Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

Format: PaperbackChange

on July 2, 2010
13-year-old Theodore Boone considers himself an expert on the law. He comes from a family of lawyers, and loves to spend time at the courthouse. Although only in grade 8, Theo knows he wants to be a lawyer (or a judge) when he grows up, and students at his school come to him for advice on their family's legal troubles on a regular basis. Theo's almost always able to help, but when one of his classmates reveals important information on the biggest trial the small town of Strattenburg has seen in years, Theo knows he's in over his head.

While perhaps a bit too young for the adult YA fan, Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer is absolutely perfect for it's target audience (ages 9-12), and does a marvelous job of explaining the legal and judicial system to kids. By having Theo and his classmates attend a day of the trial as part of their Government class, Grisham is able to use clear examples to demonstrate exactly what happens as a case progresses through court. The story is well written and manages to present an interesting trial without resulting to violence or objectionable content. Theo is an honest and trustworthy character, that readers will find themselves rooting for. I do wish there had been some closure on the situation with Theo's friend April, and the ending felt very much like the set-up to a sequel rather than the end of the story. I found Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer very enjoyable read, reminiscent of the Trixie Belden and Hardy Boys books I loved as a child.

Congrats to John Grisham for creating an interesting and educational story with a positive role model for young readers!
on June 2, 2010
I bought this book because it looked interesting and by john grisham....then i realized it was published by a children's book company..... hence it is targeted for teen readers...but adults will enjoy it too, as i was fun and humorous and not so complicated as jc's other legal novels...maybe im just a big kid but i loved it!!!
on May 21, 2014
I bought the series of 5 books, simply because there was no warning that the books are for teenagers and I'm 78, and I've been reading Grisham from before he was writing even. These books were very difficult to comprehend, mostly because the first one didn't have an ending. I kept on reading them all-;), and discovered there was so much repetitiveness in each book from one to another, I don't know how a young teenager would have my patience to read them all. I am a retired entrepreneur from the print industry, from machine sales to press operator to proofreader to 2 book author myself, I admire and enjoyed John Grisham so much over the years I thought he should be aware of his proofreader? Publisher?
on March 24, 2013
Seasoned many twists and turn and at the end u don't expect it

Hi hi hi hi hi hi hi
on June 6, 2015
A great read for kids or adults. I especially recommend it for teens. A painless way to learn some law and read a good story at the same time. I didn't like that Grisham didn't finish the story. He assumed we knew how it would end but I still wanted to read it - without telling the story.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
"The hope of the righteous will be gladness,
But the expectation of the wicked will perish." -- Proverbs 10:28 (NKJV)

Have you ever read a book about a young person who practices law without a license? I haven't. I wasn't quite sure what to expect because the strictures on what a teen can do legally are pretty extreme.

Forget that you've read other books by John Grisham that are filled with really disgusting criminals, overwhelming risk, mind-boggling thrills and action, and unexpected twists and turns. If you expect a book like that, forget Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer. It's not that kind of book. Erase all memories of The Client in this regard.

I found TB:KL to be mostly about explaining the law to the 9-12 set. As such, it wasn't bad. It wasn't great, but someone who wants to pick up a little legal understanding amid a story about a murder trial will probably find that this is more fun than reading a non-fiction book.

I found myself comparing this book with To Kill a Mockingbird, which I read when I was a young teen. While that book was very engrossing, filled with heart-pounding scenes, TB:KL is more like a book from the fifties where the kids are smarter than the parents, the parents have no idea what's going on, and everyone lives happily ever after.

The best thing I can say about TB:KL is that the ending strongly suggests a sequel, one that could have some of the normal Grisham thrills in it. One can only hope at this point.

If I had handed this book to any of my children at ages 9-12, I doubt if they would have finished it. And they had an above-average interest in the law.
on March 23, 2014
It doesn't measure up to Grishom's adult oriented books but as I read it, I could imagine younger readers enjoying it.
on July 19, 2014
Bought this book because it's John Grisham - didn't realize that adults were not the primary audience...whoops!
on January 27, 2014
there was no ending to the story. I am still wondering what happen to Mr Duffy on his retrile in June.
on October 8, 2010
John Grisham's Theodore Boone

When 13 year old Theodore Boone discovers a concealed witness that would be instrumental to a murder trial in progress he is faced with the daunting task of persuading an illegal immigrant to appear in court. Although everyone is of the opinion that the accused Pete Duffy is guilty of killing his own wife, there is insufficient evidence to confirm this. Eventually the unknown witness does testify, thus providing convicting evidence to the prosecution.

Marring a mildly captivating plot is an unfortunately abrupt ending, with no conclusion, thus leading to a very unsatisfactory experience. Although the author usually conquers the art of the unexpected ending (particularly in Grisham's The Firm) this is a failure. Compared to my benchmark Book (Dan Brown's Digital Fortress) this pathetic attempt at children's literiture receives a 2/10.