5.0 out of 5 stars Stark woodcuts communicate nobility and tragedy.
Published on Dec 10 2001 by Nanette

1.0 out of 5 stars What a CROCK!!
This book perpetuates the out and out LIES surrounding the Gettysburg address.
This quote says it all...
Published on July 6 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Stark woodcuts communicate nobility and tragedy., Dec 10 2001
This review is from: The Gettysburg Address (Hardcover)
I read this book aloud to my children. The text is simply the Gettysburg address, broken into phrases with an illustration for each thought. Two-thirds of the way through the book, I found myself weeping. The combination of Lincoln's eloquence and the illustrations touched me. I would recommend using this book to introduce students of any age to Lincoln's famous speech and the history associated with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a CROCK!!, July 6 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Gettysburg Address (Paperback)
This book perpetuates the out and out LIES surrounding the Gettysburg address.
This quote says it all...
"The Gettysburg speech was at once the shortest and the most famous oration in American history... the highest emotion reduced to a few poetical phrases. Lincoln himself never even remotely approached it. It is genuinely stupendous. But let us not forget that it is poetry, not logic; beauty, not sense. Think of the argument in it.
Put it into the cold words of everyday.
The doctrine is simply this: that the Union soldiers who died at Gettysburg sacrificed their lives to the cause of self-determination -- that government of the people, by the people, for the people, should not perish from the earth.
It is difficult to imagine anything more untrue.
The Union soldiers in the battle actually fought *against* self-determination; it was the Confederates who fought for the right of their people to govern themselves."--

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gettysburg Address, May 7 2000
no (San Antonio, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gettysburg Address (Hardcover)
This is an incredible book. The Gettysburg Address was something I had to learn in school, but reading this book brings the speech to life.
I makes you really think about what is being said and brings it more to life. I have visited the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C. and the Gettysburg Address is incredible in Marble but in this book it really makes you think about what happened during the Civil War and what it means to us today.

Great Ideas The Gettysburg Address
Great Ideas The Gettysburg Address by Abraham Lincoln (Paperback - Sept. 22 2009)
CDN$ 9.99