5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
Published on Aug. 24 2007 by TeensReadToo

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed
Read this after The Fault in Our Stars. Felt it was a bit simplistic and superficial. Interesting characters, but not enough depth for me to fully appreciate and enjoy.
Published 2 months ago by disappointed

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, Aug. 24 2007
This review is from: Looking for Alaska (Paperback)
Miles Halter is the type of high-schooler who always faded into the background at his public school in Florida. He had few friends, by choice as much as by fate, and wanted only to study his passion--memorizing the last words of people who had died. After reading the dying words of poet Francois Rabelais, "I go to seek a Great Perhaps", Miles is convinced that there's more to life than what he's so far experienced.

So Miles sets off to spend his junior and senior years at Culver Creek, a private boarding school in Alabama. There he gains his first nickname "Pudge" (a misnomer, by far, since Miles is quite skinny); meets his first love, Alaska Young; has his first sexual encounter with a Romanian girl named Lara; and gains two great male friends, Chip "The Colonel" Martin and Takumi Hikohito. He also experiences the joys and sickness of getting drunk, the strangeness of smoking cigarettes, and the unadulterated pleasure of playing pranks.

Pudge's new group of friends have their own quirks--The Colonel memorizes countries, capitals, and populations; Alaska collects books for her Life's Library that she hasn't yet read; Takumi relishes being The Fox. They all work together to irritate their teachers, avoid confrontation with The Eagle, the school's dean, and pull off pranks against the rich Weekday Warriors that are the popular clique at Culver Creek.

But LOOKING FOR ALASKA is mostly the story of growing up, of falling in love, of dealing with loss, and getting through life as best that you can. With wonderful dialogue, fascinating prose, and characters that are so real you'll think you know them personally, this is a book well worth reading. Not just is it the story of a group of teenagers looking to find their way out of the labyrinth of loss, or just the story of finding our Great Perhaps, LOOKING FOR ALASKA is about living the best life that can be led.

I loved this story, and highly recommend it. Once you do, you'll realize it's no surprise that it won the Teen's Top 10 Award and the Michael J. Printz Award--in fact, it probably deserves more.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Wardrip, aka "The Genius"

5.0 out of 5 stars An award winning read for teens and adults., July 14 2006
shelley ps (canadian in america) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Looking For Alaska (Hardcover)
I purchased "Looking for Alaska" on the recommendation of the staff of my local bookstore, after an exhausting search for a quality book for my teen son. My son enjoyed it immensely, barely putting it down. My daughter devoured it next and I was stealing it from her when she was doing other things. Yes! The book is that good!

John Green has written a stunningly insightful novel whose characters are real, and situations are familiar to many teens, as is evidenced by the fan mail to his website.

I could rave on and on about what a good book this is, but I won't. The book won the Michael L. Printz Award, and has been nominated for other awards.

Just order it. For a guy or a girl, or yourself order it!

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, Feb. 11 2014
This review is from: Looking for Alaska (Paperback)
when i received this it was in perfect shape! i couldnt even tell if someone had read it or not!

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, Jan. 25 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, Dec 5 2013
This review is from: Looking for Alaska (Paperback)
Wow, I have never read a book like this... It was great and sad and funny and really made me think

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, Sept. 12 2013
This review is from: Looking for Alaska (Paperback)
Was too excited for the book, could care less about state it was in for price!
Delivery came right on day expected.
Quality of book: the inside seemed untouched for a used book. The cover wasn't in best shape though, a lot of scratches and bends but other than that I would order again!

4.0 out of 5 stars I love John Green, just not my favorite of his books, July 8 2013
Allison Allain (Edmonton, Alberta) - See all my reviews
Originally published [...]
Miles “Pudge” Halter is obsessed with reading biographies and especially collecting the final words of famous people. When the opportunity to attend his father’s alma matter boarding school he decides to seek out the Great Perhaps (a la words of the poet Francois Rabelais) His normally very safe life suddenly becomes very different at Culver Creek Boarding School because just down the hall lives Alaska Young. In this new world he has friends and adventures, but that was all before. In the after nothing is the same.

This is the first book that John Green published, and it’s the second of his books that I have read. Going into this book I knew that most reviews that I have read have been glowing, so I was excited to get started.

The only other book of John Green’s that I have read is The Fault in Our Stars I knew from that book that I love his writing style, and based on writing style Looking for Alaska did not disappoint. John Green has an amazing gift of writing. Throughout this book I found so many passages that I highlighted because they were just so beautiful. So many amazing quotations that make you want to stop and write them down. This book is divided into two parts (Before and After) and each chapter in the Before section starts with a countdown to the After section. This made me want to read the book very quickly because I had to find out what was going to happen. As I got closer to the after section I could feel what was going to happen, and when I reached the section portion I wasn’t surprised at all.

I liked the story, don’t get me wrong I thought the book was good, but when I was done I tried to figure out what everyone else was raving about. I think the problem for me was that I didn’t relate to the characters. I felt that they were believable, but I didn’t care about them as much as I felt I should have. People talk about being upset and crying when they finish the book. I didn’t have any of those emotions; I guess it was because I wasn’t invested in the characters enough. I also thought the “puzzle” of the After section was so obvious I didn’t understand why it took them so long to put the pieces together.

All in all I thought it was ok definitely not The Fault in our Stars, but I know that I definitely still like John Green’s writing style and I will read the rest of his stuff. I would rate this book 3.5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous book, April 7 2013
This review is from: Looking for Alaska (Paperback)
This book is just heart wrenchingly beautiful. John Green is an amazing personality I've been following on YouTube, and this is the first of his books I've read. He's brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, March 21 2013
This review is from: Looking for Alaska (Paperback)
Still my favorite book two years after discovering it. A must read for anyone between the ages of 15-26 of any gender.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my Favourites, Feb. 9 2013
This review is from: Looking for Alaska (Paperback)
I first read this book back in 2007 and absolutely loved it. Since then i have reread it at least a dozen times, it seems to just get better and better. I recommend this book to anyone looking for a book that will stay with you for many years.

ARRAY(0xb1259ba0)

Looking for Alaska
Looking for Alaska by John Green (Paperback - Jan. 2 2007)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89