing well.
on March 27, 2002
just finished this book moments ago, two years after it was published.
i'm in awe - and yes, i'm still confused as to what happened over there, which i'm inclined to think was the point.
i'm glad he wasn't biased or part of an organized military effort in bosnia, i'm glad he had no interest in journalism, and i'm glad he went there running, hiding, and seeking. for once, we were able to see the mess that was through the eyes of a civilian brave enough (or stupid enough) to step up to the front lines, albeit someone who left as confused as any of the rest of us. at least he saw the truth, and made it home to write about it.
in the end, i'm still confused as to whether loyd's a fatalist or a truth seeker - maybe he's both.
on December 19, 2001
First let me preface this by saying that I am a U.S. Army Officer who served in Bosnia for 7 months commanding an Engineer Company. We did a lot of counter-mine operations. I dealt with the Muslims and the Serbs at almost a personal level on a daily basis. After I returned, I longed to get some insight into what motivated and drove these people to do the atrocities they did. I was hoping Loyd's front-line accounts would fill in some clues. Unfortunately, I found this book wanting in many substantive areas. The reader will appreciate some of his personal anecdotes with all the former warring factions, but will gain little practical information.
HOWEVER, I applaud him on his effort. It takes gutts to do what he did, and then write about it. ANTHONY LOYD, IF YOU ARE READING THIS, I SALUTE YOU for throwing aside your press objectivity when you had to and helping that Bosnian Family during the firefight. You did the right thing!
In closing, to get a "taste" of Bosnia, read this book. To gain a deep appreciation for what is going on there, keep searching.
on September 20, 2001
Anthony Loyd provides a personal perspective of the war in Bosnia that is truly magnificent. His account is honest and direct; a magnificent exploration of the devastating effects of war, both on those who wage it and those who witness it, as retold through a pseudo-narrative of his experiences -- leading up to, during, and immediately following -- the Bosnian war, where he was a correspondent.
The experiences of Mr. Loyd are beautifully enhanced by his magnificent writing and the reader, at the end of the book, is left with the distinct impression that (s)he has been allowed a privileged glimpse into a world most of us are blessed not to hav witnessed, but which we all have a duty to know.
Mr. Loyd deserves high praise for his work, and I recommend this book to absolutely everyone.