countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

• Emma

Format: Hardcover|Change

on February 19, 2016
As usual, Austen's heroine is insufferable. A great read if you love self-involved female protagonists coupled with predictable love stories and cliche endings.

Spoiler alert: I just summed up every Austen novel.
on June 23, 2015
This book has a beautiful cover. As well as a ribbon on the inside to mark your page. I have already started reading it, I love the index at the back which gives a thorough explanation to some of the phrases and words that I don't quiet understand. Also gave a lovely description of jane austins life.
on February 29, 2016
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." - Thus begins Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen's witty comedy of manners. If you notice, the very first sentence itself is a masterpiece of tongue-in-cheek social commentary, and instantly paints a picture of the socio-cultural situation of the era.

You would think that it is representative of what is to follow; and to an extent, I would agree, but not really. It is just a very tiny glimpse of the mastery that Austen has over her craft. I could rave endlessly about the excellent plotting, or characterization, or even about how Austen's wit and the wisdom reflects in the narrative. But I realize that anything that has to be said about this book, has already been said, in much fancier language than I can ever hope to express.

Nonetheless, I am not going to let that stop me from gushing over it, because this has been more than just a book for me - it has been an experience - a very special one.

It is special for many reasons - for one, the language is delightful beyond comparison. I used to be intimidated by old texts as they are often dry and difficult to read, but I truly loved the way some words are used in this book, and wished language would still be dealt with in the same manner. But I also wonder - is it really the language of the era, or a superior skill of presentation that Austen possessed?

And secondly, I am amazed at how relatable and relevant this book is (even after 200 years of it being written!). The characters are interesting, the family dynamic is amusing, and kind of all over the place (but that is really how it is with all of us) - there's love, loyalty, concern, annoyance, and exasperation even!

Having said that, the first half of the book was kind of a slow burner, and while it was still interesting, it was going nowhere fast. But I labored through it, and the book just got better and better! The romance between Mr. Darcy and Miss. Bennet is not one that I am going to forget anytime soon.

Read full review at SHANAYA TALES DOT COM.
on February 5, 2016
Stands up. Simple and direct, great characterization, complex characters. I read it like the psychological insight covered the money plot that is in so many novels where the characters are not as well done.
on December 3, 2015
I've read this book multiple times, and each time I read it I love it even more.

The satire and wit with which Austen narrates the story of Elizabeth Bennet can be lost on those who don't understand the language of the time, so I highly suggest taking the time to watch the movie first to give some context/faces to the characters, as well as the drama.

Amazing amazing read.
on June 30, 2013
The last of her novels published when she was alive, Jane Austen’s Emma depicts the life of this 21 year-old woman, who lives with her father assuming the role of mistress of the house. As one of the “belles” of Highbury she believes herself entitle to every of her fantasies, including matchmaking just about everyone. The long-time family friend Mr Knightley does not approve of all this, especially when it concerns the projects she has for the future of Harriet Smith or the fancy she takes to Mr Frank Churchill. But it seems that nothing is to stop her, except maybe love...

I used to think this longest novel, the less of 2 evils when compared to Mansfield Park but I must admit that on the second reading, I like it less that I thought I originally did. Probably because of all the 6 novels, this one is the lightest of all in terms of its characters psyche. You do not need to as dig deep to understand the essence of Emma Woodhouse's character, as you would have with others. Everything is written on the surface, which is why I recommend you read it in a very light mood, a vacation mood.

For more about this book and many more, visit my blog :

ladybugandotherbookworms.blogspot.com
on June 30, 2013
In her second novel, Jane Austen tells the story of Elizabeth Bennet, a bright 21 year-old woman, who is determined to marry only if she has the deepest love and respect for her future husband. Those are not her feelings when she first encounters Mr Darcy, who at first seems like a pride and cold gentleman. In fact she prefers Mr Wickham, an old acquaintance of Mr Darcy who considers himself as having been wrongfully treated by him. But is this truly the case or will Mr Darcy, upon further acquaintance, reveal himself to be more than the personification of pride itself?

Of all Jane Austen’s novels, this one remains my absolute favorite for here she depicts with wit and humor all that she sees of human stupidity in Mr Collins , silliness in Mrs Bennet and her 3 younger daughters, as well as cynicism in Mr Bennet. This romantic novel is also a parade of the most bizarre of marriages: from loveless to senseless, without forgetting a catastrophic elopement, Pride and Prejudice has it all. But all this would be nothing without the presence of the spirited Elizabeth Bennet and Mr Darcy who’s many encounters and witty/intellectual matches makes me love them and consider them as one of Jane Austen’s most powerful couple. This is simply a masterpiece.

For more about this book and many more, visit my blog at :

ladybugandotherbookworms.blogspot.com
on July 30, 2014
Mr. Darcy wrote Lizzie a 5 page letter. Omg! I consider myself lucky when my guy writes me a 5 sentence text. Romance is dead :(

But not in this book. Some of the greatest love quotes can be found inside it. I felt astonished by the way Austen handled such direct characters. And although I do not wish to be as blunt as Lizzie in real life, I respect her, and find the story well deserved of its timeless classic title.
on December 30, 2014
Listening to this outstanding production it is abundantly clear that Jane Austen's books are best when read out loud. Prunella Scales is magnificent, playing every part with masterful precision and LOL comedic moments. Her Miss Bates and Mr Elton are beyond delightful. A must-have for any Austenite. Truly a shame that it's no longer available in CD format.
on November 9, 2003
Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen, follows society's elite through the trials and tribulations of love, pride, money, and marriage negotiations. This novel takes place in 19th century England and revolves around the slow development of love found between two characters. The first of these characters is Elizabeth Bennet, a clever, beautiful, and spirited young woman. Pride and Prejudice begins, when Mrs. Bennet asks Mr. Bennet to call on their new neighbor, Mr. Bingley. Mr. Bingley has an income of 5 thousand pounds a year and is not married, so Mrs. Bennet hopes to marry one of her 5 daughters to him. Jane, the eldest daughter, and Mr. Bingley begin to like each other during a ball. Elizabeth, the second oldest, meets Mr. Darcy at the same ball. Darcy initially does not care for Elizabeth, and refuses to even dance with her.
However, as Elizabeth grows to dislike Darcy, Darcy starts to become very fond of her. She and Darcy meet again when she stays with Mr. Bingley, because her sister, Jane, has taken ill at their house. Ms. Bingley, the sister of Mr. Bingley, herself hopes to wed Darcy, and seeks to make Elizabeth less appealing to Darcy. After Jane's recovery she and Elizabeth return home. There they welcomed to their home by their cousin Mr. Collins, who, because of the inheritance customs of the times (the Bennet girls had no brothers), was the heir to the Bennet family home. Together, Elizabeth and her family travel to town, where they met Mr. Wickham. Mr. Wickham notices Elizabeth, who he found charming, and describes to her a terrible deed he alleges Darcy had committed against him. Wickham claimed that Darcy owed him money and had denied him of a promised avocation. This new information causes Elizabeth to despise Darcy even more.
Soon Mr. Collins, the rather odd clergyman, proposes to Elizabeth. To her mother's dismay, she refuses him. Instead, her friend Charlotte Lucas marries Mr. Collins, and Elizabeth goes to visit them and their neighbor the great Lady Catherine De Bourgh. During her stay Elizabeth sees Darcy again, and he proposes. Elizabeth refuses, reciting all the terrible things he had done, including the mistreatment of Wickham. In response, Darcy writes Elizabeth explaining how Wickham had tried to elope with his sister because of her money. Elizabeth is forced to rethink, her opinions relating to Darcy and Wickham.
That summer Elizabeth traveled to Pemberly on holiday with her aunt and uncle, and while there her aunt and uncle wanted to see the beautiful Darcy estate. While visiting, Darcy showed up. Darcy and his sister heartily welcomed Elizabeth and her aunt and uncle, and invited them to dinner. Elizabeth began to grow fonder of Darcy. Dreadful news arrived during Elizabeth's stay at Pemberly. Her frivolous younger sister Lydia had run off with Wickham. Upon learning of the circumstances, Darcy sought out and found Wickham and Lydia, forcing them to marry. Elizabeth and her aunt and uncle returned to the Bennet home.
Bingley and Darcy together visited the Bennet household to call upon Jane and Elizbeth. Jane became engaged to Bingley, and when Darcy proposed to Elizabeth, her heart had changed, so she said yes. Elizabeth had fallen in love Darcy. They had both seen past their pride and past the prejudices that they had learned from society. Elizabeth and Darcy were happy in marriage, and remained forever grateful to Elisabeth's aunt and uncle for uniting them.
I would recommend the book Pride and Prejudice. It forces each of us to think about our roles in life. The novel also makes us think about our own pride and our own prejudices against others, and the need for us to learn more about people before we judge them. This book is also one of the greatest Romances of all time, bringing to life the love that a man and a woman held for each other from another era. It provides meaningful messages that all of us should learn. The characters are also interesting. This book is good for people who understand the use of language in the 19th century. Pride and Prejudice is a classic novel that I love, and believe everyone would enjoy.