Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

• Speak

Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on February 23, 2003
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson is about a girl named Melinda Sordino. She is loathed by her old friends because she called the cops on an end-of-summer party. She thinks the best place is to be alone, inside her head. But something is still haunting her there in her head and Mel is too scared to tell anyone what is wrong.
Although this sounded like an interesting book it moved slowly and could be confusing because of the constant reference to a person Mel referrers to as IT. For example when it says: "I see IT in the hallway. It goes to Merryweather IT walking with Aubrey Cheerleader. IT is my nightmare and I can't wake up." This is one part where it is confusing because you can see she is talking about a person but it sort of confuses you.
However this book is also good because it talks about peer pressure and what kids might do when there scared. It also talks about how friends are important and need to be there for a friend through thick and thin. For example Mel tries many times to tell her old friends something important. However they did not listen, but if they had things mite have been different for Mel's school year, this shows that friends really are important.
This book would most likely be most enjoyed by girls who are in the grades 6thgrade through 9th grade. Also with people who enjoy reading about peoples lives and who enjoy getting inside peoples head and of people who have a some what high reading ability.
on November 7, 2002
Perhaps I entered this book from the wrong state of mind, just finishing the Perks of Being a Wallflower and being a fan of the Catcher in the Rye, but I thought it was grossly over-rated. The Supposedly "realistic" voice of the adolescent character doesn't speak true to the age, but reflects the familiar sitcom or saved by the bell influenced teenage voice. The blatent stereotypes and unrealistic events in this book make me question wheather Laurie Halse Anderson went to high school at all. Needless to say, I did not care for the novel. Perhaps I missed something, or maybe, being a highschool student, I am too stupid to realize my own environment. So, If you want to read a book acurately depicting adolescent behavior, may I sugest such classics as A Seperate Peace or The Catcher in the Rye, if you prefer contemporary, I also was very impressed with The Perks of Being a Wallflower. If you enjoyed "Speak" you may want to look into similar books...I hear Mary-Kate and Ashley Olson have their own series.
on September 23, 2002
I don't know what all this fuss is about. I read this book a while ago, and it's not that I didn't like it, but I didn't love it either. The language is kind of boring, it's not a 'read it in a day or else' book, you are not curious about the end or the twists that might happen... and so on. It's about a girl who goes through a frightening experience and loses her self confidence. I'm not saying I don't feel symphathy; it's just that there are many books out there that are worth reading and worth 5 stars other than this one. Don't waste this time unless you have no books to read other than this one. Or you LOOOVE stories with troubled teens. In that case, I would recommend Robert Cormier; not this one.
on October 27, 2001
I can honestly say i didn't like this book. The story went on for ever, even thouggh it was only 200 pages. It was boring and the characters were un-exciting. The story-line could have been so much better if the author told her secrete in the beginning instead of the very end. The idea of this girl going on and on and on about her problem and not even telling us what it is.Maybe if she said it at the beginning i wouldn't hate the charcter so much. She just sat there and let her stupid friends make fun of her and everything. If your into low-self esteem and un-exciting characters this book is for you. but if your like me and like those tough, strong and cool characters I don't recomend this book.
on February 10, 2003
The writing in this book is good. I find Laurie Halse Anderson's style very readable. However, I had guessed the big secret before the third chapter, so for the rest of the book I found myself just sort of waiting for the resolution. I felt that the resolution, when it came, was good.
on June 10, 2004
although speak was written with the best intentions of portraying a lost confused teen, the way anderson writes makes the book too predictable. if your an avid reader you know whats going to happen before you turn the next page.