4.0 out of 5 stars A Twisted Tale of Obsession, Love, Class, Hate and Fate
Published on Oct. 25 2006 by Donald Mitchell

2.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing
Published on Dec 10 2004 by wonderment

4.0 out of 5 stars A Twisted Tale of Obsession, Love, Class, Hate and Fate, Oct. 25 2006
Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 127,000 Helpful Votes Globally) - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wuthering Heights (Paperback)
Wuthering Heights is a surprisingly modern novel given that its authorship predates our modern understanding of psychology. Like many modern novels, Ms. Bronte has also explored the darker side of human passions and psyches more thoroughly than the sunnier side. Heathcliff will remind you of classic characters whose lives were twisted by fate like Captain Ahab in Moby Dick, Erik in Phantom of the Opera, Quasimodo in The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, and the mysterious prisoner in The Man in the Iron Mask.

If there were ever two star-crossed lovers who have captured the world's imagination since Romeo and Juliet, they must be Catherine and Heathcliff. Yet, unlike, many such pairs, their unhappiness is heavily influenced by themselves.

As you contemplate their story, you are constantly drawn to the thought, "what if" thus and such had occurred differently? That's part of the great power of the story because it has so many unexpected twistings and turnings. A reader's expectations from a love story are turned upside down, sideways and diagonal from where those expectations normally rest. As a result, you'll probably decide this isn't a love story after all . . . but a tragedy. Taken from that perspective, you'll find yourself hearing echoes of Lady Macbeth and King Lear as you contemplate what occurs when the natural order is disturbed. Few English authors since Shakespeare have captured that sense of what can happen when the universe is disarranged.

What's great about this story? It's pretty simple: Emotional intensity in the writing; deeply memorable characters; doomed lovers; and a haunting glimpse at unshakeable obsession.

What's not so great? The story development itself is pretty awkward. Much of the story is told in flashback which steals power and immediacy from the narration. If ever a story cried out for being told in the first person (by Heathcliff, Catherine, Edgar Linton, Hareton and young Catherine), it's Wuthering Heights. The transitions from one key moment to another are often very abrupt. Sometimes it is 150 pages later before you get the full sense of what Emily Bronte meant to convey in some of those transitions.

What's less than great? The characters aren't nearly as appealing as those you'll usually find in a novel dealing with these issues. In that sense, the novel is more realistic than fictional . . . which helps create some of its immense power. It's probably a worthwhile price to pay.

Whatever you think of Wuthering Heights, you owe it to yourself to read one of the most moving tales that has ever been written. Pick a time when you're feeling reasonably happy to start the book. Otherwise, you may find your mood to be more than a little darkened for a few days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book., April 25 2004
J. Botha "claude777" (Melbourne, Australia.) - See all my reviews
Wuthering Heights is on of the greatest classics in literature and one I had never read until recently. I found this story of obsessive and destructive relationships very compelling and difficult to put down. It's a romance but by no means is it a happy one. Things don't go well for these people.
Wuthering Heights is the story of two families the Earnshaws and Lintons, who really should never had gotten together. It's the romance between Heathcliff and Catherine that underlies the whole book. Heathcliff is defiantly the ultimate anti-hero, he's obsessive, abusive and just plain evil, but still you feel yourself drawn into his dark world and hoping that redemption comes to him. He seems beyond it however and his destructive behaviour forms the basis of this gothic tale.
Emily Bronte's skills as a writer are amazing, her language is poetic and deep and the story is truly unique. My only criticism is concerning the way she wrote dialogue for the character Joseph, it's often illegible and I found it most difficult understanding what he was saying. That aside I really enjoyed this book and recommend it wholeheartedly as a study of human nature as it is without the influence of a Divine being.
Thanks for reading my review and enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Passionate in the Most Primordial Sense, Aug. 26 2003
David Kimel (Cambridge, MA United States) - See all my reviews
Not to be hyperbolic, but Wuthering Heights is one of the most well known and critically acclaimed novels in the English language, and there is precious little that I can add to the volumes already written on it. It is the story of two British households inhabiting the wilds of the Yorkshire moors, and illuminates the destructive undercurrents that come to uproot and ultimately destroy both clans. At the center of the tale stand the headstrong Catherine Earnshaw and the brooding Heathcliff, one of the most celebrated romantic pairings in world literature. Treated abominably in his youth at the hands of both households and having lost his love to another man, Heathcliff descends into a horrifying abyss of brutality and revenge still harrowing to encounter nearly two centuries after publication. Although the novel progresses at a leisurely pace compared to modern works, it presents the most complete and thrilling portrait of passion ever set forth in the English language. Passion is not a synonym for love in Wuthering Heights-it is an unbridled conflagration consuming all rationality and rendering its victims ravenous beasts, terrifying and magnificent in their hunger. When Catherine declares that her soul will roam the moors forever after her death, even the most confirmed atheist will find himself believing her- passion is such a billowing force in Wuthering Heights that the human body is convincingly rendered a prison of something altogether greater. At the same time, the primordial forces the book presents never become exhausting, contained as they are within a highly unique narrative framework channeling them through characters secondary to the main line of action. For those patient and courageous enough to immerse themselves in its richly textured reality, Wuthering Heights presents a world boarding on the mythic, and it comes highly recommended to the imaginative reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hey, where's my pillow?!, Aug. 20 2003
By A Customer
The book is written wonderfully, you may call it gothic romance, but the book's really got a style and genre of its own. Now, I only say this for GREAT romance novels, like the Brontes. The language greatly affects the way the story is expressed. It is told in a subtle and bumpy manner, going way ahead of the reader, its many pauses for the narrator gives the reader time to think the thing over, like the guest. Basically, the style and format is a fascinating one, it truly does intrigue the reader to a certain level. Now, it is hard to say if Heathcliff is the kind of man a girl would want( not that I'm a girl ), he is, if you want someone who truly loves you, he's not if you don't want someone to go CRAZY over you. It is--I think--clever of Emily Bronte, to leave this question for readers to consider as they sit comfortably in their beds reading this romance. But if you read it carefully, you will see that the narrator does not form a very high opinion of Heathcliff, yet the latter did deserve the revenge he got. Now, here we have another controversial point for us readers. Thus the novel is a quick one, without all the slow( at least very slow )descriptions and it forms different points of interest as it moves along just pulling the reader in. As the reader gets to the end he/she will feel a shocking yet not surprising end. The ending is a satisfactory one after chapters after chapters of points pointing toward the end. After all, the end is a slope for the way the novel is going. All in all, the book is satisfactory, and something that will--in a way--haunt the reader in later times. It is a masterpiece with all those interesting formats which I will never forget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bizarre, cracklingly brilliant, a moment in literary history, June 5 2004
Anne Rice (Palm Desert, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wuthering Heights (Paperback)
Is there anybody out there who hasn't heard of Heathcliff, the dark villian/hero of this high pitched and utterly committed work of madness? Oh, I love it. It was difficult for me at first. I'm a writer, but not a natural reader. But once I was into this book, once I stopped asking questions of the narrative and just entered the shadowy world of Catherine and her doomed household, I was quite literally spellbound. Bronte died believing this book was a failure. What a dreadful irony that this quiet, disciplined woman who lived out her life in a cold parsons' house with her brilliant sisters, her drunken brother and her eccentric father (The man memorized Paradise Lost: imagine. And outlived all his children!) never even had an inkling that this outpouring of her heart and soul would become a classic, overshadowing even her sister's highly successful Jane Eyre. Both Bronte sisters had the capacity to create archetypes -- to imprint upon the culture seminal patterns that endure to the present time. One last point: the father was Irish. Madness and genius in the blood, indeed. Enjoy it. I read it over every year or so, sometimes twice in a row. I study it; I watch all the film versions. I just love it, the way it works, its strange cruelty and enchantment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing, Dec 10 2004
This review is from: Wuthering Heights (Hardcover)
I was expecting something in the vein of Jane Eyre when I began to read this book. I was sorely disappointed. True, the violent love between Heathcliff and Catherine is heartwrenching; however, the most difficult part of this novel for me was that there was no character that was lovable, or sympathetic. Just when I started to think that Heathcliff was not so bad after all, he would commit another shocking deed of horrific cruelty. Catherine was just annoying. I also found the plot hard to follow, what with a third person telling the story, and then swinging back to first person narrative. If you want a really powerful, uplifting love story, read Jane Eyre, or The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wuthering Heights, July 28 2003
Evan (Tennessee) - See all my reviews
I am reading Wuthering heights in preparation for and AP English course, and am finding it to be the most tedious book I have ever read. I used to think that Hemingway's Old Man and the Sea dragged, but i was sadly mistaken. This book is a drawn out and dreary affair. I have enjoyed "classic" literature in the past but this is unworthy of being dubbed "classic". I would never reccomend this book to another living person, but maybe I'm just and "immature" reader.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wuthering Heights, Oct. 26 2001
This review is from: Wuthering Heights (Paperback)
Although Wuthering Heights is written in very old english and is not easy to read, the story itself is very touching, romantic and parts of it is tragic.
Heathcliff, an orphan, is raised by Mr Earnshaw as one of his own children. Hindley despises him, but wild Cathy becomes his constant companion, and he falls violently in love with her. When she will not marry him, Heathcliff's terrivle vengeance ruins them all - but still his and Cathy's love will not die.
This is a book which gets quite intense and the relationships between the characters get quite complicated but it is a good book to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 STARS, April 22 2014
Sofie (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wuthering Heights (Hardcover)
Like most books written before 1940, and especially those written in the 1800's and below, Wuthering Heights is a bit difficult to read, and there are several boring parts.

Chapter XV (I have a different edition) for me was incredibly powerful. I could feel Heathcliff and Catherine's love for each other burning through the pages. They get only one, just one, brief moment to confess their undying love for each other. The next chapter is equally as powerful. I could feel Heathcliff's despair and rage over Catherine's death.

"Catherine Earnshaw, you may not rest, as long as I am living! You said I killed you - haunt me then! The murdered *do* haunt their murders. I believe--I know that ghosts *have8 wandered on earth. Be with me always - take any form - drive me mad! Only *do* not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! It is unutterable! I *cannot* live without my life! I *cannot* live without my soul!"

This quote and Catherine's bold confession to Nelly of her feelings for Heathcliff are my favourite quotes in the story.

Wuthering Heights definitely isn't easy to get. So many characters share the same name and sometimes it gets dull. But when Heathcliff and Catherine are together on the page, it is passionate, heart-breaking, powerful, and you will realize why Wuthering Heights is considered one of the greatest love stories of all time.

5.0 out of 5 stars When an act of kindness brings forth a tragedy, May 20 2011
Omnes - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wuthering Heights (Paperback)
When Wuthering Heights first came out, readers were shocked by the violence and the passion of its story, that is the strange romance between the mysterious Heathcliff and Catherine Earnchaw, the daughter of Mr. Earnshaw who adopted Heathcliff. The scandal was so much that Emily Bronte, when she died, thought that her book was a failure. Fortunately for her, and for its first readers, the story's reputation grew among literary circles, became an important reading for people like Virginia Wolf, and even became a movie in 1939, starring the great Laurence Olivier and Merle Oberon. As such, the book's reputation has now become an important piece of art around the world, influencing important artists in their works (ex:Jane Campion's The Piano, J K Rowling's Harry Potter, etc.)

Most people tend to focus solely on the romance between Heathcliff and Catherine and they tend to think that the story is simply a love story, which is what they did with the Laurence Olivier movie. However, Wuthering Heights must be considered, at least that's what I think, as a tragedy which shows how a simple act of kindness from a good man brought forth discord, jealousy and a story of revenge whose victims, the Earnshaw and the Linton families, soon suffer the wrath of someone who never received the most decent sense of love. Not only that, Wuthering Heights shows how certain families, in distant regions positioned far from big cities, act between themselves as they bring upon each other their own laws. Having had grandparents who lived in regions resembling as much as the moors surrounding Wuthering Heights, I wasn't that much surprised by the cruelty that some of the Earnshaw and the Linton brought forth on Heathcliff.
So for me, that book, was a pleasure to read again and again.

One thing that surprised me with this book is how Emily Bronte managed to transcript the dialects of the countrymen of that region. Indeed, certain character's dialects are written according to how the characters pronounce them. Though reading it straight on for the first time, might be difficult, I suggest to those that may be rebuked by this type of dialogue transcription to read the dialogs aloud. To me it felt much more easier to understand certain conversations and have more pleasure reading that book.

As such, I recommend this book to everyone who would be interested to read a great piece of literature or to discover the original material that brought forth the movie adaptations that they love to watch and rewatch.

Wuthering Heights
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (Hardcover - Oct. 27 2009)
CDN$ 23.00