4.0 out of 5 stars Birthday Gift
This was a birthday gift for my grand daughter. She enjoyed it very much. I don't know what else to day
Published 8 months ago by Secondchild

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrong product
This was not at all what I was looking for. I needed an actual copy of Great Expectations not the illustrated version for kids.
Published 3 months ago by Kim McCaskill

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrong product, Dec 25 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Birthday Gift, Aug. 14 2013
This review is from: Penguin Classics Great Expectations (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Greatest Novels Ever Written, June 5 2004
Anne Rice (Palm Desert, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Expectations (Paperback)
Why do I come here to "review" this? It isn't anyone's book club selection, no. But tonight I want to talk about this incomparably rich and wonderful book, and how as a fourteen year old kid I simply sank into it, taking it slowly week by week, glorying in its mysteries, its great grotesque portrait of Miss Havisham in her rotting bridal finery, its often painful recounting of a young boy's awakening to a seductive world beyond the blacksmith's forge to which destiny has condemned him. This book was about me. It was about wanting to learn, wanting to transcend, wanting to achieve while anything and everything seems hopelessly beyond one's dreams. Of course life changes for Pip. And the world Pip enters was a world that dazzled me and only made my adolescent ambitions burn all the more hurtfully. I think this book is about all who've ever tried for more, ever reached for the gold ring -- and it's about some, of course, who've gotten it. It's also a wondrous piece of storytelling, a wondrous example of how in the first person ("I am, etc." ) a character can tell you more about himself than he himself knows. What a feat. And a very strange thing about this book, too, was the fact that Dickens said more about Pip and Pip's dreams than Dickens knew he was doing. Dickens himself didn't quite realize, I don't think, the full humanity of the character he created. Yet the character is there -- alive, captivating, engaging us throughout with full sympathy. Go for it. If you never read anything else by Charles Dickens, read and experience this book. Afterwards, David Copperfield will be a ride in the sunshine, I assure you. And both books will stand by you forever. For whom am I writing this? For myself perhaps just because Pip meant and still means so much. For some one perhaps who's unsure about this book and needs a push to dive into a classic. Oh, is this book ever worth the effort. -. Enough. Read it, know it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Expectations, July 2 2004
This review is from: Great Expectations (Paperback)
I have to read this book for highschool, and even though I'm not through with it quite yet, I think it's a lot better than I expected. Charles Dickens threw in a few parts that I thought were kind of exciting. In the beginning, you really have to get used to different spellings of words, like "skilful", for example, but after you get into the book more, you catch on.
The main character, Pip, goes from being a boy raised by his sister, to becoming a gentleman. In his journey, he meets several different people, like Ms. Havisham and Estella, for example. There are many different things he must go through before he is told he has an opportunity to become a gentleman. Now I just have to see how it ends!
I'd recommend it to people who are older than highschool, just because I think you'd enjoy and understand it a lot more! But if you're a real bookworm, you'd like it. :)

2.0 out of 5 stars eh..., March 9 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Great Expectations (Paperback)
Yup, this book is forced down the throats of high school kids. And yep, they usually hate it. I think Alessandro Manzoni's The Betrothed is better Dickens then even Dickens can do.

5.0 out of 5 stars A novel to pine for!, Feb. 22 2004
This review is from: Great Expectations (Paperback)
I was just 10 years old, when I first read an abridged version of this Dickens Classic. I must have read it many times since, and everytime I read it, I am filled with array of emotions, and a deep respect for the author. Pip, the hero, is a character that embodies hopes, disappointments and dreams of every boy. As he narrates his life, we grow with him, see many people come in and go out of his life, and we feel with him his emotions and predicaments. Life is full of surprises, unexpected twists and turns, and this novel is a great chronicle of the possibilities of fate. But most importantly, this is a story of pining... and a novel worth pining for.
Miss Havisham, the old lady, epitomizes eccentricity, while Estella in her cold abandon represents every heartbreaker. This story is about pining, about love, about friendship (especially Pip and Joe, and later Pip and Herbert), about relationships, and most importantly about what one feels and lives by. Like all Dickens novels, this is a very well written story, and is much more engrossing than any of its on screen versions. This is a story that must be read at leisure and it must be failing of the reader to try and compare it with some cheap paperback that one can scram through while watching a movie and munching chips and cola. Classics deserve respect, attention and concentration: dedicate yourself to one, and trust me you will discover a lot more. A lot more about the novel and a lot more about your own self.
We all have Great Expectations, and this one by Dickens beats them all!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Story, Feb. 10 2004
Karla eder (Morris, Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Expectations (Paperback)
Charles Dickens develops the characters, the plot, and the conflicts in Great Expectations spectacularly. The characters Dickens develops throughout the story are human and easy to connect with. Pip is the most real to life character, because he exhibits the most human-like qualities. Pip is a very personable character that makes the reader feel sorrow and happiness along with him. As Pip looks to better himself and become a gentleman, he comes to realize a very important life lesson; money cannot buy happiness. As Pip goes through the story, he allows the reader to see and feel exactly what he feels and sees.
Estella is described as a beautiful young woman that captures Pip's heart. Estella has a very insensitive personality, and enjoys making Pip cry; something everyone has encountered in a person some time in his/her life.
Herbert is a young man with many dreams and aspirations. Herbert becomes Pip's best friend, and Pip realizes that this young man works very hard for what he believes in. This is the kind of friend that will push a person where they would not normally go by themselves.
Abel Magwitch is the convict that Pip encounters at the beginning of the story. Magwitch gives Pip a large amount of money to start his life as a gentleman. Magwitch is the kind of person that would give the clothes off of his back to anyone in need. Magwitch is also a very personable character because he is not all good or all evil. He exhibits both of these; he is a convict and he devotes his life's earnings to Pip.
Charles Dickens develops an outstanding plot as the novel unfolds. There are many life lessons throughout the novel. Pip realizes that all of the money in the world cannot buy happiness. Pip also finds out that true love is not just the woman he cannot obtain, because love has to be much more. The plot has many twists and turns throughout. There is always something new happening to Pip. It is almost like a soap opera, because there are so many people and events interacting with each other during the novel. When the plot becomes a little thin, Dickens begins to create suspense for the next big event about to occur. Dickens chooses to develop the plot through the character's actions. Not once did Dickens explain what was happening in the story, he let the characters take over, and within a few pages all questions were answered.
The novel has many conflicts that develop throughout the plot. Pip and Estella have a love-hate relationship going on. Pip loves Estella, but she could care less about him. Pip and Joe have a conflict, too. Pip wants to see much less of Joe now that he is a gentleman, but Joe just wants to see Pip, period. Pip thinks he is too good for Joe, even though he is still just the same human as he was before. Money changes people's outlook on life. Pip was once a benevolent, caring, young man, but once he fell into money, he changed dramatically in the way he acted towards others. These conflicts provide for some pretty interesting facets in the story. Charles Dickens develops the characters, the plot, and the conflicts excellently throughout the novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story sort of like a soap opera, Feb. 2 2004
This review is from: Great Expectations (Paperback)
I have just read Charles Dicken's "Great Expectations" for my Honors English class. At first, I thought "Oh man, another book to read, this really sucks." I usually LOVE reading but I was rather disapointed because my whole social schedule would be ruined. Let me tell you, reading Great Expectations was better than what hanging out with my friends for the month could ever do. Since some of my friends were also reading it, I found it very interesting to compare opinions and thoughts. I loved the way Dicken's used symbols to tie every character together, like a spider's web. During class discusions, my teacher stated that most soap operas must have been based on this novel. To me, she is 100% right. Beautifully written, though some Victorian English terms may be hard for some to understand. Superb book, I would even give it more the 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars So...Dickens, So Good, Jan. 11 2004
"jimbruin04" (Central Valley, Cali) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Expectations (Paperback)
The reason I choose to write this review is quite simple: to tell of a great book that gets better every time you read it. The compelling twists of "Great Expectations" are very involved and makes for a book that not only comes off extremely in depth but also entertaining. I first read this book and high school and have since read it twice more. It seems the more knowledge I have gained the more I take out of each segment of this book as it is more closely tied into my real life.
Simply put this is Dickens masterpiece and that should not be overlooked as many of his books were of extreme quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful and beautiful book, Dec 13 2003
Bill R. Moore (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Expectations (Paperback)
Charles Dickens's acknowledged masterpiece, Great Expectations, is rightly considered one of the greatest novels of all-time. It depth and breadth are staggering, as it follows its protagonist, Pip, from his early childhood through his later life. During the course of his life, we encounter a vast catalog of raw human emotions: love, hate, jealousy, hope, sadness, despair, anger, pity, empathy, sympathy -- and on and on. The story is treasured and revered for many reasons. One of its main strengths is its plot: after a somewhat slow introductory section, Dickens puts his story in fifth gear and delivers a fast-paced and exciting story that gallops along without ever losing interest or clarity. The incredibly complex plotline, full of separate stories and incidents that seem totally unrelated to each other, but are then all harnessed together as the book heads straight toward its denouement, is also full of constant plot twists, which continue up until, literally, the last paragraph. But, of course, as with all of Dickens's major works, it is the characters that make the book. Like Shakespeare, Dickens preferred to have the story develop through the characters, rather than having the characters be mere set pieces inside of an overriding story. And what great characters they are: the perennially paradoxical but essentially human Pip; the bitter and mysterious Miss Havisham; the beautiful and haughty Estella; the simple and saint-like Joe; the kind and benevolent Herbert; the very human convict, Magwitch -- and all of the other wonderful characters. Dickens excelled in creating well-rounded, very human characters who harbored very real and very complex emotions -- that is, human emotions. We identify with Pip as he winds through his life, because we have been there, too -- the disappointments, the surprises, the loves, the anger, the sadness. In whatever way his story may differ from our own, it is still essentially human, as is ours. For all of his complex and paradoxical emotions and sentiments, Pip is a recognizably human character -- and that is why we love him and this book. A masterpiece for the ages, which will endure for years yet to come, Great Expectations is a great book that can be loved by one and all, for, at its heart, is that grain of simple truth that says so much about what is human in all of us -- whether we have great expectations or not.

ARRAY(0xbabf1138)

Penguin Classics Great Expectations
Penguin Classics Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (Hardcover - Oct. 26 2010)
CDN$ 23.00 CDN$ 16.79