5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
Published on Feb. 23 2007 by TeensReadToo.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite John Green
I've read most if not all of John Green's book but this wasn't my favourite. The plot seemed somewhat random and without a clear direction. The characters were well developed and interesting and there were certainly some funny bits. However, other than the the main character (Colin) getting over his previous girlfriend, it didn't seem to have truly reached a conclusion.
Published 2 months ago by Jilly the Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, Feb. 23 2007
If you had the opportunity to devise a theorem that could correctly predict the outcome of a romantic relationship, would you do it? If it worked, would you use it? Can it even be done? This is the problem plaguing Colin Singleton, recent high school graduate, nearly former child prodigy, hopeful genius. Colin, you see, has a significant problem. He falls in love quite easily, which in and of itself isn't such a bad thing. The fact that all of his loves, nineteen of them to be exact, have been named Katherine can even be explained away by some form of twisted scientific method. What can't be explained, though, is why Colin has been dumped by all nineteen of those Katherines.

When he's dumped by the love of his life, Katherine XIX, he finds himself in a bad place. He can no longer call himself a child prodigy, since he's graduated from high school. He's not a genius, because he's never come up with anything that will change the world. There's an empty place inside of him where his latest Katherine's love used to live, and he doesn't know what to do with himself. Until Hassan Harbish (Muslim, but not a terrorist) devises a way to get Colin out of his funk--a road trip. With no destination in mind, the two set off in The Hearse, Colin's car, and go where the road leads them.

Where it leads them is a small town called Gutshot, Tennessee, where Colin gets the urge to see the supposed grave of Archduke Franz Ferdinand. It's also where the two meet Lindsey Lee Wells and her mother, Hollis. Not to mention where they get to live in a giant Pepto Bismol-pink house on a hill, interview employees of a factory that makes tampon strings, and eat Monster Thickburgers at the local Hardee's.

It's also the place where Colin decides to finish the Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability. Assign numerical value to different variables, plot it on a graph, and you'll be able to predict how long a relationship will last--and who will be the dumper, and who will be the dumpee. Except Colin forgot some pertinent information, like chance, and distorted memories, and the fact that love is never predictable. As Colin and Hassan learn a few things about life in the small town of Gutshot, we get to follow their journey of learning to grow up, to make a name for yourself, and how to matter as a person.

I loved AN ABUNDANCE OF KATHERINES, even more than Mr. Green's previous book, LOOKING FOR ALASKA. That book won the prestigious Michael L. Printz award, and I won't be surprised if this book is nominated, as well. This story is funny, poignant, and informative. For example, if I hadn't read AN ABUNDANCE OF KATHERINES I would never have known that:

1) Fetor hepaticus is a symptom of late-stage liver failure where your breath literally smells like a rotting corpse.

2) The junior senator from New Hampshire in 1873 was Bainbridge Wadleigh.

3) There is absolutely no scientific proof that drinking eight glasses of water a day will improve your health.

4) Dingleberries can be anagrammed into see inbred girl; lie breeds grin; leering debris; greed be nil, sir; be idle re. rings; ringside rebel; and residing rebel.

5) Nikola Tesla did a lot for electricity before Thomas Edison came along and stole some of his ideas, and he also loved pigeons.

6) I still suck at math.

Order this book today. It's great, you'll love it, and you'll actually learn stuff. Three for the price of one!

Reviewed by: Jennifer Wardrip, aka "The Genius"

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, March 6 2013
Valerie Christie (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Abundance of Katherines (Paperback)
What a great read. This book had many Laugh out Loud moments for me. Colin and Hassan are such a wonderful pair. I loved every character in this book and will definately be recommending it to my bookie friends. I didn't want the story to end, so i continued on reading the first few chapters of The Fault in Our Stars at the end of the book and damnit now im going to have to re-read that book! (which by the way is my "go-to" book when anyone asks me what they should read next)

4.0 out of 5 stars My First John Green Book, May 16 2012
This is my first John Green book. I was recommended not to read this one first, but I read it anyway (and still want to read more of his books). I thought the characters were very well developed, and the hints of trivia just added to the fun. I'm excited to read more.

This book contains mentions of drinking, swearing and sexuality. It's most appropriate for those in high school, recent graduates, and older.

4.0 out of 5 stars Such a unique story!, June 15 2014
This review is from: An Abundance of Katherines (Paperback)
This is another great John Green book. The plot line of this was just so unique, I have never been more interested. The book was slow at first, but things did pick up and I couldn't put it down! The originality of the story line is great, and I definitely recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite John Green, June 12 2014
Jilly the Reader (Wasaga Beach, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars great!, Feb. 25 2014
This review is from: An Abundance of Katherines (Paperback)
I like to encourage my grandkids to read. This Author is my granddaughters favourite. I am attempting to get her this whole series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny book, Jan. 20 2014
Share Bear (Manitoba Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Abundance of Katherines (Paperback)
Its been awhile since a book made me laugh out loud but this one did. The book was well written, quirky, and kept me interested the whole way through the story of a smart kid trying to mathematically sort why the lastest Katherine has just dumped him. The only critque I had of the book is that it is definiately not written in a matter suitable for an ebook. There are several footnotes throughout each chapter that aren't explained until the end of the chapter so if the chapter is long, it would be much easier to flip back and for paper book than it was for an ebook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, Sept. 24 2013
Having read John Green's other books before, I expected nothing but something great. It's a great book for young adults, and a fun read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cocky and Fun, June 28 2013
S. Gatien "Sooph1e" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Abundance of Katherines (Paperback)
As always, Green's quick wit and adorably annoying characters get straight to your heart. I loved who well written the book was. A great show of resilience and friendship.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book!!, April 14 2013
This review is from: An Abundance of Katherines (Paperback)
I love everything John Green writes, so I'm a little biased! This book is no exception in the line of awesome John Green books. If you love John Green's writing style, check this out!

An Abundance of Katherines
An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (Paperback - Oct. 21 2008)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89