5.0 out of 5 stars a great book
Rose has lost her mother & father & has been left in the care of her uncle.Rose is afraid of having to be around all 7 of her cousins which are all boys. Rose gets used to all of her cousins and has many good times with them.Rose enjoyes living with her uncle & aunts.I have read this book 3 times & love it alot.I dont know who would dot like it.
Published on Jan. 26 2004 by amber

3.0 out of 5 stars Can I get Jamie in an adult size?
My friend's daughter was reading this recently, and I picked it up to see how it looked to me again. I read it when I was 8 or so, and liked it, but not enough to put in my regular rotation. I like the idea of such a close family, and the idea of seven boys living with a girl cousin and *not* giving her a hard time! Although the mores are ridiculously conservative by...
Published on April 19 2001 by Rilchiam

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Growing up by none other than Louisa May Alcott!, Feb. 3 2004
Andrea (Newark, DE USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eight Cousins (Paperback)
I had to read an audio book for a school project, and i chose "Eight Cousins". It is about Rose Campbell, her rowdy seven boy cousins, and her many aunts and uncles! Her guardian, doctor, and uncle, Alec, is trying to restore the rosiness in Rose's yellow cheeks. He prescribes many odd diganoses that amazingly work. Rose changes from a frail child to a warm, caring, and hearty young woman. I'm sure many other readers will laugh and cry as the touching chapters of any Alcott book are turned--I know i did! But I'd recommened this book for girls, of any age, instead of boys!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Growing up, by none other than Louisa May Alcott!, Feb. 3 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Eight Cousins (Paperback)
I had to read an audio book for a school report, and "Eight Cousins" was the one I picked out. "Eight Cousins is about Rose Campbell: now orphaned and raised improperly by her two great aunts. Then along comes her guardian, Uncle Alec, and her seven boy cousins to cheer up the frail Rose!! Dr. Alec prescribes many queer diagonses that amazingly make Rose happy again. The once shy and weak girl is now a beautiful and rosey cheeked young woman, truely resembling the blossoming rose she should be!! Louisa May Alcott truely has written another wonderful book, bursting with truth, wisdom, and humor. I would love to read the sequel!!

5.0 out of 5 stars a great book, Jan. 26 2004
amber (Columbia,TN USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite books!, April 9 2003
This review is from: Eight Cousins (Paperback)
When my teacher told us that we had to choose a book from her book list for our book reports, I had no idea what book to choose. After a while I finally chose this book, Eight Cousins. Once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down!!
The book is about the time when Rose Campbell's father died, and Rose went to live with her Aunt Peace and her Aunt Plenty , who lived in a big house on Aunt Hill, until her uncle, her legal guardian, came for her. When Rose arrived she was a very sickly & scared girl. Her aunts didn't know what to do with her, and she was surrounded by 7 loud and wild boy cousins. When her savior/guardian, Uncle Alec arrives, she puts her full trust into him, and he helps overcome her fears, & turns her into a very pretty and healthy child. It wasn't long before Rose was as happy, healthy and lively as any of her cousins.
Don't worry, I didn't give away the ending, (the back of the book tells even more than this)! As I said before, this is one of the best books I have ever read, (I even cried a little at the end!!!).
ENJOY!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars As Good As 'Little Women', Nov. 28 2002
This review is from: Eight Cousins (Paperback)
This is the wonderful story of Rose Campbell, whom we first meet as a sickly and despondent 13-year-old orphan. She is grieving for her recently dead parents, and she tends to get the vapors and other Victorian women's ailments. Nevertheless, this shy, frail and delicate creature is sent to live on the "Aunt Hill" to be raised by six very opinionated aunts.
And that's not all. She is also surrounded by seven male cousins, as boisterous and full of life as they come. Rose's initial reaction is to wish herself dead. Barely able to lift her head, she is frightened and overwhelmed by the presence of her mischievous clan. But deep inside, she is secretly envious. The boys get to climb trees and run and play, while Rose, as all young women in her day, is confined to the parlor, constricted by tight corsets and impossible petticoats.
Along comes Uncle Mac, the doctor uncle whose view of how to raise girls clashes with his day and time--and all six of his sisters, the formidable aunts. In the character of Doctor Mac, Louisa May Alcott was able to tout her own family's avant garde views on women's health, almost a century ahead of its time. The doctor forbids Rose to wear the constricting corsets, to the horror of all her aunts and the girl herself. He wonders how she can feel healthy when she cannot draw a decent breath? He encourages her to play outside with her cousins, to get fresh air and exercise. He demands that she eat good, hearty meals instead of womanly morsels. And under his tutelage, and with the friendship of her wonderful cousins, Rose starts to bloom. She turns from a shy, sickly little mouse into a strong, outgoing young woman.
I loved this book as a child; I love it now. It has the perfect message for any girl of any age: Be yourself, take care of yourself, and nothing and nobody can stop you. In my view, "Eight Cousins" is Alcott's true masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bachelor Uncle to the Rescue, Sept. 6 2002
Nobodymmmmm "cdm586" (Wasilla, AK United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eight Cousins (Paperback)
Rose is a sad little girl. Orphaned at the tender age of 13, she has been in the hands of several well-meaning but misguided aunts, all of whom are stifling her with their good intentions.
When Uncle Alec finally arrives on the scene, he vows to undue the damage done by the aunts. To that end, he demands one year to do with Rose as he will. If, at the end of that time, the results are not satisfactory to all, he will again concede control to the females.
Touching and sweet, most little girls will enjoy this book. I read it over and over as a child, and never tired of the antics of Rose's 7 boy cousins as they tried to please, entertain, and earn her favor. Reading it over again as an adult, I'd say there's nothing in this book to worry a parent. It's a good, wholesome story, and some of the lessons found inside it's pages still apply today.

2.0 out of 5 stars Eight Reasons NOT to Read Eight Cousins..., Sept. 3 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Eight Cousins (Paperback)
Okay, I'm being a little harsh because anyone who's read Little Women knows that Louisa May Alcott is capable of writing spellbinding novels. However, Eight Cousins falls short of her writing abilities. Instead of finding the charming tale many people claim it to be, I found a dreadfully boring story about a young girl being raised by her uncle amongst eight male cousins. The story drags and the character development is, at best, weak. I'd recommend skipping Eight Cousins altogether and reading Little Women, if you haven't already.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Book, Aug. 21 2002
This review is from: Eight Cousins (Paperback)
I loved "Eight Cousins". You get to know the characters thoroughly by the end of the book-there is great description. Unlike most of Louisa May Alcott's books, this is about a rich girl-Rose Campbell. However, Rose gets to be so wholesome and so sweet that except at the beginning, you hardly notice her wealth. This book is about a girl, as I've said, whose name is Rose Campbell. She has lost her parents, but has quite enough relitives to take care of her. She has six aunts, four uncles, and seven boy cousins. To Rose, this last is a dreadful, and for she is fresh from a prim girl's boarding school, and before that lived with her invalid, solitary father until he died, she has never really seen any boys, and considers them to be some sort of wild animal. She is therefore unprepared to find her cousins gentlemanly and nice, although they are healthy, happy lads. There are Archie, the chief, Prince Charlie, Mac, the Bookworm, Steve the Dandy, the Brats, Geordie and Will, and Jamie, the baby. Rose's aunts all want to bring the girl up their own way, but fourtunatly Rose is entrusted to her Uncle Alec, a kind man who has ideas about health that astonish
Rose at first. However, they grow to love one another dearly. Rose's aunts are Peace, the sweet old lady who "wore no black, but soft, pale colors, as if always ready for the marrige that had never come", Aunt Plenty, "always trotting, she was a regular Martha", Aunt Clara, the fashionable woman who "had been a beauty and as belle, and was still a handsome woman", Aunt Jane, the one who is very severe, and always expects Rose to be studying, Aunt Myra, who has it as her hobby "to believe people were tottering on the brink of the grave, and, upon my word, was offended if people didn't fall into it"! and last but not least, sweet, kind Aunt Jessie, Uncle Alec and Rose's confidante. My favorite chapter was "Good Bargains", and my favorite characters were Phebe, an important one who I have not yet mentioned. Phebe is a healthy, kind girl who is a chamber maid, and "sings like a bird and works like a woman". I also liked the boys, the Aunts Jessie, Peace, and Plenty, Rose, and Uncle Alec. I would recommend this book to anyone, especially girls, age 9 and above. This is another of Louisa Alcott's best books!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is not your boring classic! It is Fantasic!, June 9 2002
This review is from: Eight Cousins (Paperback)
I'm in grade 9 and for an english project at school, we had to pick any classic and write stuff about it. i picked 'Eight cousins', and little did i know that it would turn out to be one of my favorite books! I don't want to return it back to the library, it is too good! Rose is superb but the boy cousins are better because the reader (that's you!) will just love everything they say and do! I certainly did- and i would love to be rose- she is so lucky to be surrounded by boys! I love the boys and the book so much and L.M.A. must have been so smart!

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost 30 and still read it at least twice a year!, April 20 2002
This review is from: Eight Cousins (Paperback)
Ok, so I know I wrote a review nearly 3 years ago about Eight Cousins but I feel I must add to previous entry. This book has helped me mold my ideals and concepts of womanhood more than I ever had guessed. Rose develops many relationships with the characters in this book and from its pages I have learned how to be a good friend, sacrifice without receiving praise, take responsibility for a decisions and make ammends if I can, enter into conflict with those around me with a brave heart...determined to love even when friends are at their most UNlovable. This book helped teach me to come from great tradedy into a life of victory and peace. Don't let the fact that it was written in your great-great grandmother's age discourage you! It's a timeless piece that I hope will help mold our youth for generations to come.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Eight Cousins
Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott (Paperback - Oct. 20 1995)
CDN$ 6.99