Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Kitchen SmartSaver Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-10 of 28 reviews(5 star).Show all reviews
on August 24, 2007
Miles Halter is the type of high-schooler who always faded into the background at his public school in Florida. He had few friends, by choice as much as by fate, and wanted only to study his passion--memorizing the last words of people who had died. After reading the dying words of poet Francois Rabelais, "I go to seek a Great Perhaps", Miles is convinced that there's more to life than what he's so far experienced.

So Miles sets off to spend his junior and senior years at Culver Creek, a private boarding school in Alabama. There he gains his first nickname "Pudge" (a misnomer, by far, since Miles is quite skinny); meets his first love, Alaska Young; has his first sexual encounter with a Romanian girl named Lara; and gains two great male friends, Chip "The Colonel" Martin and Takumi Hikohito. He also experiences the joys and sickness of getting drunk, the strangeness of smoking cigarettes, and the unadulterated pleasure of playing pranks.

Pudge's new group of friends have their own quirks--The Colonel memorizes countries, capitals, and populations; Alaska collects books for her Life's Library that she hasn't yet read; Takumi relishes being The Fox. They all work together to irritate their teachers, avoid confrontation with The Eagle, the school's dean, and pull off pranks against the rich Weekday Warriors that are the popular clique at Culver Creek.

But LOOKING FOR ALASKA is mostly the story of growing up, of falling in love, of dealing with loss, and getting through life as best that you can. With wonderful dialogue, fascinating prose, and characters that are so real you'll think you know them personally, this is a book well worth reading. Not just is it the story of a group of teenagers looking to find their way out of the labyrinth of loss, or just the story of finding our Great Perhaps, LOOKING FOR ALASKA is about living the best life that can be led.

I loved this story, and highly recommend it. Once you do, you'll realize it's no surprise that it won the Teen's Top 10 Award and the Michael J. Printz Award--in fact, it probably deserves more.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Wardrip, aka "The Genius"
on April 23, 2015
Miles is in search of The Great Perhaps. (Aren't we all?) He ends up meeting a beautifully troubled Alaska. A darkly fascinating girl he so badly wants to get tangled up in. She is endlessly fascinating, while his only gimmick is his ability to recall famous last words.

This book drove me crazy and broke my heart. Definitely my favourite book by the always amazing John Green.
on July 14, 2006
I purchased "Looking for Alaska" on the recommendation of the staff of my local bookstore, after an exhausting search for a quality book for my teen son. My son enjoyed it immensely, barely putting it down. My daughter devoured it next and I was stealing it from her when she was doing other things. Yes! The book is that good!

John Green has written a stunningly insightful novel whose characters are real, and situations are familiar to many teens, as is evidenced by the fan mail to his website.

I could rave on and on about what a good book this is, but I won't. The book won the Michael L. Printz Award, and has been nominated for other awards.

Just order it. For a guy or a girl, or yourself order it!
on August 6, 2014
Well I bought this book a long time ago and thought I might as well right a review. It has become one of my favourite books. If you liked Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher you will like this one. Gripping and full of laughs and tears. Way better than the Fault in our Stars. Don't buy that one. This one is really good!
on October 22, 2014
I did not order this off of Amazon. However, I didn't get the chance to leave a review anywhere else. Looking for Alaska is my favourite book of all time. It was the first book of John Green's I read. I've read Paper Towns and The Fault in Our Stars. Neither were nearly as good as Looking for Alaska. I hope that they DON'T make a movie based on this novel because I feel like the movie would never do it justice.
on January 25, 2015
I absolutely loved this book! In the beginning, I though that it was going to be a cheesy book about love but it turned out to be nothing like that! The major event was unexpected and I absolutely love the characters of this novel especially the mystery of Alaska. Moreover, I recommend this book to teens and young adults who enjoy a book with deep meaning that you can't help but connect with.
on July 15, 2014
Fantastic Novel. Finished it in a few hours. Honestly, worth every penny spent. Couldn't take my eyes off the pages.

Shipping was insanely quick, and in great condition
on June 1, 2014
I've read several of John Green's books and I was not let down, this is one of my favorite reads by him. I would also recommend Paper Town by John Green if you are interested in reading more by him.
on February 11, 2014
when i received this it was in perfect shape! i couldnt even tell if someone had read it or not!
on December 5, 2013
Wow, I have never read a book like this... It was great and sad and funny and really made me think