Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store NFL Tools

Strange Maps: An Atlas of Cartographic Curiosities
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$28.13+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 6, 2010
This book is full of wonderful and interesting maps, and I've learned quite a bit by reading it. The only drawback is that a few of stories are a little dry, and so I've skimmed past a few of them. Overall though, I'm really happy with this book and would recommend it to any cartophile.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on March 12, 2013
Part of the blame for my dissapointment must rest on me. I should have tried to find out exactly what was "Strange Maps". I presumed the book would cover the history of mapmaking, from those early and unreliable cartographers papers to modern satellite photographs.

Instead, what I got was a mix of all kinds of maps, many of them of no use whatsoever. I always read every book I buy from cover to cover, but "Strange Maps" made me skip about 40 of 225 pages. I however found some interesting maps, such as the Napoleon Bonaparte Russia campaign map, the Antipode map or the "Enclave" map. Also 2 maps about former States or States that existed very briefly was a nice and informative surprise. The map of the "World Subway System" was intriguing, but poorly draw with numerous geographical errors.

If you are curious about any, I mean any kind of map, useful or not, interesting or not, this is a book for you. But if, like me, you want to read it to better your understanding of mapmaking, buy something else.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again