Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

Format: PaperbackChange

on October 1, 2015
In a world where everything is controlled for you by the sorting of numbers. From who you’ll marry, the job you’ll have, they even promise you a fulfilling life all the way up to age eighty, where you pass away peacefully never feeling useless or unwanted. Your life is controlled by three tablets: green, blue and red. No one knows what the red tablet does, people believe it is a death tablet, but the Society fends off those rumors. The blue tablet is given at age 10; it is filled with enough nutrients to keep you alive for several days. The green tablet is given at age 13; it will make you calm, but you can only use it once a week. The red tablet is given at age 16, and is only to be used when instructed. Where the world is finally at a state of content, the Society seems perfect on the outside. But inside at Mapletree Borough, one girl finds the flaw that runs deep into the bones of the way of life.

Cassia follows the rules. She always had, and thought she always would. Her family consists of her mother, father and little brother Bram, who have lived in Mapletree Borough all their life. Everything was peaceful, or so they thought. The day of the Match Banquet was a series of preparation for the girls of Mapletree. As at age seventeen the girls will find out which boy they have been destined to marry, and a chance to show off their beauty by wearing colorful dresses, instead of their regular brown, black or gray clothes. Cassia was especially excited as this was the day she’s been dreaming of, showing up as the only girl in a bright green dress. Her match, well it was an unusual one as she was matched with her best friend since childhood Xander. It seems like a fairy tale as both families were excited, Cassia’s peers were jealous as Xander was a good cached, and with their memories of playing in the sandbox together, they were a perfect match.Cassia was happy, at least until she put her card in to find out all about Xander’s life and saw a face that wasn’t Xander’s staring back at her, instead it was a different boy, one she knew, but never got to know well. His name was Ky.

Ky Markham was Cassia’s second matched. This has to be a mistake as you cannot be with two people, yet the Society doesn’t make mistakes. It hurt Cassia even more as she knew Ky, they went to school together, and have hung out a few times. Where Cassia was perfectly happy to be with Xander, she couldn’t help wonder why she and Ky were matched up, even if it was a mistake. For her summer activity she picked hiking, and was shocked when Ky was there too, and the Offical had paired them up. For many trips with Ky up The Hill, Cassia starts to learn about his story, about the story of the Society, and how even though they told her to be with Xander, she wanted to be with Xander, she couldn’t help but fall in love with Ky. With a love triangle forming it is up to the Society to cut this tree down, before it can start causing real trouble.

Ally Condie had a good story line going, yet the characters fell flat. The Society (similar to the one in The Giver) had a good backbone, with a little mention of how our society fell; they had rules, normal and weird (no running outside of the track), and a general order to keep the people controlled. Yet I felt nothing for Cassia. Maybe it was the fact that the story was a love triangle, but the love Cassia has supposedly fallen for Ky and Xander never felt strong, let alone reality. It was a good start, but to keep this story going there needs to be a strong character development event coming.
on September 22, 2015
It took two attempts to pick up this book to read it and I must admit. It was worth it. I enjoyed it. It is well written and I can't wait to start the second one. If you are struggling in the beginning, hold on it gets better.
on June 26, 2015
I think this book might be one of the ones were you really like it or you find it boring. For me I find if you look just past the surface there are a lot of deep concepts and I suggest this book to anyone who is looking for a good read that might be a bit outside your normal. I find it a little like The Giver mixed with some romance and deeper concepts.
on January 6, 2015
A Dystopian plotline that follows the life of Cassia Reyes, a sorter who has reached the age where she will be matched with her mate. The book opens with Cassia being matched with her best friend, Xander. But as she opens the file that outlines her match's attributes a different face flashes onto the screen: Ky Markham.

As Cassia tries to make sense of what happened an official tells her that Ky's face showing up was an error. And furthermore, she reveals that Ky can never be matched because he is an Aberration.

The rest of the book revolves around Cassia's growing discontentment with her society's rules and regulations (of which there are many). As more and more corruption in the system is revealed, Cassia also finds herself having to choose between her best friend, Xander, and Ky, the boy she is developing strong feelings for.

I enjoyed this story to a point. I really liked the character development and how Cassia grew from an obedient citizen to a rebel as the story progressed. I didn't enjoy the love triangle theme of the book - as this was a significant theme in the novel. I find love triangles that dominate the main female character's motives tend to weaken the story's plotline for me as a reader. I would rather see the character develop on her own without romantic conflict.
on August 15, 2014
A really good book
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Ally Condie's Matched is yet another YA dystopian novel for readers looking for another book to cure their Hunger Games hangover. It is a love story set in a society where young girls and boys are matched by "the system." And, of course, this young girl is different from the rest of society. She doesn't fit in the system and her wrong choice will mark her as a threat that must be eliminated.

Matched is the first book in Condie's trilogy and it is a New York Times bestseller. It will do well with teens who like love triangles and love story filled with difficult choices. However, Matched has less adult-crossover appeal than other YA books. It was a light and easy read about following your heart and falling in love, but if the love story doesn't hook you, you likely won't enjoy it.

Personally, I don't like Cassia and I think her feelings for Ky make her rather shallow. She acts every bit the seventeen-year-old girl that she is and compared to other dystopian YA heroines, she's less impressive. Cassia hates the system, but she's still technically inside the system by choosing Ky over Xander. A true act of rebellion (and a more interesting story) would have been where Cassia falls in love with someone she didn't see on the screen.

And more than that, why can't she fall for Xander? A case wasn't made for why Xander isn't the right choice for her. Xander's characterization makes him the ideal match, but because he's the system's choice, Cassia won't pick him. I'd argue that she's simply at an age where the bad boy is more appealing than the right boy. Essentially, I felt the story was driven more by teen hormones than anything else. And I'm old enough to see that Cassia's treatment of Xander makes her not worthy of either boy's affection. But again, I'm an adult reading a book that was written for a younger audience.

Ally Condie brings a unique twist to the extensive variety of YA dystopian novels out there. Parents, librarians and educators will appreciate that this is a "clean read" for those who like the dystopian genre, but who read more for the love story. I'm not dying to read the next two books, but I am curious to see where the story goes in Crossed and Reached.

3 Stars
on May 29, 2014
These are great books for your adult and teenagers alike! We were very excited to get the books so quickly!
on February 20, 2014
This was the first new world book I've read so I might be biased but I think it had a good story just wished the series and as storngly as it started
on July 5, 2013
2.5 stars

I can see why people said Matched was a complete copy of The Giver basing from the “forced utopia” world that they lived in. If that’s the case then so is the movie Equilibrium and other dystopian books and movies with the same utopia. Since there are a lot of dystopian books out there that might have similar utopias, I decided to just rate and review the story, the plot, and the characters.

Matched didn’t do it for me. There were a lot of things I personally didn’t like or just wasn’t interesting enough for me. I didn’t care so much about the plot of this first book. It gave me the feeling of being under-developed and that it was lacking something.

As for the characters, I wasn’t a big fan of Cassia or even Ky. Cassia, I thought, was a brat and an emotional drama queen. She wasn’t close to any of the female main characters I loved and adored that were strong, independent, and konws exactly what they want. She clung so much to the past and those poems. I also didn’t like how she didn’t choose Xander who has been there all her life protecting her and taking a lot of risks for her. It almost seems like she only wanted Ky more because she knows she can’t be with him. I don’t really know but I guess there’s more thrill and excitement in being with Ky than Xander.

It is strange how we hold on to the pieces of the past while we wait for our futures.

We could have been happy. I know that, and it is perhaps the hardest thing to know.

Ky didn’t do it for me either. He was this trying-hard-to-be-mysterious guy who also always tried to be average. It was just such a cliche for me and I didn’t have a connection with this character at all. He was too poetic and emotional for my liking, but the thing that turned me off more than anything was how he knew Cassia and Xander were already matched and he knew how much trouble he would put Cassia, her family, and his family in if he tries to pursue her and he still did.

The only characters I actually liked were Bram and Xander. I loved Bram’s innocence and closeness to his grandfather. I loved how he might be young but he knows to protect his family, especially covering up for her irresponsible and reckless sister. As for Xander, he was the imperfect perfect guy (if that made any sense). I loved how he just wanted to make his girl happy and how he still helped her knowing she was going after another guy. I loved how he took risks for Cassia without getting anyone else involved. I loved how he was just always there for his friends, too. I also loved how he wasn’t perfect and had that memory from his past that he regrets and wish he never did.

“I came up on the screen, too, Cassia. But he was the one you chose to see.”

I am curious enough about what might happen next and if it will get better to read the next installment. It is the first book of a trilogy so you’ll never know what might happen in the next books, – it might be better, the same, or worse – but just knowing that there might be a chance for it to be better is enough for me to read the next installments.

In summary, it was an okay read. There were parts that I just had to skip because it was just too much talk about poetry and I don’t like skipping parts. I can’t really say I’d recommend this book but readers aren’t the same – what might have been just an okay book for me might be an awesome book for you.

For more reviews like this, please visit [...]
on March 25, 2013
I've been wanting to read this series for a really long time, due to all the hype around it. I'm glad I finally got the chance to start it! It started off good with Matched. This novel is a YA Dystopia about a girl, Cassia, who faces the possibility that everything she's ever been told about the Society might be wrong. The Society, a type of government that controls and monitors everything and that is supposed to be perfect, might not be as perfect as it seems. They made a mistake of some sort with her Match -- a system that tells each individual who they are supposed to marry and be happiest with. But Cassia had two faces pop up on her Match. Which is the right one? She's not supposed to have a choice; in fact, no one in this Dystopian society is supposed to be able to choose when it comes to big decisions.

The story was good. It was interesting and unique and kept my interest. The world-building was very well done. This Dystopian world was easy to understand and picture. But, I felt like there was more world-building than actual story for about the first half of the book -- not too much happened in the first half of the story. I didn't overly mind though, because I hate when Dystopias don't have enough world-building. I like to be able to picture this world that I'm reading about.

The characters were pretty good. They weren't my favourite characters, but they weren't bad by any means. Cassia is difficult for me to describe. She has strong and weak moments, but I think she will be even stronger in the sequel. She is an honest and kind person, for the most part, when it comes to dealing with the people she loves. She has two love interests (of course, a love triangle). Xander is one love interest. I wish we would have been able to see more of Xander; I feel like we didn't get to know him as much as I would have liked. But, he seems like a really good character. The other love interest is Ky, whom I loved. Both Xander and Ky care about Cassia and are willing to risk things for her. They are both strong, with their weaknesses being her.

The writing was good. I found everything easy to understand and read, and I was easily captivated. I loved that it was in first person narrative, as that is my favourite to read and it's been a while since I've read a first person narration. So, that was nice. However, I do feel like something was missing from the writing -- a certain amount of depth, maybe. Especially with the was missing that extra something. It's hard to describe what I mean, but the story didn't seem to grab me and pull me in as much as some other books have.

I would recommend this book. I feel like this is probably the slower book in the series, though I don't know for sure yet. I just have the feeling that the other two books will pick up and be more exciting and intense. I thought the ending of Matched was really well done and it got me excited to read the sequel!