5.0 out of 5 stars Great classic
This is without a doubt my favourite novel of all time. The depth to which Dumas takes us through the life of Dantes is something that would never happen in the much shorter modern novels.
Published 24 days ago by Raymond

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointed
I wanted the guy to keep killing all of his enemies. I was very upset that he turned into a wimp! Also, my book was short, it didn't have all the pages. Maybe I missed something...I hope not. I hope this is helpful to all future readers.
Published on March 13 2001 by Thomas Purcell

5.0 out of 5 stars Great classic, June 27 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, for sure., July 25 2013
This review is from: Penguin Classics Count Of Monte Cristo (Paperback)
This story is wonderful. A great read. But read it when you have a lot of time. This one was/is a translation of the original text in French. It was a little hard to get into, but I loved it for the detail it gave me.
I read a German translation that was not quite as 'attached' to the original style. I read that one from the first the the last word in one night. I just could not put it down. The English translation was more detailed and took a 'little' longer to read. It was also twice the volume. It is a great story for the person that believes in justice and revenge, where it hurts the most. At that time in the pocket-book. I loved the story and the author's style. The two translations were quite different, not taking away from the story line, however.
A great story, well written and translated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revenge is a dish best served cold, June 28 2004
This review is from: Penguin Classics Count Of Monte Cristo (Paperback)
Edmond Dantes was a happy and fortunate young man, blessed with a beautiful fiance, good looks, and an upwardly mobile career. In short he had everything that a man could want. As is always the case, one man's fortune breeds another's envy. Jealous of Edmond's good fortunes three of his friends conspire to remove him from the scene. The plan might not have worked were it not for his bad fortune in chief prosecutors. His fortunes soured, Edmond is sentenced to life imprisonment.
What follows along this plotline is one of the greatest novels ever written. Edmond escapes, finds his fortune, and begins a long road of revenge. Not satisfied with killing his enemies, Edmond instead seeks to do unto them as they have done unto him. Ruin their lives by taking away everything that they hold dear.
I cannot emphasize enough the quality of this book. The plot is complex and intriguing. The characters are deep and fully fleshed. Always intelligent, often whimsical, occassionally romantic, and interspersed with action, this novel has something for everyone.
Read this book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unquestionably my favourite novel!, April 24 2010
This review is from: Penguin Classics Count Of Monte Cristo (Paperback)
To quote someone whose name has slipped my mind, this is the "shortest 'long book' I have ever read." Though its length appears daunting and turns off even some of the most avid readers, I can guarantee that this epic story of ruination, redemtion, revenge, and realization is well worth the effort. I started reading this book at 7:00 pm on Saturday evening and read straight through to 8:00 am on Sunday morning.

I hesitate to write too much of a review because I feel that my limited writing capacity will not do this novel justice. The plot is unbelieveably well-crafted and suspensful---several times I nearly skipped to the end of a chapter because I couldn't tolerate not knowing how that particular section would conclude. Each character is unique, memorable, and, most importantly, very dynamic. Not a single character is "unchanged" by the events in the novel. Dumas is the master of "character connections" and manages to create complex relationships that weave through the fabric of an already ingenious plot. Finally, the didactic messages of the novel are as relevant today as they were so many decades ago. You cannot finish this novel and feel unchallenged in your thinking.

I have never felt so crushed upon the reaching the last page of a novel. The plot spans three decades and, by the end, you find yourself attached emotionally invested in each character...even the utterly evil ones. I have never cried in a movie or while reading a novel. However, I was surprised to find that, when closed the back cover of this novel, tears began to well up in my eyes. Somehow, 1300 pages just wasn't long enough.

Read this book. I promise you that it is well worth the effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars Popular fiction from a couple centuries back, April 14 2010
Rodge (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Penguin Classics Count Of Monte Cristo (Paperback)
This is popular fiction as it was a couple centuries back. As always, sometimes "popular" doesn't necessarily mean "not very good". Dumas wrote many words and pages of prose, mostly writing historical romantic novels aiming at a popular audience. Much of it is justly forgotten; Count of Monte Cristo is justly remembered.

You may find the book overlong, but frankly all these years later (and translated, of course) the pages practically turn themselves. There's much to criticize here plot-wise, character-wise etc. if you get your jollies from that, but there's so much more to love.

All the predictable elements are here in terms of forbidden love; overly melodramatic lovers; poisonings; and of course the extended, elaborate revenge plot that provides the novel's primary architecture.

But the elements are placed so well and so skilfully that we don't mind their familiarity and occasional obviousness. This may not be the greatest literature ever but if you want a fat book that practically pulls you through the pages, this will do.

5.0 out of 5 stars A not-so-modern superhero, Oct. 14 2009
Len (Slave Lake, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Penguin Classics Count Of Monte Cristo (Paperback)
The Count of Monte Cristo is like a superhero for the 1800s. Wrongly imprisoned at the age of 19, engaged to be married, set to captain his own ship, Edmond Dumont is left forever bitter of everyone who had anything to do with putting him there. And so, we have the beginning of a classic tale of revenge and retribution. I don't want to give too much away except to say that the guy escapes with an almost supernatural ability to predict the actions of those around him as well as the money and influence to change the lives of those with positions in society, wealth and power. He's like a good Tony Soprano with a great message, "wait and hope." Itss an engrossing tale worth the effort of all those pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shortest Long Book you'll ever read., Aug. 12 2007
This review is from: Penguin Classics Count Of Monte Cristo (Paperback)
This book immediately gripped my attention and didn't let go until I finished it 6 days later. If you somehow struggle to get into it, keep reading until you get to the Chateau D'If. If your still not satisfied, I can't imagine what you could possible find interesting.

Almost all characters introduced have depth and unique personalities. The writing is full of undertones that give more meaning and even humor to the work.

I was indifferent when finishing this book. It was one of the best reading experiences I've ever had. I'm not sure I'll ever experience a book quite like it. I felt like Cartmen when he blew his "funny fuse".

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT!, Jan. 26 2007
Misfit (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Penguin Classics Count Of Monte Cristo (Paperback)
A stunning book, absolutly chock full with DELICIOUS plot twists. There were times when I would start a new chapter and wonder where the heck this part was going, but everything was pulled together into one compelling, gripping story of love and revenge and the consequences of trying to play god with people's lifes. Highly recommended -- I intend to search out and read as many Dumas books as I can find.

5.0 out of 5 stars Swashbuckling action from cover to cover, June 22 2005
Kara Ortiez (Hamilton, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Penguin Classics Count Of Monte Cristo (Paperback)
The Count of Monte Cristo begins as Edmond Dantes lands in Marseille, ready to marry the love of his life, Mercedes. Within 24 hours his world will turn upside down; punished for a crime he did not commit, he'll be imprisoned in the Château d'If for life, stripped of everything he held dear. And so the stage is set for the greatest revenge novel ever written.
Swashbuckling novels are a sub-genre of historical fiction. Too easily, the whole genre is dismissed as juvenile reading. The Count of Monte Cristo features two cases of infanticide, a serial poisoner, a stabbing, three suicides, torture, execution, drug-induced sexual fantasies, illegitimacy, transvestism, lesbianism, dramatic soliloquies, references to classical history, the effects of hashish, all in about 1300 pages. Juvenile? I don't think so....
This is my favorite book of all time. The unabridged version is the only way to go. The movies have never done it justice. I can guarantee you won't put it down!
Once you've finished it, check out The Three Musketeers... the unabridged version ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely wonderful!, July 19 2004
This review is from: Penguin Classics Count Of Monte Cristo (Paperback)
For the past year, I have thought that Austen's Pride and Prejudice would remain my all-time favorite book, but now I see that I am mistaken, as The Count of Monte Cristo has DEFINITELY topped P & P on my list.
This book, about the transformation of Edmond Dantes from an unsuspecting, guileless, innocent young man into a vengeful, dark, and clever man, and how the newly born Dantes uses his fortune and wit to avenge his past life, is one book that I shall never forget. I simply could not put this book down, and was even scolded by my family for neglecting my meals, sleep, and work to read this enchanting story. The details, the plot thick with intrigue and secrets...all of this and more were combined by Alexandre Dumas to create a masterful work of literature that one will surely come to appreciate greatly. I urge you, READ THIS BOOK! You shall not regret it!

Penguin Classics Count Of Monte Cristo
Penguin Classics Count Of Monte Cristo by Robin Buss (Paperback - Feb. 25 2003)
CDN$ 16.00 CDN$ 11.55