march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 23, 2007
If you had the opportunity to devise a theorem that could correctly predict the outcome of a romantic relationship, would you do it? If it worked, would you use it? Can it even be done? This is the problem plaguing Colin Singleton, recent high school graduate, nearly former child prodigy, hopeful genius. Colin, you see, has a significant problem. He falls in love quite easily, which in and of itself isn't such a bad thing. The fact that all of his loves, nineteen of them to be exact, have been named Katherine can even be explained away by some form of twisted scientific method. What can't be explained, though, is why Colin has been dumped by all nineteen of those Katherines.

When he's dumped by the love of his life, Katherine XIX, he finds himself in a bad place. He can no longer call himself a child prodigy, since he's graduated from high school. He's not a genius, because he's never come up with anything that will change the world. There's an empty place inside of him where his latest Katherine's love used to live, and he doesn't know what to do with himself. Until Hassan Harbish (Muslim, but not a terrorist) devises a way to get Colin out of his funk--a road trip. With no destination in mind, the two set off in The Hearse, Colin's car, and go where the road leads them.

Where it leads them is a small town called Gutshot, Tennessee, where Colin gets the urge to see the supposed grave of Archduke Franz Ferdinand. It's also where the two meet Lindsey Lee Wells and her mother, Hollis. Not to mention where they get to live in a giant Pepto Bismol-pink house on a hill, interview employees of a factory that makes tampon strings, and eat Monster Thickburgers at the local Hardee's.

It's also the place where Colin decides to finish the Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability. Assign numerical value to different variables, plot it on a graph, and you'll be able to predict how long a relationship will last--and who will be the dumper, and who will be the dumpee. Except Colin forgot some pertinent information, like chance, and distorted memories, and the fact that love is never predictable. As Colin and Hassan learn a few things about life in the small town of Gutshot, we get to follow their journey of learning to grow up, to make a name for yourself, and how to matter as a person.

I loved AN ABUNDANCE OF KATHERINES, even more than Mr. Green's previous book, LOOKING FOR ALASKA. That book won the prestigious Michael L. Printz award, and I won't be surprised if this book is nominated, as well. This story is funny, poignant, and informative. For example, if I hadn't read AN ABUNDANCE OF KATHERINES I would never have known that:

1) Fetor hepaticus is a symptom of late-stage liver failure where your breath literally smells like a rotting corpse.

2) The junior senator from New Hampshire in 1873 was Bainbridge Wadleigh.

3) There is absolutely no scientific proof that drinking eight glasses of water a day will improve your health.

4) Dingleberries can be anagrammed into see inbred girl; lie breeds grin; leering debris; greed be nil, sir; be idle re. rings; ringside rebel; and residing rebel.

5) Nikola Tesla did a lot for electricity before Thomas Edison came along and stole some of his ideas, and he also loved pigeons.

6) I still suck at math.

Order this book today. It's great, you'll love it, and you'll actually learn stuff. Three for the price of one!

Reviewed by: Jennifer Wardrip, aka "The Genius"
on March 6, 2013
What a great read. This book had many Laugh out Loud moments for me. Colin and Hassan are such a wonderful pair. I loved every character in this book and will definately be recommending it to my bookie friends. I didn't want the story to end, so i continued on reading the first few chapters of The Fault in Our Stars at the end of the book and damnit now im going to have to re-read that book! (which by the way is my "go-to" book when anyone asks me what they should read next)
on May 16, 2012
This is my first John Green book. I was recommended not to read this one first, but I read it anyway (and still want to read more of his books). I thought the characters were very well developed, and the hints of trivia just added to the fun. I'm excited to read more.

This book contains mentions of drinking, swearing and sexuality. It's most appropriate for those in high school, recent graduates, and older.
on December 30, 2015
Colin is single, and not by choice. In the course of his life, he's been left by nineteen Katherines . To cheer him up his best friend, Hassan, takes him on a road trip around the US. But will meeting a different girl (a non Katherine) help Colin understand why his relationships don't work? Or is this prodigy simply doomed to be left?

This is the type of book that you pick up with lots of expectations. John Green is a such a talented author that I admit I wanted to drift away in some beautiful tale. But I got Colin instead. He is socially awkward, and his fascination with being dumped (although I get it, love hurts) makes little sense when he was seeing his last flame for less than 15 days. In fact, some of his relationships lasted mere hours. Eventually his pain just seemed vain.

Plus the road trip was cut extremely short as both friends found a ''job'' (paid for doing nothing. Are they still hiring?). Leaving only subplots like Hassan's wavering Libralike decisions of going to school or not, drinking or not, dating or not -- to hold the story down, until Colin got the idea of creating a mathematical formula that could determine your relationship outcome before it begins.

Another Papertowns. Gave it two stars due to the math calculations and annotations.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 9, 2014
John Green's books are delightful and reflective at the same time. "An Abundance of Katherines" did not disappoint. The story would probably relate to a younger audience but this over 60 reader thoroughly enjoyed it. I appreciate his musings on life and relationships. The characters were easy to empathize with:
Colin, the young genius who looks to theorize everything, even relationships
Hassan, his friend, who wonders what he should do with his life
Lindsey, the girl they meet after they decide to go on a road trip together.
The cast of characters includes parents, city slickers and country folk, and a matriarch with a town factory to oversee. The story unfolds like a road trip. It is quickly moving with lots of philosophy and humor thrown in. Great read!
on January 20, 2014
Its been awhile since a book made me laugh out loud but this one did. The book was well written, quirky, and kept me interested the whole way through the story of a smart kid trying to mathematically sort why the lastest Katherine has just dumped him. The only critque I had of the book is that it is definiately not written in a matter suitable for an ebook. There are several footnotes throughout each chapter that aren't explained until the end of the chapter so if the chapter is long, it would be much easier to flip back and for paper book than it was for an ebook.
on April 23, 2015
I didn't know what to expect with this book. I had previously read Looking For Alaska and The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. But I'm pleased to say that this book absolutely surpassed my expectations. It was different... in a good way! An Abundance of Katherines made me laugh out loud on so many occasions. The main character Colin is so smart and funny - I never wanted him to stop talking. This book is so well written I didn't want to put it down. All hail John Green.
on June 12, 2014
I've read most if not all of John Green's book but this wasn't my favourite. The plot seemed somewhat random and without a clear direction. The characters were well developed and interesting and there were certainly some funny bits. However, other than the the main character (Colin) getting over his previous girlfriend, it didn't seem to have truly reached a conclusion.
on June 15, 2014
This is another great John Green book. The plot line of this was just so unique, I have never been more interested. The book was slow at first, but things did pick up and I couldn't put it down! The originality of the story line is great, and I definitely recommend this book.
on September 20, 2015
The book is about a boy named Colin Singleton, who has dated 19 girls named Katherine, all of which have dumped him.
The storyline is interesting.
Maybe after reading TFIOS, I had extremely high expections for AAOK.