countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 23, 2016
Good book,flawless delivery
on May 5, 2016
At a certain point, lovers of 19th century fiction will have read most of Charles Dickens’ most well-known novels such as “Oliver Twist”, “A Tale of Two Cities”, “David Copperfield”, “Great Expectations”, etc. I could give five stars to any of those afore mentioned books. When turning to his lesser-known books such as “Bleak House”, one can discover not all of his books were works of great genius. I can only muster three stars for this one. Firstly, he fails to convincingly write in the first-person for a woman’s voice. I did not like that Esther kept going on about how she is not clever when she actually sounded very intelligent. While Dickens often used a lot of detail in his novels, “Bleak House” is really excessive in detail. Each chapter was written as a serial and each chapter is about the same size in length. One gets the impression that Dickens was adding long descriptive passages to merely fill his publisher’s quota of words for each chapter. The basic plot is a good one and it twists and turns in unusual ways. I felt there were several I-didn’t-see-that-coming moments. It is a good book. It is not a great book. It’s only for die-hard lovers of Charles Dickens.
on February 21, 2016
Love this novel. Does not read like an eight hundred page book. Better than the revival of these types of overdone characters by writers like Franzen.
on August 24, 2015
just awesome, and the kindle is the best thing to read dickens on
on August 19, 2015
A tough read and I found the plot a bit convoluted.
on October 15, 2014
I loved the book and would have given it five stars except that I bought the Kindle (Vintage) version which contains several distracting idiosyncrasies; chiefly, interspersed throughout the book are spaces, the letters BH as well as letters such as Aa, Bb etcetera. As I kept seeing these, it occurred to me that BH are a clerical staff's initials, the other letters having served as markers for BH, all of which would normally be deleted before publication but were not in the instant case. As well, the capital letter C in the novel is sometimes misprinted as a capital letter G, so one of the main characters Miss Ada Clare is sometimes Miss Glare.
on March 24, 2014
I loved this book. I have read a few by Charles Dickens and this together with David Copperfield is my favorite.
The book is quite long but I like that because you really get to know the characters and once you get into it is hard to put down.
This book definitely made me want to read more of Dickens.
on July 20, 2013
I loved Bleak House. This book keeps you thinking from one chapter to another and wondering what will become of the characters.
Again, a wonderful classic full of suspense.
on June 28, 2013
I've only read 1/3 of the book so far, and unlike most of Dickens' books, the beginning is really BLEAK, and slow-moving.
"Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." -- 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 (NKJV)

Bleak House is Dickens' most complete statement of the virtues of self-sacrificing love. I am very sorry that I waited so many years to listen to the uplifting reading of this outstanding book by David Case.

Lest you make the same mistake I did in putting off this joy, let me explain how I ended up deciding to avoid Bleak House for so many years. First, of course, there's that title. You have to admit that you probably don't get excited about learning about a bleak house. On this point, let me assure you that the literal bleak house in this book is anything but. Second, there's the book's opening and continuing theme about lives being destroyed by the evils of the Chancery court, most vividly expressed by the suit of Jarndyce and Jarndyce. One of my law professors read part of that opening on my first day of classes in graduate school, and it made me think that surely the rest of the book must be nearly as depressing and discouraging. Wrong again! There are some very commendable characters and actions in the book that would inspire anyone.

Bleak House essentially describes England from the perspective of Miss Esther Summerson beginning with her guardianship by one John Jarndyce, one of the affected parties in the Jarndyce and Jarndyce chancery case. As Dickens does in many of his best novels, these two characters provide the examples of right behavior that encourage the reader while advancing the plot. Throughout the story, you'll find more characters that will stick in your memory than I suspect you are used to finding in a single novel. In that sense, Bleak House is a bit like a movie with a cast filled with Academy Award winners.

In fact, while there are certainly many sad events in the book, I think you'll spend more time smiling than feeling sad.

Enjoy this amazing book!