5.0 out of 5 stars Jane at the Top of her Game
Published 5 months ago by Paul James

3.0 out of 5 stars A new twist to Sense and Sensibility
I've been considering getting one of Jane Austen book for a few years now but I never did so far. Yes I am honestly saying to you that I have never read one of her book before. When I had the opportunity of reviewing a new edition of Sense and Sensibility, I thought it was the perfect opportunity of revising this lack in my bookworm life.
So as many of you probably...
Published on March 23 2010 by Canadianladybug

5.0 out of 5 stars Jane at the Top of her Game, Jan. 25 2014
Sense and Sensibility hasn't the humour of Pride and Prejudice but it's still extremely good. Jane captures the exuberance of teenage first love and the all-too-often disappointment that follows really well. The contrast between sense (Elinor) and sensibility (Marianne) is well-drawn and makes some readers irritated by the extreme positions they hold. However, everything works out for the best and, unlike most writers, even the bad guy ends up rich though perhaps not happy.

Being more of an 'Elinor' myself, I like the story because Marianne does come round to 'our' way of thinking, which isn't a popular view in today's hedonistic world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic story with notes, Dec 12 2013
This review is from: Sense and Sensibility (Paperback)
This is a really good edition of this story. I read this story for the first time using a different edition but this edition has a really helpful set of notes to really help the reader get all they can out of the story (those little things that our modern sensibilities have lost). Only drawback of this version is that the paper was not as white as it could have been leading to a poor contrast.

4.0 out of 5 stars The most romantic of all Austen’s novels., June 30 2013
Ladybug (Montreal, Qc) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sense and Sensibility (Paperback)
The first of her published novels, Sense and Sensibility tells the story of Dashwood sister’s Elinor and Marianne who although basically penniless, are determined to move towards what they believe to be the perfect love. Marianne being thoroughly romantic and ardent in her vision is ready to die for love, but Elinor is more thoughtful and self-controlled and puts much more sense into it. They will each have to overcome grief and despair to achieve what they hope will be marital bliss.

In my opinion, this first novel of Austen is by far her most romantic and depicts sisterly love in a beautiful way. Each time I read it, I can help but feeling for either of the sisters as they grow apart or closer in their quest for Edward Ferrars or John Willoughby. The whole novel is well plotted, not matter what some people have said about the unraveling of the love triangle that is Lucy Steele, Elinor and Edward. And even though every deadly romantic individual will hope for a happy ending in between Marianne and Willoughby, I find that her marrying sensible Colonel Brandon, although almost twice her senior, is much more suitable than her ending with Willoughby.

For more about this book and many more, visit my blog at:

ladybugandotherbookworms.blogspot.com

3.0 out of 5 stars A new twist to Sense and Sensibility, March 23 2010
Canadianladybug "Canadianladybug" (Ottawa, ON, CANADA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sense and Sensibility (Paperback)
So as many of you probably know, this is the story of two sisters and their love ones. So I won't expand on the story per say for this review since this is apparently a classic in English literature. Being French Canadian, I had not gotten to know Jane Austen in the past. But I am now and I am glad to have read one of her book. But I must be honest to say that at times, I was having trouble to understand the old English style of writing and reading. For example, when talking about the age of someone, they would say of me one and forty instead of forty-one. So I figure that part pretty easily. But other terminology and words were harder to understand.
Well the insight edition will bring various notes throughout the reading of the book to help clarify what the reader comes upon. There are historical and cultural details and definitions from England in the early 1800s. I really like these as it helped me to picture and situate the culture of that time. There are also facts and tidbits from Austen's life that parallel or illuminate the novel. This information was interesting but I suspect that die-hard fans of Austen would really enjoy them. The reader will also have access of references to Sense and Sensibility to today's culture, unscientific ranking of the novel's most frustrating characters, themes of faith drawn from the novel or Austen's life as well as comments and asides on the book's characters and plot.
As I said previously, I am having some issues with the way it is written - old English style- but I also believe that a person shall make the effort of reading something out of her comfort zone once in a while. And this novel is definitively out of my own comfort zone. The story is a classic brought many times on TV and movie. The author is well known around the world. It is my duty as a woman who loves to read to get exposed to this kind of writing to expand my knowledge and my taste. So I pursue the reading every night and I discover a little bit more about the Dashwood sisters and their life in the 1800s in England. I find it interesting.
Another thing that I particularly appreciate in this book is the fact that the reader will find a series of questions that are perfect of a book club.
This review was possible because I received a copy of Sense and Sensibility from Bethany House.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, Oct. 20 2009
This review is from: Sense and Sensibility (Paperback)
My love for anything and everything Victorian has helped me embrace this novel set in the Regency Period, and so, naturally I fell in love with this timeless piece. This story of the very different Dashwood sisters and their clashing tastes in their choices of men to love, was endearing as well as very frustrating at times. Just when I thought the obvious about Colonel Brandon, Edward or Willoughby- the story took a different turn just to add to the intrigue of it all; classic Austen at its best.

The story revolves around love-sickness, love-triangles, a marriage of convenience, age and love, differences of choices and opinions, wealth and social status, influence, family conflict, secret-filled pasts and ultimately'and appropriately so: sense and sensibility. I'm still not sure which of the sisters I concurred with the most; Elinor or Marianne... Austen brilliantly shifts us from one perception to the other while embracing both depending on the situation. Ultimately the girls' reconciliation and love for eachother blends the disparities of state helping them come to terms with their own serenity. Love can then be found and accepted under a new light.

Sense and Sensibility is a light read embedded with deeper meaning that brings comfort, peaks interest and offers a colourful variety of figures (the comical busy-body Miss Jennings is indeed very special!) On the whole, this read meshed excitement, passion, drama as well as 'sagesse' in the lives of two otherwise very ordinary ladies of the times. The book doesn't skip a beat with essential meanings and turn of events within every paragraph- With this one, you won't want to blink:)

One can never get enough of elegantly written suspense-filled love twists and pangs. At least I can't- Loved it!

[...].

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Writing, Interesting but Too Rushed of an Ending, Feb. 14 2011
This review is from: Sense and Sensibility (Paperback)
I had to read this novel for an ENG university class and I was excited because despite so many years, I had yet to pick up a Jane Austen book. I found that I really enjoyed the way she wrote and didn't feel like I was forcing myself to read through it. Upon a discussion in class however, the men spoke up about how it was not something they would've read in their free time.

I guess Austen has a way of using de-script words and likes to set the scene while most men like it with more...action? My boyfriend didn't complain about it but I think it was just to make me feel better.

I'm going to explore her other works but I will warn you that it is a little frustrating sometimes when all men are antagonists at first and the time period they were in really limit women.

4.0 out of 5 stars Elinor And Marianne, Jan. 18 2011
Dave_42 "Dave_42" (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Penguin Classics Sense And Sensibility (Paperback)
"Sense and Sensibility" is the first published novel of Jane Austen. Originally published in 1811, the novel went through several versions perhaps starting with "Elinor and Marianne" in 1795, though it is not certain. I suspect that "Sense and Sensibility" is the second best known work of Austen after "Pride and Prejudice", and I would say that it is not as easy to read as "Pride and Prejudice". One of the reasons for this is due to the importance of what was considered proper behavior at the time, and without an understanding of that standard of behavior, the motivation of the characters is hidden from the reader. Nevertheless, it is still worth the effort to read and overall it is worthwhile. At the same time, it is well worth reading an edition like the Penguin Classics version, which helps the reader understand the period and societal standards which play an important role in this novel.

The main characters of "Sense and Sensibility" are the sisters Elinor and Marianne, who are the daughters of Mr. Dashwood and his second wife. There is a third daughter, Margaret and of course his second wife Mrs. Dashwood. When Mr. Dashwood passes away, his estate passes to his son by his first wife, leaving the Dashwood women into lives of reduced means. The two elder sisters experience nearly the same situations. Both find love, then the shock of learning that those they love are pre-engaged.

"Sense and Sensibility" is written in three volumes. The first deals with the transition of the Dashwood women to their new lives where they leave their Norland home move to stay with distant relations (the Middletons) at Barton Park. Elinor cares for Edward Ferras, the brother-in-law of her half-brother, and Marianne meets and is courted by John Willoughby. Willoughby leaves suddenly for London, causing Marianne distress. This volume also introduce Anne and Lucy Steele, two relations of the Middleton's who arrive as guests, but their arrival causes problems for Elinor who learns that Lucy is secretly engaged to her Edward. In Volume II, it is Marianne who learns that Willoughby has become engaged to another, due to his wasting his fortune and need for wealth. In Volume III the situations with the two sisters and those who they thought they loved is resolved, though in different ways.

"Sense and Sensibility", in my opinion, is more difficult for a modern reader to digest, but that does not mean that it doesn't have anything to offer. There are some wonderful moments and when presented in a scholarly format with detailed notes it can still be enjoyed the same way it was when first published. I don't personally rate "Sense and Sensibility" as high as "Pride and Prejudice", but it is still a very good novel and an important piece of literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the Insight Edition!, Feb. 2 2010
Christina Banks "Stina Rose" (Deep River, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sense and Sensibility (Paperback)
When I heard that Bethany House was offering Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility for review, I flew at the chance. Not only does this edition offer the beloved classic story of Elinor and Marianne Dashwood, it also give the reader a fun glimpse into the world where Jane Austen lived and wrote. I enjoyed the editorial comments along the way. It made me feel like I was reading a book with a friend, and that friend was sharing insights and funny things as they read it with me. One of my favorite features was the ongoing list of disliked characters. It was fun to see who made it on the top of the list in that specific chapter.

Though I had read Pride and Prejudice before, I had never taken the time to read Sense and Sensibility. I'm so glad that I did, and that it was in this format. I'm going to look into getting a copy of Pride and Prejudice the Insight edition, as well.

I highly recommend this book. It would be a wonderful addition to any library.

(I received a free copy of this book for the purpose of review.)

5.0 out of 5 stars There is something so amiable in the prejudices of a young mind, Nov. 19 2009
Malkie Bear (Toronto, Ontario CANADA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sense and Sensibility (Audio CD)
Clearly, Jane Austen wrote to be read aloud. The story truly comes alive in the spoken word. Juliet Stevenson effortlessly conveys the irony of Austen's language in a lively, engaging manner, and her voice work is exceptional. Get this collection for your long commute and put an end to road rage!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Similar to Pride but Holds Its Own by the End, July 10 2004
Jennifer B. Barton "Beth Barton" (McKinney, Tx) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Penguin Classics Sense And Sensibility (Paperback)
In Sense and Sensible the storyline dwells on the two elder sisters of the Dashwood family, Elinor and Mariane. Elinor is always in control of her emotions and is governed primarily by prudence (sense). Her younger sister, Marianne, is an emotional whirlwind whose sensibilities dictate that those who do not evidence wholly encompassing emotions are without them entirely. As in Pride & Prejudice, the family home of the Dashwoods has been willed to another member of the family not in the immediate nuclear family. In Pride & Prejudice, the home was entailed to Mr. Collins, a distant cousin. Where there was only an overshadowing of the loss of the estate in that book, in Sense & Sensibility, the house is actually lost to the half brother whose wife, a Ferrar, not only talks her husband out of the generous support to his half sisters that he promised (albeit vaguely) his dying father but makes life in general unpleasant for the Dashwood ladies until they find a situation with a cousin, John Middleton. Part of the unpleasantness surrounds an apparent but unprofessed affection of her brother, Edward Ferrars, for the eldest Dashwood, Elinor.
It would seem that the move has quashed the supposed attraction, leaving Elinor attempting to contain her disappointment. Marianne meanwhile strikes up an intense relationship with equally extroverted Willoughby. When Willoughby suddenly disappears, the two girls come together to support each other emotionally through a storm of discoveries, pleasant and unpleasant.
Sense and Sensibility develops into its own independent storyline after many similarities with Pride & Prejudice. Although this novel holds its own and is an enjoyable book, I still feel that Pride & Prejudice is its superior in pace, story line and general feel. Sense came out well before Pride and it almost feels that the same idea is being worked out in both - an idea that got clearer and was better communicated in Pride. Pride had a much more natural (believable) feeling to the events where Sense does require a little suspension of disbelief in some of the contrivances to get to a happy ending (specifically referring to the actions of Robert Ferrar). If you liked Pride and want more Austen, this is your book. If you are choosing between the two, choose Pride ... than come back for this one.

Penguin Classics Sense And Sensibility
Penguin Classics Sense And Sensibility by Jane Austen (Paperback - Feb. 25 2003)
CDN$ 7.99 CDN$ 7.59