5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
Published on Aug. 24 2007 by TeensReadToo

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy read - for someone in search for the great perhaps.
Published 4 months ago by Tracey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, Aug. 24 2007
This review is from: Looking for Alaska (Paperback)
Miles Halter is the type of high-schooler who always faded into the background at his public school in Florida. He had few friends, by choice as much as by fate, and wanted only to study his passion--memorizing the last words of people who had died. After reading the dying words of poet Francois Rabelais, "I go to seek a Great Perhaps", Miles is convinced that there's more to life than what he's so far experienced.

So Miles sets off to spend his junior and senior years at Culver Creek, a private boarding school in Alabama. There he gains his first nickname "Pudge" (a misnomer, by far, since Miles is quite skinny); meets his first love, Alaska Young; has his first sexual encounter with a Romanian girl named Lara; and gains two great male friends, Chip "The Colonel" Martin and Takumi Hikohito. He also experiences the joys and sickness of getting drunk, the strangeness of smoking cigarettes, and the unadulterated pleasure of playing pranks.

Pudge's new group of friends have their own quirks--The Colonel memorizes countries, capitals, and populations; Alaska collects books for her Life's Library that she hasn't yet read; Takumi relishes being The Fox. They all work together to irritate their teachers, avoid confrontation with The Eagle, the school's dean, and pull off pranks against the rich Weekday Warriors that are the popular clique at Culver Creek.

But LOOKING FOR ALASKA is mostly the story of growing up, of falling in love, of dealing with loss, and getting through life as best that you can. With wonderful dialogue, fascinating prose, and characters that are so real you'll think you know them personally, this is a book well worth reading. Not just is it the story of a group of teenagers looking to find their way out of the labyrinth of loss, or just the story of finding our Great Perhaps, LOOKING FOR ALASKA is about living the best life that can be led.

I loved this story, and highly recommend it. Once you do, you'll realize it's no surprise that it won the Teen's Top 10 Award and the Michael J. Printz Award--in fact, it probably deserves more.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Wardrip, aka "The Genius"

5.0 out of 5 stars An award winning read for teens and adults., July 14 2006
shelley ps (canadian in america) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Looking For Alaska (Hardcover)
I purchased "Looking for Alaska" on the recommendation of the staff of my local bookstore, after an exhausting search for a quality book for my teen son. My son enjoyed it immensely, barely putting it down. My daughter devoured it next and I was stealing it from her when she was doing other things. Yes! The book is that good!

John Green has written a stunningly insightful novel whose characters are real, and situations are familiar to many teens, as is evidenced by the fan mail to his website.

I could rave on and on about what a good book this is, but I won't. The book won the Michael L. Printz Award, and has been nominated for other awards.

Just order it. For a guy or a girl, or yourself order it!

5.0 out of 5 stars John Green's only good book that I've read, Aug. 6 2014
Well I bought this book a long time ago and thought I might as well right a review. It has become one of my favourite books. If you liked Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher you will like this one. Gripping and full of laughs and tears. Way better than the Fault in our Stars. Don't buy that one. This one is really good!

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy read - for someone in search for the great perhaps., May 17 2014
This review is from: Looking for Alaska (Paperback)
This is an easy read. A well-written teen fiction book. Decided to read this book as I loved another book he had written. Loved it! Just like i expected. John Green is talented, and even though i don't like this book as much as i love his "The Fault in Our Stars", it was still wonderful book. I like his writing style and he allows us to feel like we are getting to know the characters; good character development in his stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you already like John Green you'll like this, May 16 2014
This review is from: Looking for Alaska (Paperback)
Similar style of writing to his other novels. Teen angst and woes mixed with an intelligence people often forget teenagers do possess. Would recommend if you already like his style of writing. Probably my second favourite after TFIOS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Novel. Finished it in a few hours, July 15 2014
This review is from: Looking for Alaska (Paperback)
Fantastic Novel. Finished it in a few hours. Honestly, worth every penny spent. Couldn't take my eyes off the pages.

Shipping was insanely quick, and in great condition

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, June 1 2014
This review is from: Looking for Alaska (Paperback)
I've read several of John Green's books and I was not let down, this is one of my favorite reads by him. I would also recommend Paper Town by John Green if you are interested in reading more by him.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, Feb. 11 2014
This review is from: Looking for Alaska (Paperback)
when i received this it was in perfect shape! i couldnt even tell if someone had read it or not!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, Dec 5 2013
This review is from: Looking for Alaska (Paperback)
Wow, I have never read a book like this... It was great and sad and funny and really made me think

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, Sept. 12 2013
This review is from: Looking for Alaska (Paperback)
Was too excited for the book, could care less about state it was in for price!
Delivery came right on day expected.
Quality of book: the inside seemed untouched for a used book. The cover wasn't in best shape though, a lot of scratches and bends but other than that I would order again!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Looking for Alaska
Looking for Alaska by John Green (Paperback - Jan. 2 2007)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89