biss boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: PaperbackChange

on February 3, 2016
A must read classic
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 22, 2015
Some of the reviewers view this masterpiece as being a clear and historical view of the oppression felt by tens of thousands during this era. There can be no denial of this obvious fact. As this historical novel is read you not only see through the eyes of the author's characters but experience the smells, the sounds, and, most importantly, the emotional impact on the lives of the displaced sharecroppers. Other, less favorable, reviewers find this novel both depressing and very slow moving. With them I also agree for the life of the Joad's was neither joyful nor fast-paced and Steinbeck made certain that we experienced the mundaneness of their existence. My additional conclusion is that this tale can also be viewed as an allegorical of life of Universal Man. Yes, the events are magnified, the helplessness more keenly felt, the oppressors were even more foul and the Joad's life path was even more tragic, but, that being said, we are all like the Joad's and remain powerless against the slings and arrows that society throws at us. Like the Ma Joad, all we want is a peaceful end to our life story..........
on November 5, 2015
I bought this for my grandson. Having loved and read this book over many years, in my opinion it should have been named the most important novel of the 20th century. It has so much in it of family life, love, history, despair and hope. These people come alive for me, and it represents an important time in the history of North America, should be required reading.
on October 14, 2015
was a gift for my son, classic
on October 9, 2015
I mean come on, it's a classic for a reason.
on August 17, 2015
Wow, never in my life had I read such a book. At first, It took me a while to get into the story. But once I got used to the style, I could not put it down. I felt happy when the Joad's felt happy, revolted when they were taken advantage of. As we follow this family during the most uncertain times of their life, we can only wonder how it will all end. Truly, this book is a must in every sense of the word.
on July 10, 2015
a very good buy. I think in better condition than rated by seller
TOP 100 REVIEWERon April 27, 2015
This classic fell rather flat for me. Perhaps it was the dialogue which seemed more affected than real. The story itself is a rather meandering, atmospheric thing that isn't really headed anywhere. Instead, Steinbeck gives us a fully drawn imaginative picture of the Depression-era south. The same thing could have been accomplished in half the space in my opinion. To be fair, Steinbeck does paint a fairly unique and vivid portrait in these pages, so depending on your tastes you might be ready to take the full journey with him. I wasn't. I've enjoyed other Steinbeck novels, but not this one.
on April 23, 2015
This is an english as a second language edition, it says John Steinbeck but it is a rewriting and NOT the original text. So if that's the version you're looking for great, if you want to read it as it was intended do not get this.
on April 11, 2015
OMG - this copy - edited in England & nicely bound & printed in Spain. BUT - it's been ANGLICIZED! wold Steinbeck - or anyone - writing about Okies the horrors of the American thirties write the "tyre" or substitute the word "petrol" for gas? Are readers in England so stupid that they don't understand American terms and words? The book - as a physical object - is OK - but what an insult to a great American writer . . .