Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store NFL Tools

Corduroy
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$7.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-10 of 50 reviews(5 star)show all reviews
on March 17, 2002
This is the story of a stuffed bear that lives in a department store and is not the most attractive toy in the store. He had a missing button and was a little bit scruffy. One little girl that goes into the store and loves the bear and wants him and Corduroy wants to live with her too. He is sad when the mother says that she can't have him. He goes around during the night to try and find the button that he lost so maybe someone would want him but he can't and is returned to the shelve he came from. The next day the girl came back and bought him and brought him home. They both loved each other so much and she even gave him a new button.
This is a really cute book. It shows that love is something more them just how something looks. The little girl didn't care that Corduroy wasn't perfect she loved him anyway. This is really story for children because this is something that they need to know. Love is not just the way something appears its more then that. It is what is inside a person.
on May 25, 2001
Did the screenwriters of the recently released "Bridget Jones' Diary" lift Colin Firth's line "I like you just the way you are" from this wonderful 1968 kids' book (see the penultimate page's "I like you the way you are")? Well, probably not...but in both instances it's a very effective and heartfelt line, capturing the essence of unconditional, lasting love.
Corduroy is a cute little stuffed bear who nobody wants to buy: There are bigger and newer toys, and besides, the button is missing from one strap of his overalls. Only Lisa shows interest that day, but her mother hesitates and they leave without him. While looking for the button after the store closes, Corduroy experiences the wonders of a big department store: The elevator and the new beds lined in rows: "This must be a palace...I guess I've always wanted to live in a palace."
Lisa returns the next day and buys him with her own money, and the sugarcoated ending strikes up just the right amount of sentiment without becoming overbearing (no pun intended). "This must be home," he [Corduroy] said. "I know I've always wanted a home!" And then: "You must be a friend," said Corduroy. "I've always wanted a friend." "Me too!" said Lisa, and gave him a big hug. Powerful, misty-eye making stuff! Beautiful simple color pictures, and 28 pages of adventure and sweet love. Awwww-inspiring (pun intended). Highly recommended for the toddler set!
on January 24, 2001
Those elegant downtown department stores that close at 6pm are getting fewer and far between, but this book takes you back to a time when a visit to one could fulfill a child's most fervent wish or dream. Corduroy is sitting on the shelf in the toy department when Lisa spots him and, of course, wants her mom to buy him. Her mother says no, because he's missing a button from his suspenders. Well, Corduroy goes looking for the missing button that night, thinking that's why he hasn't been picked to go home with someone yet.
This story is almost a primitive variation on "Toy Story," where the toys come to a life of their own when humans aren't around. . .and of course, like Woody, Buzz, and even the Misfit Toys from "Rudolph," Corduroy knows that his purpose in life is to love and be loved by a child. If your child watches the "Corduroy" shorts on PBS, get this book and let him or her see how he first found a home. I hate to say it, but I nearly always cry when I get to the last two pages. I just love happy endings:)
on December 14, 2000
This is my favorite story from childhood and I honestly believe it had a big part in making me who I am today. [The story of Corduroy displays several morals and our basic human needs; its main lesson to me is to look deeper, beyond first impressions to see what is on the INSIDE of a person--that is what really counts.] The story is so charming, adorable and incredibly special.
It begins with Corduroy in a toy department of a big store. Shoppers hurry by and never seem to notice him.[MORAL: TAKE TIME TO SMELL THE ROSES PEOPLE! WHY ALL THE RUSH?] Every day Corduroy waits hoping "for somebody to come along and take him home." [ BASIC NEED: SECURITY AND BELONGING.]
One day a little girl stops to look at Corduroy and tells her Mother that he is the bear she has always wanted. The Mother explains to her daughter that they have spent too much money already and points out a flaw in Corduroy, he is missing a button. [MORAL: IF YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING NICE, THEN DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!] The girl is very obedient and doesn't make a scene (like some children would today) and walks away with her Mother. [MORAL: RESPECT AND OBEY YOUR PARENTS.]
Corduroy decides to go look for his button that night. The INTRIGUING part here is Freeman doesn't state WHY Corduroy is looking for his button--is it to look better in order to get a home? (I really don't think so, nothing in this book is about vanity.) Why then? Answering that question is left up to each individual reader. [MORAL: LOOK FOR THE GOOD INSTEAD OF THE BAD IN PEOPLE AND THAT GOES FOR BEARS TOO!]
The next day, still buttonless, Corduroy wakes up to the warm smile of the girl who came to see him the day before. She introduces herself as Lisa and tells Corduroy that he "is going to be [her] very own bear." She continues to explain that she counted her money in her piggy bank and her Mother said she could bring him home. [MORAL: PATIENCE AND SAVING MONEY.] She lovingly carried him home in her arms.
Corduroy looked around the room. "This must be home," he said. "I know I've always wanted a home!" As Lisa sat down to sew a button on his shirt to make him more comfortable she said the sweetest thing, something every child (OK ALL OF US) need to hear: "I LIKE YOU JUST THE WAY YOU ARE." And they give each other a hug.[BASIC NEED: LOVE AND ACCEPTANCE!]
I highly and wholeheartedly recommend this to children of ALL AGES! I give this my highest rating! Every child should own this endearing classic!
Thank you Don!
on October 27, 2002
Corduroy is the story of a cute brown bear who lived in the toy department of a big store. Each day he would wait for a child to come along and buy him and take him home. Each day the store was filled with people buying all sorts of things, but no one ever seemed to want the small bear in green overalls, because him overalls were missing a button. One morning a little girl came up to Corduroy and told her mom that he was the bear she had always wanted. The mother told the girl not today, and that he doesn't look new because he's missing a button. That night, Corduroy decides to take an adventure and search the store for his missing button. A night guard find's him though, and returns him to the toy department. The next day the little girl returns for Corduroy. She brings all the money from her piggy bank and buys Corduroy. When she return's home, she sews Corduroy on a new button. I recommend reading Corduroy, it is a classic children's story that everyone should hear at least once in their life.
on December 14, 2000
Thank you Don!
on October 31, 2000
This sweet bear has been around for several generations. Living in a department store, Corduroy wanders off for the night. Up the escalator onto the floor with the beds and the lamps. Aha, he needs a new button to replace the lost button on his corduroy overalls. He pulls and pulls a button from a mattress, creating quite a racket in the process. The night watchman comes to investigate and finds the bear hiding under a blanket. The nightwatchman carries Corduroy down the escalator and places him back on the shelf. You see, the little girl's mother told Lisa that she did not want Corduroy because he had was missing a button. The following day Lisa returns with her saved piggy bank money, buys the bear and takes him home to his very own bedroom. This book is incredibly sweet and is appropriate for 2 years old and older. What's more, FAO Schwartz actually sells a Corduroy bear. What a treat. A wonderful gift for a birthday or holiday. Highly, highly recommended.
on February 12, 2002
There's something about kids books that, at a certain level, is inexplicable. Corduroy is a nice little story about a toy bear roaming around a department store at night searching for his lost button and then being acquired by a little girl. The story is sweet, and the books illustrations are vivid, colorful and warm.
The same can be said about a lot of books, many of which we owned over the years. Yet the kids still go back over and over (and over and over...) to a few cherished favorites, and, in our family, Corduroy was one of those favorites.
For a while I thought it was just our family that felt this way about the book, bus when friends of the kids came by they knew Corduroy immediately--and he was on their night time reading lists as well.
Enchantment is a dynamic all its own--and this book, for whatever reason, enchants. Buy it--neither you or your kids will ever forget Corduroy.
on April 14, 2000
I first read(well, had it read to)this book when I was in pre-school(1984-ish) and I loved it! My favorite illistration was of Corduroy pulling the "button" off the matress and flying in the air!
Anyway, I saw this book in a child's consigment shop nearly two years ago(May 27th, to be exact). I didn't have any money to buy it, but my friend was willing to buy it for me(it was only a dollar)and I read it and enjoyed it all over again.
Since I was older, I understood the story more(and I paid closer attention to the drawings, even noticing that in the night after the store was closed, all the dolls had their eyes closed as opposed to their eyes being open during the day).
This teaches the lesson that every toy you buy for your kids doesn't have to be perfect. Kids and adults will appreciate this story(the adults moreso).
on March 20, 1998
Sure, Corduroy is a warm and fuzzy story about a cute little bear who hops off the toy store shelf in search of a button for his cute little overalls and eventually goes home with the cute little girl who loves him, but that in itself is not enough to make this book the beloved classic that it has become. What ultimately rings true about this sweetheart of a story is the truth it tells about what each of us, child and grownup alike, wants and needs more than anything else--namely, a home and a friend. Those are the two things Corduroy yearns for, and the author's great accomplishment is to make the reader feel the little bear's joy at the end of the story when he finds both. Every reader, regardless of age or socioeconomic status, knows intuitively that to have a devoted friend and a safe home is truly to find the gold at the end of the rainbow.