4.0 out of 5 stars I love these maps
This book is full of wonderful and interesting maps, and I've learned quite a bit by reading it. The only drawback is that a few of stories are a little dry, and so I've skimmed past a few of them. Overall though, I'm really happy with this book and would recommend it to any cartophile.
Published on Dec 6 2010 by hipplor

2.0 out of 5 stars Part of the blame for my dissapointment must rest on me
Part of the blame for my dissapointment must rest on me. I should have tried to find out exactly what was "Strange Maps". I presumed the book would cover the history of mapmaking, from those early and unreliable cartographers papers to modern satellite photographs.

Published 17 months ago by Marc Ranger

2.0 out of 5 stars Part of the blame for my dissapointment must rest on me, March 12 2013
Marc Ranger "Baseball fan" (québec, canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Strange Maps: An Atlas of Cartographic Curiosities (Paperback)

Instead, what I got was a mix of all kinds of maps, many of them of no use whatsoever. I always read every book I buy from cover to cover, but "Strange Maps" made me skip about 40 of 225 pages. I however found some interesting maps, such as the Napoleon Bonaparte Russia campaign map, the Antipode map or the "Enclave" map. Also 2 maps about former States or States that existed very briefly was a nice and informative surprise. The map of the "World Subway System" was intriguing, but poorly draw with numerous geographical errors.

If you are curious about any, I mean any kind of map, useful or not, interesting or not, this is a book for you. But if, like me, you want to read it to better your understanding of mapmaking, buy something else.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love these maps, Dec 6 2010

Strange Maps: An Atlas of Cartographic Curiosities
Strange Maps: An Atlas of Cartographic Curiosities by Frank Jacobs (Paperback - Nov. 3 2009)
CDN$ 37.50 CDN$ 23.51