5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful
Published on Aug. 30 2000 by toevlugsoord

2.0 out of 5 stars How do you review this book fairly?
Published on Dec 4 2000 by Misha

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, Aug. 30 2000
This review is from: The Snowman (Paperback)
This is a magical book. My brother and I received it when we were young, from our aunt who worked for Penguin in Australia. It changed both of our lives. When I was 8, our class was scheduled to watch the movie version. I had already seen it, and was afraid to watch it with my classmates for fear that I'd embarrass myself by crying all over the place. It is quite possibly the most touching and tragic book I've ever read, summing up the tragedy of any Shakespeare play or Dickens novel in a simple word-less series of beautiful drawings. It shows a young boy (in England, I believe) who decides to build a snowman. The snowman comes to life, and becomes an instant friend of the little boy. They exchange adventures. The boy takes the snowman through his house, careful to avoid the fireplace! The snowman especially enjoys the icebox, and dressing up in the boy's parents' clothes. The snowman takes the boy on a MAGICAL flight through the night sky, over London, to a land where snowmen and snowwomen have a wonderful party. They then return and say goodnight. The final page will require at least one box of tissues at your side. Just writing this review, I am tearing up! If read as a child, I think it will foster a sense of great sympathy, a feeling of strength after loss, and appreciation for life. If read as an adult, I think it will do all that, but also remind you of what it was like to be a child. Anything was possible. This book goes off of that. It remains a favourite of both my brother and I, and holds a special place in our hearts. It cannot and should not be missed!

2.0 out of 5 stars How do you review this book fairly?, Dec 4 2000
Misha (Staten Island, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Snowman (Hardcover)
This book is beautiful. The story is sweet, the illustrations are touching on many levels, and the plot and character development (if it can be called that, as the story has no words) are rich. However, I have to approach this from a parent's point of view, and my kids (5, 8, 10, and 13) were all bored with "The Snowman" for varying reasons. The youngest wants to hear books read to her; the 8-year-old found that this format was somewhat confusing ("I need words, Dad!"); the 10- and 13-year-olds simply weren't challenged nearly enough.
While it might not be as fair a review as it could have been, I would have appreciated knowing in advance how the kids would have reacted before buying it myself. While the wordlessness of the book is my only true criticism of the work, it affects the entire book to such an extent that the ilustrations and story itself cannot (for my family's purposes) override it. Do yourself a favor - thumb through a library copy before you commit your own checkbook to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars review, March 17 2002
This review is from: The Snowman (Hardcover)
This is a wordless book about a little boy that makes a snowman. He can't sleep at night so he gets up and opens the door to look at my snowman and he is alive. They go through an exciting night of adventures. He shows him around his house. ... This is a great book even though it doesn't have words. It allows the reader to make up there own interpretation of the pictures and much imagination can be put into trying to read this book. This has great pictures and they are very clear so it can lead to easy interpretation too. This is a great book and I would recommend that everyone reads it. This is a book that I want to have in my classroom collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic!, Feb. 10 2002
By A Customer
The Snowman...When we are children, the impossible, the fantastic, seems completely possible, if we only believe in it strongly enough. This wonderful picture story by Raymond Briggs depicts a little boy's magical adventure with his snowman who has come to life. This is, to put it simply, a must-have book. If you enjoy it, you must---MUST see the animated version! Words cannot possibly do it justice---you just have to see it. Enjoy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Snowman, Dec 9 2000
This review is from: The Snowman (Hardcover)
A children's classic, a must for every book shelf. The wordless format lets the children create their own story. We purchased the book for our then three year old, at eighteen he still reads and loves the book. This year I am purchasing another copy for our thirteen year old who also loves the gentle illustrations and the heart warming message. This book truly illustrates that words are not necessary for a book to be a literary great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reminds of how we all used to feel about the Christmas., Nov. 15 1999
This review is from: The Snowman (Paperback)
This story just made me feel very warm, and reminds me of how I used to feel about Christmas. Also, I just love Raymond Bridggs' drawing. I am hoping to publish children's book someday, this book is one of the reason why I wanted to do this. Since I did plan to go study drawings, espcially pastel, or pensil, I still think it's possible to for me to try. Well, thank to Mr.Brigges. And I think we should all have it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Magical, Jan. 11 2000
frisky2000 (Forever Summer) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Snowman (Paperback)
The simplicity of its message, the sweetness of the characters, the emotion of the story, all serve to make THE SNOWMAN a child's fantasy come true. I'd recommend the video first, as the music makes the scenes come alive, but reading the book alone allows for the imagination to take off with the little boy and journey with him through the snowy night. Hopefully this book will become a modern-day children's classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book for all children!, Sept. 6 2000
This review is from: The Snowman (Hardcover)
This is one of the my son's favorites! He is now 23 months old and continues to pull this book off his bookshelf. The illustrations of the snowmen coming into his house and taking the young boy by the hand and flying through the city is beautifully done--and very sweet! This book is a great beginner book! I have now bought the video for him for Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Magical experience seen thorough a child's eyes, Oct. 29 1998
This review is from: The Snowman (Hardcover)
This book was one of my favorites as a child and I'm SO glad to have it again. This story is a magical, fulfilling one that gives you a "warm cozy feeling". Whip up some cocoa, snuggle under a warm blanket and read this to your child on a wintry night. Absolutely enchanting!
Debbie Z, Cincinnati OH

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous, touch everyone's heart !, Dec 3 1998
This review is from: The Snowman (Hardcover)
The greatest children book I ever read, drawing is beautiful and the story is so touching. It touches every one's deep deep heart and wish can fly with the Snowman in the sky. Highly recommend as a gift at Christmas time for children and even adult.
Don't miss it. Just like no one miss 'The Little Prince'.

Snowman, The
Snowman, The by Raymond Briggs (Paperback - Nov. 22 2011)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01