5.0 out of 5 stars Two Thumbs Up, Universally Great
Published on Jan. 6 2004 by Neal & Myriam Acoba

3.0 out of 5 stars Movie?
Maybe the movie is actually better than the book in this case. Read it. Made little impression. Perhaps I am not smart enough to understand the deeper meaning?
Published 13 months ago by B. Arthurs-jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Thumbs Up, Universally Great, Jan. 6 2004
This review is from: The Secret Life of Bees (Paperback)
My wife and I read books together and compare our opinions. As the unofficial secretary in our democratic household, I then try to encapsulate our combined opinions into one review. Like most couples, there are many things we don't agree on. When this occurs my wife attributes it to her being right and me being stupid. This is often the case with books - there will be a book I can't wait to discuss because I love it, only to discover my wife hates it. This is not always the case. There are many books that we agree upon as being good or enjoyable. However, there are very few that we agree upon as being universally great. In fact, our "great" list is limited to three in the past year (obviously not three in all time, that would be an indication of a marriage that is heavily on the rocks). SECRET LIFE OF BEES by SUE MONK KIDD (along with THE DA VINCI CODE and MY FRACTURED LIFE) is one of our three books we recommend as being universally great. If my wife and I can agree on it, then rest assured men and women of all ages and backgrounds will be able to relate and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, May 19 2005
Monica (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret Life of Bees (Paperback)
I have made it a point of reading inspirational books which can help me have a positive outlook to life. Though it reads like a non-fictional memoir, "The Secret Life of Bees" even though it is fictitious, has been tremendously helpful to me as an inspirational book. It is brilliantly written with amazing details and beautiful settings. It showed the unique creativity of the author. This hard to put down book, is sure to capture your heart with its imagery.
Sue Monk Kidd does a brilliant job of laying out a storyline that is not only believable, but is interesting as well. I could not put this book down. Lily Owens will capture your heart. Despite the abuse from the hands of her father T. Ray, she turned out to be a survivor. Sharing her destiny with the beekeeping sisters, and their Black Madonna honey, she finally attains some emotional security in her life. May, one of the sisters is someone who inspires. This is a novel for young adults and adults, because at 14, Lily fights with the hazy memory of her dead mother whom she misses and longs for in rural South Carolina of 1964, where racial violence is inescapable. She finds solace in her surrogate mother - the family's black servant, Rosaleen, who later becomes a victim of racial hatred. It moved on to the escape of Lily and Rosaleen, the search for the identity of Lily's mother's identity and the quest for a sense of belonging in her life This journey led Lily and Rosaleen into the lives of three strange but alluring beekeepers who set Lily who helped Lily to grow up and be at peace with her family and its history.
The story is told through Lily's eyes, mouth, mind and heart, and as such it is deep, hilarious and inspiring. When we read about the beehive and honey-making, we get the sense that Lily has a deep desire for nurturance, owing to the absence of a mother in her life. The Secret Life of Bees will certainly strike a chord with any family.Recommended stories are DISCIPLES OF FORTUNE,TALES OF BURNING LOVE, NO SECOND CHANCE, in the sense that they go to add to this rich theme.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book to read this season, Dec 29 2004
This review is from: The Secret Life of Bees (Paperback)
A motherless girl who sets off on her own to find a mother, it doesn't matter to Lily the color or age, and discovers herself and more than she was expecting. "In the photo by my bed my mother is perptually smiling on me. I guess I have forgiven us both, although sometimes in the night my dreams will take me back to the sadness, and I have to wake up and forgive us again." She is now fourteen and was only four when her mother tragically died in the heat of rage.
This story about maternal loss and betrayal, guilt and forgiveness, has a wisdom about life, entwined with the transforming power of love. Her harsh father had made her believe that she was responsible for the death of her mother. My older sister, Evelyn, felt guilty all her life about going to visit a neighbor after she'd awakened from a nap (while our mother was working in a garden), and the boy older than she woke to an empty house and accidentally was killed. Evelyn always thought that if she'd stayed, the accident would not have happened.
That haunting tragedy happened a few years before my birth so I know only Evelyn's childhood remembrance and how much she suffered for being just a little girl. It's possible that she was the same age as Lily when her mother was killed.
This being a fictional account, she could forgive her mother for leaving her alone, seeking for what was taken from her. She longs for and goes on a search to find the single thing her heart longs for. I, on the other hand, could not forgive -- or forget how very helpless a young girl feels as she struggles for some kind of closure to her grief. This is truly a forgiving story for the motherless child in all of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Secrets and Solutions, April 30 2014
This review is from: The Secret Life of Bees (Paperback)
A beautiful story beginning with an ugly lie - that the blame for the murder of a beautiful mother was wrongly attributed. This is the story of women supporting a child who needed them - and becoming mothers who, each in her own way, gives birth to friendship, justice and love. All of these women were busy bees making love happen. Wonderful story.

Eleanor Cowan, author of:A History of a Pedophile's Wife: Memoir of a Canadian Teacher and Writer

5.0 out of 5 stars A touching story, Jan. 8 2014
This review is from: The Secret Life of Bees (Paperback)

The story is told through Lily's eyes, mouth, mind and heart, and as such it is deep, hilarious and inspiring. When we read about the beehive and honey-making, we get the sense that Lily has a deep desire for nurturance, owing to the absence of a mother in her life. The Secret Life of Bees will certainly strike a chord with any family. It follows stories like Usurper and Other stories, tales of Burning Love; that I enjoyed, in the sense that they go to add to this rich theme.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous story, Oct. 8 2013
This story just makes me feel good. It demonstrates the strength of women, relationships,
the healing power of love and compassion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Movie?, June 21 2013
B. Arthurs-jones (Canada) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed about this one, Oct. 3 2012
This review is from: The Secret Life of Bees (Paperback)
This book was written well without a doubt and the characters memorable. But at times I found myself bored with the storyline as there seemed to be little within the pages to grab the readers interest other than random plot twists that were tossed in to move the book along when needed. I did manage to finish this book, but in my opinion it was nothing spectacular.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable, a Book Worth Buying!..., June 5 2005
This review is from: The Secret Life of Bees (Paperback)
The story is also reminiscent of Huck Finn, in that Lily takes her black nanny with her (breaking her out of jail) on this voyage of discovery. They both end up in the home of the "calendar" girls, May, July and August, who lost their sister, April. These women operate the Black Madonna honey company - being excellent beekeepers, not only shipping honey around the country, but lending out their bees as crop pollinators in the neighborhood.
The personalities in this story are a hoot.
August, the queen bee, guides Lily through the art of beekeeping, the love of their Mary in Chains, the rosary, and all sorts of family traditions, including a "Negro" funeral. August knows exactly who she is, but can't believe Lily is come to stay with them. She doesn't reveal what she knows until the appropriate time.
Each chapter (14 in all) begins with an epigraph about the care, feeding and life of bees. The major hint here is that the epigraph relates exactly with the subject of the chapter. Life, death, love, family, work, play.
This is a short read if you stick with it, and the life in South Carolina is HOT and sticky. You can feel it in the honey house, the bedroom, and the kitchen. Bees figure centrally, as does Lily's first crush - even on a black young man.
The only problem with this is that Lily has so much self-revelation at 14. At 14, I couldn't figure out anything, much less some of these eternal truths. Perhaps this is supposed to be a "looking back" kind of book. The author says it is in no way related to her real life. But , anyway, try it for yourself! Pick up a copy! Another book I need to recommend -- completely unrelated to the south, but very much on my mind since I purchased a "used" copy off Amazon is "The Losers' Club: Complete Restored Edition" by Richard Perez, an exceptional, highly entertaining little novel I can't stop thinking about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Decade's "Color Purple", March 23 2005
This review is from: The Secret Life of Bees (Paperback)
Everyone feels the need to compare books to what we've already read. I don't know if that is fair, an insult, or a compliment. It is what we all do though. If the comparisons to yesteryear are to be believed and "My Fractured Life" (Rikki Lee Travolta) is being considered this decade's "Catcher in the Rye" (JD Salinger) - a point I actually don't take issue with - then "Secret Life of Bees" (Sue Monk Kidd) should just as equally be considered this decade's "Color Purple" (Alice Walker). It is a coming of age story of a young girl who learns what it is to be a woman and what it is to be black (although in this case as a white girl in the care of blacks she is learning from the outside as opposed to in the Color Purple where it was a black girl learning herself). Like "My Fractured Life" and "Life of Pi", whether we call it our decades "Color Purple" or anything else, "Secret Life of Bees" is surely one our decade's classics.

The Secret Life of Bees
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (Paperback - Jan. 28 2003)
CDN$ 17.00 CDN$ 12.27