Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store Fall Tools

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(1 star)show all reviews
on October 4, 2001
Interesting and fun because there is more to the tale than you first think there is or is there? My first impression was that Haroun is a pre-Pratchett fairystory but in the tradition of Arabian Nights. It is, of course, an oral fantasy, a work of fiction about fiction itself, Rushdie asking what is the point of a story if it isn't true? The point is, as every child will tell you, that fiction makes you feel better because it's fun and also brightens up our complications.
In a way there are similarities between Rushdie and I in that we both use our natal country (his being India, mine being Romania) as a vechicle, as roots for the pudding of our fiction.
on February 2, 2002
The book is dull and predictable. The stories unoriginal. If you like subcontinental novels there is much better and if you like and want to support anti-Muslim writers just send him a check. That will at least save hours of your life reading this indifferent book.
on February 15, 2004
I'm sure you have all already read about the begining of the book, so I am just going to start: This book is horrible.
Once i picked it up, i was sort of hooked, waiting for more things to happenl; but they didn't. The whole book, Haroun is just flying around on his magical Hoopoe or something. The ending scene wasn't even too good. Nothing happened in the book. But poor me, i had to keep on reading it as a class assignment. I would've put it down right on the second page if i could. My teacher loved it, but the rest of my class hated it. We were all falling asleep while we were reading it. 14 year olds should not have to go through this kind of torture with Haroun. If you have ever read the Phantom Tollbooth, and loved it, read this...it is just the Asian version of it.
on December 22, 2003
This book is written with quite beautiful laguage and wonderfully descriptive words. Rushdie's talent to form perfect pictures with words and to let you enjoy it while he does is unique. Sadly, I'm afraid his ability with words is wasted on this book (and possible all his books, but this is the only one that I've read).
This book is often said to be a fairytale for both children and adults, but I couldn't posssible agree. I am only fourteen years old, but I could not stand this book. I don't see how any adult could find any value in this book, besides the language. I can't even really grasp how anyone below the age of seven would find this book enjoyable.
Haroun, the protagonist, has absolutely no motivation throughout the entire book. Nothing he does seems believable, from yelling at his father for no reason, to simply telling the supposedly terrifying antagonist, that he reminds him of a man he knows back home. A sub-plot in the story is Haroun's inability to pay attention for more than 11 minutes, which simply goes away at the end of the book, and is supposed to be character development. ABSOLUTELY nothing happened throughout the book to cause this change, he just is suddenly able to concentrate longer.
This doesn't even scratch the surface of the problems in the book. Rushdie uses pathetic tools to give the reader information, such as the antagonist walking around his boat with Haroun, carefully telling him all his evil plans, not to mention a secret way to escape from the boat if he really needs to.
Don't buy this book. It is an incredibly lacking story that shouldn't have been published and would not be half as talked about if the author hadn't been so controversial in his other books.