5.0 out of 5 stars Wow.
Okay, I admit, this book was sitting on my nightstand for a while. I had no interest in reading it because it took place in a different time zone with no Morgan or Hunter.
Published on May 28 2004 by Kt

3.0 out of 5 stars So-So
Published on Nov. 16 2003 by Hannah

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow., May 28 2004
Well, turns out this book was absolutly amazing. It goes back to the orgins of the dark wave, and when Rose is performing it, you feel like you're in the book. It's so intense. When she cant get Diarmuid (or however the heck you spell his name) back, you want to reach out and help her.
Sorry if this review is a bit off, it's been a while since I read it.

3.0 out of 5 stars So-So, Nov. 16 2003
Not the best, but not as bad as some of them. Hunter "confesses" to Morgan that he kissed Justine - even though she kissed him and spelled the kiss. There were just a few thinks I felt were a bit off. For example, I did like Rose McEwan, she was an interesting character, but I felt that she resembled Morgan to much and also, did anyone else notice how similar Diarmuid was to Cal? Coincidence or just running Cate running out of ideas for different characters? Also, if Diarmuid was Rose's soulmate why did she need to spell him with the rose quartz in order to get his attention and why did he seem to lose interest in her after the spell was undone? Again, an interesting coincidence you might say. Also, I felt that Rose resorted to dark magick a bit to much (Morgan is the same way) - if I'd been in the same position she was in at the end of the book, I wouldn't have created a dark wave - I would have used my magick in less harmful ways to free myself. If she's really as powerful as that, then why didn't she do a simple forget spell so no one would remember she was a witch apart from her coven? I know she was in a dire situation, but I just thought that there were other ways she could've dealt with it magickally. There was no need to wipe out a whole village.

4.0 out of 5 stars Historical Filler, Oct. 22 2003
Joshua Koppel (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Another book in the series not from Morgan's viewpoint. There are a brief prologue and epilogue that has Morgan and Hunter, but the rest of the book is told from the viewpoint of Rose MacEwan, an ancestor of Morgan's who lived during the Burning Times (the Spanish Inquisition).
Hunter is back and he has brought back a book chronicling the life of Rose MacEwan, a woman who first created the Black Wave. Hunter and Morgan read it.
Rose is a young woman (Morgan's age) who falls in love with a member of another witch tribe. Her mother is the High Priestess of their coven but does not seem to trust Rose. Love, witchcraft, passion, trust and betrayal all lead to shaping Rose's life.
As Rose has to deal with her personal trials, the anti-Wodebayne sentiments are on the rise.
Rose's story culminates with her creating the Black Wave spell (although it seemed pretty simple for a spell so powerful). As the story closes, Morgan wonders at the parallels between her life and Rose's and what it might mean for her future.
A nice piece of history, but a little out of synch with the rest of the series and its linear progression. I also missed the journal entries that previously started each chapter (they are absent in this volume). I would have liked to have seen something from Rose's mother's viewpoint or even Diarmuid's.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOw, June 13 2002
Amanda (Tampa, Fl United States) - See all my reviews
I have read ever single book from 1-12 and let me tell u there amazing.For those of u who think that the 12th book actually only comes out in July your wrong.Go to you local [store]they will surely have it.# 11 was okay it was hard to read about Rose and how everyone decived her.Even her own mother.And her wanna be boyfriend she should have never gotten pregnat in the first place.I mean i know there weren't codoms but hello Contraception SPELL it's not that hard.But in 12 it's much better.Everyone is getting siocker and sicker.Cairin returns to ask morgan to joing him which she obviously quickly refuses.then theres a dark wave comming and everyone is sick.Then Alisa turns out to be half-witch (her mother having stropped herself of her powers y? i dont know) Alisa actually turns out to save everyone and then boom thats the end of the book look out for # 13 in July or August.But probably [local store]will have it in July. Oh and for another question.When in the hell are Morgan and Hunter gonna get their freak on i mean come on dont keep the suspense there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Series is starting to get better again, May 30 2002
~*~Erin~*~ (South Jersey.......Near a Coal Mine (lol, i didnt even know SNJ had coal mines until I saw this movie)) - See all my reviews
I didn't really like this book because it didnt have Morgan and Hunter in it, except for a few pages in the beginning and the end. One thing that I think was wierd was that Morgan forgave Hunter to easily after he told her he kissed Justine. And, a thing that I think was totally unrealistic was that right after her boyfriend came back from Canada, and right after a five minute conversation, and a confession that he kissed another person, she decided to read a diary that he found in Justine's library.
This book told from one of Morgan's ancestors (Rose MacEwan) point of view. Rose lived in the late 1600's in Scotland during the Burning Times. She, and her coven (who live in a Christian village) have to keep a low key on when they have circles, and stuff. Then one day, while in the forest, Rose meets her soulmate, Diarmuid. For the next couple of months, they meet in secret. Then they decide to go all the way, and Rose gets pregnant. Then Diarmuid tells her that he can't see her anymore, and that they could never get married. Then Rose finds out that he was engaged to another person all along. So, desprate to get revenge, Rose uses dark magick to get back at Diarmuid's fiancee. Then she is tried for a witch. But she is never exucuted because in her rage, she destroys an entire village, and then is choosed to lead an evil group o Woodbaynes.

5.0 out of 5 stars REALLY GREAT!, May 22 2002
Kari (USA all the way!) - See all my reviews
In this one of the sweep series, HUnter brings back the BOS from the lady who he had a assiment for. Its really one of Morgans assestors Rose. So they both start to read it at once.
Rose lives in the 1600s when witchs were burned at the stake. Shes woodbayne, and better yet her mother is te high priestce in her coven. Rose falls in love and gets pregnat, only to find out it would never work because of his clan. So another woman gets in the way. Anyway how it turns out is that that woman acusses her of a witch, she gets inprisioned, escapes, puts a spell on the one clan (which works, all of the members die in a fire) her mother diowns her, and she becomes the high pristice taking her mother's place, then starts the DARK WAVE. Morgan thinks her love might destroy her and Hunter both, but Hunter knows and loves her to much to let that happen.
I personally likes this book. It was better than the last. I like it wen its in Morgan;s point of view, i hope the next one is just as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Legacy, May 11 2002
Hunter found Rose MacEwan's diary up in Canada. Within it contains the origins of the Dark Wave.
Rose is seventeen in the year 1682. Her mother is the High Priestess of her coven. They live in a town of Christians. Witch-fearing Christians who persecute witches.
Rose's coven fears bieng persecuted not only by the Christians but by the other six clans. All of them express their hatred toward the Woodbanes through bigotry.
While doing a spell in the woods, Rose meets Diarmuid. Her soul mate. Her muirn beatha dan. She loves him with all of her heart...and he is a Leapvaughn. That type of relationship between clans is forbidden. Diarmuid and Rose both know that their covens will not consent their marriage.
But their love on Beltane created something that will forever tie them together. A child. But in the end will Rose and Diarmuid be together? Or will something rip them apart that not even their love can save? And what of the Dark Wave that Rose is said to have created? Why did she create something so destructive?
Oh, i CRIED when i read this book. Really sad. And i can understand why Rose created the Dark Wave.
)))))~~)O(Aurora)O(~~(((((

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended to Parents who can�t get their daughters to read, June 14 2004
I purchased the Sweep series for my 13 year old daughter in the hopes that maybe she would read. "She hated to read." Well I was amazed, and could not get her to go to sleep, as she would spend the whole night, with a night-light on reading these books. She enjoyed them so much, and could not stop talking first about Cal and then Hunter, that I had to see what all the fuss was about.
Well after two weeks, a book a day, for a girl who hated to read, it sparked my curiosity, so I started reading, and was surprised to find out how enjoyable a Teen book about Teen Witches could be. I am not really into Wicca, but these books are really enjoyable. I am on my fifth book, and my daughter read each twice, and is know on the Circle of Three Series. I have to highly recommend these books to those parents who can not get their daughters to read. These are excellent stories, full of fantasy, horror, and fun.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweep 11: Origins. Oooohhh, dark., June 29 2002
Aleisha (Lake Mary, FL United States) - See all my reviews
Hunter has come back from Canada with his da and Rose McEwan's diary in tow. After telling Morgan EVERYTHING they decide to read it together.
The story is all about Rose McEwan and how she met Diarmuid, the boy she thought was her soulmate, and fell in love. And it goes through their trials to stay together despite the fact that their realtionship is forbidden because he is Leapvaughn and she is Woodbane. And it also tells of Diarmuid's betrayal of Rose. In the end Rose creates the spell for the dark wave to kill off Diarmuid and his skanky girlfriend.
All I could think throughout this story was GO ROSE! I soo understood why she did what she did, even though it was soo wrong. I felt so bad for her and Diarmuid was such a creep, his girlfriend was too.
I didn't like this book as much as the others. It was sorta slow moving and didn't have much of Morgan and Hunter in it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings..., April 13 2003
"ellie_sugarplum" (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
I have mixed feelings about this series, but I'd say that overall I enjoy it. This book in particular, I thought was well strung together and Cate Tiernan seems to have a thorough knowledge of Wiccan history! When I first found out that the whole book was a diary of a totally different witch I thought "oh crap, how am I meant to get throgh this boring part?" but it proved me wrong. At times , though, I desperately wanted to scream at the characters and shake some sense into them - but that's a good thing right? Because it shows the reader is interacting with the characters.
The ending, I thought, was very gripping and left me in a bit of a daze - and still reading at 2am!
This series and changed my view on a lot of things, including my views on nature and the spiritual side... if one exists...?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Origins: Book Eleven
Origins: Book Eleven by Cate Tiernan (Paperback - Sept. 23 2008)
CDN$ 9.00