1,960 Reviews
 (1,374)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, enjoyable, and important book to read
Published on Nov. 4 2008 by Wolfman

2.0 out of 5 stars A Non-descriptive, long winded tale
When starting to read this "classic" piece I understood that it was from the imagining of what life could be like if for instance, Hitler had won the war. Unfortunately, I found while reading this that it was too far out of what any over throwing government would do in inside of a dictatorship to command the loyalty of it citizens.
This book had great...
Published 2 months ago by Alexis Allinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, enjoyable, and important book to read, Nov. 4 2008
This review is from: Animal Farm (Paperback)
In terms of reading books that are classics, this one is pain free. The language is easy and it's short enough to get through in a day, and best of all the story is entertaining. My advice would be to spend a few hours on the net reading about the Russian Revolution and Stalin's bio before reading to make sure you appreciate all the allusion, allegory, metaphors and all that blah blah stuff that makes it an important book. This is the one book I actually liked when I had to read it in highschool, 10 or so years later I still enjoyed breezing through it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Meant as a warning, not as a guide, Nov. 1 2013
This review is from: Nineteen Eighty Four (Paperback)
I first read 1984 as part of my High School curriculum.
At the time, it was amazing to think that a book written before any but the earliest forms of computers, when most people had never heard of television, and before CNN existed could have so eerily predicted things like Flat-screens in every house, and ministries in charge of controlling the news and pop culture.

I re-read it some years later and it was scarier still, as the world was at war, only now our enemies were the same band of merry outlaws we had allied with against the Russians. To watch Rambo III, and CNN during Operation Desert Storm, and then to re-read 1984 was an interesting experience.

Now, I think it is even more relevant. With everyone up in arms about the NSA scandal, figures like Osama Bin Laden, Edward Snowden, Julian Assange popping up in the State Controlled news casts, and more and more men and women in North America sporting "smart phones" equipped with great tools like GPS, geo-tagging, facial recognition software and fingerprint pass-protection I shake my head.

Every time I hear a song on the radio that I find my feet tapping along to, and realize the words make little to no sense - they just sound good together, as if synthesized to appeal to as many people as possible - and every time I see some news about climate change, genocide, or an environmental disaster overshadowed by the latest celebrity spotting I cringe and wonder if Orwell understood that he wasn't writing a warning for the public, he was writing a playbook for the elite.

Even if you think, "LOL - this guy is crazy!", you should do yourself a favour and really read this fantastic bit of fiction. Some would say it is a spectacular example of a literary endeavour. Others would say it's a really, really good book. I would give this 2 + 2 stars out of 5. So 5 out of 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, Oct. 26 2013
This review is from: Animal Farm (Paperback)
This is Orwell's most powerful work of allegory on Stalin and his mad man rule over Russia. Go through this one day reader and you will find reminders and cautions to today's easily manipulated mass media craving population

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST read., July 5 2014
This review is from: Nineteen Eighty Four (Paperback)
one of my favorite books of all time! I have read it 3x already at different stages of my life, and every time it means something different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 29 2014
good book

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic that still bears up under the passage of time, May 27 2014
This review is from: 1984 (Kindle Edition)
The dystopian future envisaged by Orwell seems to still be scarily attainable. Newspeak is not just a fanciful parable about a future gone mad, it can often be detected currently in pronouncements from various sources. Witness the current "protection of ethnic Russians" by the Putin regime.

5.0 out of 5 stars great story, May 24 2014
This review is from: 1984 (Kindle Edition)
I quite liked this book. The story has a good structure than gradually makes you keep reading forward. There are certain phrases and teachings that i found particularly thought-provoking... After reading this book, I feel blessed of having born and lived in modern democracies. Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Animal Farm Reviewed, May 17 2014
This review is from: Animal Farm (Paperback)
I watched a film adaptation of this book when I was a child, and it managed to traumatize me. I didn't think I'd ever read this book because of it, but my cousin kept praising it, so I bit the bullet and ordered it. It matches my copy of 1984, which I thought would be the only thing I liked about it. I was wrong. This book took just one afternoon to read and I flew through it despite having to set it down repeatedly. The characters were so well developed, and it was simply eerie how well the pigs managed to convince the other animals of everything. I enjoyed this book far more than I ever expected, and I'm so thankful to have read it, though I doubt I'll re-watch the movie, just in case.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have seen the enemy and he is us, May 16 2014
This review is from: 1984 (Kindle Edition)
Chilling story of the destruction of humanity . Simply take away all the words needed to express dissent . and spy on the population
any one for the Patriot act ??

2.0 out of 5 stars A Non-descriptive, long winded tale, May 14 2014
Alexis Allinson (Orillia, ON. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1984 (Kindle Edition)
This book had great premise except that it lacked descriptiveness as to how things were until well into the book and then just as I found it was becoming interesting, the author back tracked to how life in his world was all over again.
The idea of the future were nothing is truly private, may be a sign of the now, however aside from that, there is nothing in this book that I feel would come to pass even under a demanding ruler. Of course, I could be wrong.

Animal Farm
Animal Farm by George Orwell (Paperback - July 29 2008)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89