5.0 out of 5 stars A great Erotic Vampire Novel
Lost souls is a great book for all of you who love to read vampire erotica. Poppy's most known characters are in this book; Steve & Ghost. Steve and Ghost make up the band Lost Souls? They live in Missing Mile North Carolina. Everything is going great until a boy named Nothing shows up with his Vampire friends, then all hell breaks loose.
Published on Feb. 5 2004 by Jane Doe

1.0 out of 5 stars Not at all what I expected
I received this audiobook for review from Crossroad Press through Audiobook Jukebox's Solid Gold Reviewer Program. I did not receive any compensation for my review, and the views expressed herein are my own.

I love vampires, and I love audiobooks - so I jumped at the chance to review a vampire audiobook! It was not at all what I expected.

Lost Souls...
Published on Sept. 26 2011 by Darlene

1.0 out of 5 stars Not at all what I expected, Sept. 26 2011
Darlene (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Lost Souls (Mass Market Paperback)

Lost Souls is about three androgynous bisexual (although mostly homosexual) vampires: Zillah (the leader) and his two sidekicks (Molochai and Twig). They come to New Orleans to party during Mardi Gras and they come across a bar that is owned by a vampire named Christian. There is an underage human girl (Jessy) at the bar, and she winds up having sex with Zillah while Christian has sex with Molochai and Twig. Jessy discovers that she is pregnant long after Zillah and his cronies have left New Orleans. Knowing that human females tend to not survive vampire childbirths, Christian takes Jessy in and has a sexual relationship with her throughout her pregnancy. She does indeed die during childbirth and has a boy whom Christian names "Nothing." Hoping to spare him of his destiny, Christian leaves Nothing on a doorstep and hopes the couple will love him as their own and that Nothing will never know of his true identity.

The book then jumps ahead 15 years when Nothing is a teenager, and he feels that he is totally misunderstood. He decides to run away and find the singers of a band whom he idolizes, and he hitches rides to the town where they live. He turns some tricks here and there, and then is picked up by Zillah, Molochai, and Twig. The vampire trio first intended to drain him, but instead have sex with him. Yes, that's right...Zillah has sex with his son, unbeknownst to him.

From here, the book continues on a downward spiral. This was not so much a vampire story, but more a story of getting high, getting drunk, and getting laid. I am a pretty open-minded person, and I wasn't so much bothered by the M/M and M/M/M and even M/M/M/M action - different strokes for different folks and all that. I am not one to judge, and it takes a lot to shock me. But it did really bother me when Zillah and Nothing hooked up. But wait, it gets worse: They do eventually discover that Zillah is Nothing's father, but they still continue having a sexual relationship! And Christian even tries to justify it saying that there are so few of their race left and that, if they can make each other happy, why not? Ok, this is disturbing. Christian also eventually has sex with Nothing, which brings on a whole new level of "ewwwwww" since he had sex with Nothing's mother and is now having sex with her son.

Let's recap: This book contains teenage prostitution, incest, sex with minors (statutory rape), and there was even an incident of rape. There was also another occurrence of incest, this time father/daughter, that I won't even go into because it was just too offensive.

I did not find this book entertaining. I found it dark and disturbing. It was not at all what I expected, and I will be steering clear of this author in the future!

The narrator, Chris Patton, did a fine job with the book. His voice was clear and expressive, and he was probably what kept me listening despite the book's content.

MY RATING: 1 star. I did not enjoy it at all. This was not for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars a puerile piece of writing, March 20 2010
Eddie (Montreal, QC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost Souls (Mass Market Paperback)
I have never been fond of vampires to begin with and I wasn't sure about buying "LOST SOULS" in the first place, but since I had a wonderful reading experience with " DRAWING BLOOD", I thought of trying Brite's first book which seemed to be very promising owing to the critics I've read on the internet. Well Let me tell you, the story was plain idiotic and downright childish. I remember reading somewhere in Brite's biography that she began writing at age 10 or so, I guess she must have penned "LOST SOULS" during her teenage days and probably purposed to target a specific young fan base that would relate to the depressed kids in this book, always portrayed as black-clad wrist-slitting social misfits, with dark eyeliner smudged around their eyes and piercings everywhere, they worship vampires and listen to heavy metal. That was just not my cup of tea. Some parts are erotic indeed, but also grotesque, it's vampires after all, so everything they do is just nasty. Molochai and Twig are one hell of an annoying pair, I was hoping they would die at the end, unfortunately they didn't, I hated their puerile way of acting, always giggling and making stupid jokes. Zillah was portrayed as a green-eyed beauty that everyone can't help but fall for. Shallow, irresponsible and cold-hearted, he has a dismal fate in the end. Nothing was quiet the lost soul the story revolves around, the kid just doesn't know where he belongs and Christian was a boring personage. What I loved the most about the book though, is this `bromance' ( as some may call it) going on between Steve and Ghost. Steve is definitely portrayed as a straight guy but the chemistry between him and Ghost feels very homoerotic in some parts. These two were my favourite characters out of the whole lot and therefore were about the only thing that kept me entertained throughout the whole book.

Be that as it may, I thought the way Rape and Incest are tackled in this story was quiet interesting, Brite doesn't condone it but doesn't make it look wrong either. I guess in a spirit of living in a vampire's world, anything goes because they're different creatures and they don't go by the same rules and morals as humans do and clearly that is the reason why the book is overloaded with perverted sexuality which the reader must have no negative judgement upon, otherwise the story will come off as provocative and vulgar for no reason.

All in all, if you're a teenager and you're questioning your sexuality and happen to like vampires all at the same time, then this is the ideal book for you. I for one, didn't like it for its juvenile vibe.

3.0 out of 5 stars Creepy, gothic and it adds to vampire lore, March 19 2007
This review is from: Lost Souls (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the first book I've read by Poppy Z. Brite, after hearing good reviews of her writing I decided to pick it up. This book is worth reading. Brite writes wonderful descriptions and interesting characters. The book is written about several compelling characters, mainly Nothing a young boy who never fits in and leaves home to seek out where he belongs, Ghost a young man with an uncanny "psychic twinkle" and his best friend Steve and three vampires Zillah, Molochai and Twig who are decadent, violent predators. Brite adds some new twists to the world of vampires, for starters vampires are not turned but rather born from mother's that die giving life to their offspring. Basically they are mutations and have never been human, and cannot turn humans into vampires. The book is fast paced and very interesting to read. Brite is a talented author and the fact that this was her first book I can only imagine how her later works will read when she is given even more time to work on her craft. I would suggest this book for any horror or vampire fanatics. My only complaint (and the reason the book got 3/5 stars) is the ending is a bit anticlimatic and it ends fairly quickly after establishing such rich characters. I did want a little more from the ending. But it still is a great novel and shows that Brite had considerable talent even in her first book.

4.0 out of 5 stars here's a review, as a means of trying to avoid that tricky analysis of judith butler i have due tomorrow., Nov. 14 2006
This review is from: Lost Souls (Mass Market Paperback)
this is one of those books you read in your teens and you just feel like, you know, somebody *gets* it. like, what self-respecting goth kid didn't want to run away from home and somehow magically find a new and better family who actually understood them? come on.

well, i didn't, but i was weird in that i actually liked my family. or maybe my family was weird. who knows.

point being, i freaking love this book. it reminds me of being that sad kid that deep down you never entirely stop being, and you know, i always wanted to be a vampire when i grew up. i find it kind of intriguing that pregnancy becomes a kind of STD, though i find it somewhat irksome that three out of the four female characters we are introduced to (the fourth appearing rather momentarily as a kind of clever but benign grandmother figure) all fall pregnant, and die. i dunno, i guess i would have liked to have seen a bit more female strength and fun subversion of sexuality that we saw the male characters get to experience. but i liked it. a good, fun, sex-and-blood-and-drugs romp.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tired of the lazy minds, June 26 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Lost Souls (Mass Market Paperback)
Long have I cherished this book, but it's clear that in her late 30s, Poppy Z. Brite has grown up and is doing more sophisticated work now. Still this is a beautiful document of a moment in time so many of us lived through. However I grow so tired of the lazy minds that insist Lost Souls 'borrows' (to quote another review) from the works of Anne Rice. This is a silly and simpleminded comparison. Other than a New Orleans setting and elements of sexuality, the two writers have nothing in common can I see. I like both. However, Brite has stated many times that she has not read Rice and does not believe her an influence, and it seems rude to basicly call her a liar, which is what you do if you insist on making this comparison.
As well, as much as I enjoy the works of Rice, I feel she stopped growing as a writer. She seems stuck on the same subjects, style, ideas. Granted she is a good 20 or 25 years older than Brite, but I still find more refreshing an author who can go from vampire rhapsodys to restaurant comedys in only 10 years.

4.0 out of 5 stars sex, drugs, and bloody gore, June 17 2004
This review is from: Lost Souls (Mass Market Paperback)
This book disturbed me on many levels, but once I began reading it, I couldn't stop. This story is quite high in what my friend and I call "ick factor", so if you're easily grossed out, it's not for you. Aside from all the nonchalant drug use and casual sex, there's a good story here, and Poppy Z. Brite's style is quite different and engaging. I would also reccommend The Voice Of The Blood by Jemiah Jefferson, in addition to this book, as it has a similar feel to it (but I advise against Wounds;the sequel to The Voice Of The Blood. It was so excruciatingly pointless and drawn out it was nearly unbearable).

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts out great, but grows tiring..., June 6 2004
Shannon B. Paul "shannon-belinda" (La Mesa, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost Souls (Mass Market Paperback)
I love vampire stories! I WAS also one of the "goth" crowd in high school...many yrs ago, before it was labeled such. So when I stumbled upon this book and started reading, I couldn't believe I had somehow missed it when it came out over 10 yrs ago! I was instantly hooked. I consider myself to be an open-minded individual, so the gay tendencies of the characters did not bother me. I also liked her twist on vampires as being of another race altogether...
However, after reading about two-thirds through, I had grown tired of the vampire life-style that Ms. Brite created. It is extremely dark and depressing.
After being a long-time fan of the vampire world and reading and fantasizing about how "cool" it would be to "be" one, Ms. Brite's story changed all that. I realized that whereas other tellings of vampire stories have the reader feeling as if they would love to be one too, this story had the reverse effect...at least for me. It is a much more "realistic" telling of the horrors, sadness and loneliness that it would truly be like. She does not romanticize this world at all. She shows exactly what callous evil beings vampires truly would be if they DID exist.
I also grew tired of Ms. Brite's extreme over-use of the word, "spider". As a noun, an adjective and even a verb! Either that's talent or that's over-kill. To her credit, there were many passages that were almost poetic, they were written so well.
I'm sure if this had been around and I had read it when I was into my whole "deathie" phase 18 yrs ago, that this would have been a much better read for me.
I did finish the story and was sad to say good-bye to the character of Ghost. I would love to see a story dedicated to him. I think that would be really interesting.
I would only recommend this book to readers who only wear black on the outside and/or the inside.
For those who love vamp stories, but want lighter fare, try the Southern Vampire series by Charlaine Harris. Fun to read and humorous with a great heroine, Sookie Stackhouse!

2.0 out of 5 stars I expected more., April 3 2004
Spoiler Alert!
I had heard several rave reviews about this novel so I read it and was disappointed. What you must keep in mind I am 29. I think had I read this book at 14 or so, I would have been enthralled with it.
It borrows liberally from superior works, most notably Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. There was a lot of extraneous expository writing that felt like a waste of time reading, overused adjectives (apparently everyone in Poppy Brite's world has "spidery" hands, smokes clove cigarettes, lives in proximity to kudzu trees). And of course it had the typical "let's kick some vampire ass" ending.
Lost Souls is almost entirely a landscape of young, beautiful, skinny, white males, mostly making out with each other or killing people in graphic detail. It just comes across more as titillation rather than trying to say something about the human condition or go beyond being entertainment in the same vein as rock videos. One reviewer mentioned it as being like fan-fiction, and I got that vibe as well. It also makes the fatal mistake of trying to make vampire rock stars, which is tantamount to trying to run a car on water instead of gas. It's a great idea if it could work, but alas, it never does.
The book also takes "Goth culture," for lack of a better term, a bit too seriously for it's own good. Besides the occasional sarcastic quip from Steve, the book doesn't acknowledge any of the complete absurdity of some of the situations described, the way a good "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" episode would. It is very much written for the serious, Marilyn Manson-listening, dressed-in-black set. It doesn't really try to transcend it's genre, so it's difficult to recommend such a book to anyone who doesn't fall into that category. Even then, I'm sure many self-proclaimed "Goths" would cringe at the thought of reading this.
That said, I will grudgingly give Brite some points for her additions/twists to the vampire myth (Mostly the pregnancy- vampire hybrid ideas - I can only hope they were of her own invention and I'm giving her credit justly) Ghost, I thought was particularly nicely rendered as a character. There were some interesting visual ideas (Christian as a roadside rose stand vendor comes to mind). I managed to make it to the end at least, and take the time to think enough about the book to give it a review, so I think that shows that I have a least a modicum of respect for it.
Bottom line- I wouldn't recommend it to readers older than 20-25, and who aren't already interested in vampire fiction.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhere in the Middle, Feb. 17 2004
Ben Dugan "Ben Dugan" (Flying Monkey Killer) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost Souls (Mass Market Paperback)
A friend of mine recommended Poppy Z. Brite to me a few months ago, and i immediatly got her short story collection, "Wormwood" that I would highly recommend to anyone. But upon reading this, I found myself somewhat impartial to this book, finding it to be a good book, but not great.
The writting style is excellent. She paints a really goos picture in your mind of the charactors and their surroundings, and the story is relativly easy to get into. The problem I had with this book was the way the author tried to shock you with things that may have been shocking thirty years ago, but now seem dated and contrived.
Overall, I would say that this book is better than Anne Rice's growing number of dull novels, and is worth reading in your spare time, as long as your expectations aren't really high. I would say buy it a used book store or check at your local library.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Erotic Vampire Novel, Feb. 5 2004
This review is from: Lost Souls (Hardcover)

ARRAY(0xb833e4d4)