5.0 out of 5 stars Family matters, May 30 2012
Tom Turvey "Priscilla Turvey" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
So there hasn't been a book thus far in the series that I haven't loved. I have definitely liked some more than others, and this book is one of them. It was fantastic from the first page that started off with Harry on the run in the middle of a case. To the last pages where the bonds of family and friends were tested and exposed.

This book has been one of the more emotional ones. I found that there were a lot of personal moments with Murphy, Harry, Ebenezer, Thomas with Justine and his House Raith vampire family. It was nice to hear the history between some of the characters and see them tested.

I am eager to start book seven of the series as the stories just keep getting better and more intertwined and with them, the characters more developed.

I rate this book 5/5.

Priscilla

5.0 out of 5 stars Gresden files series is spellbinding!, June 1 2009
Genipher Rodocanachi (Burnaby,B.C.) - See all my reviews
I purchased the first 6 books in the series at the recommendation of a friend.I'm already finishing the third and will immediately start in on the fourth.That's how captivating his writing is! I will certainly be buying the last two in the series as well.His writing is very easy reading with great plots,believable characters and great dialogue.

5.0 out of 5 stars And Harry thought he was alone?, Sept. 6 2008
GinRobi (Timmins, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
Harry's friend, Thomas, a vampire from the White Court, asks Harry for a favor: His friend, Arturo Genosa, an adult film producer, believes than an entropy curse has been laid upon him. The women in his films are meeting untimely and intriguingly spectacular deaths, and Arturo doesn't know why. As Harry investigates, he wonders if the studio Arturo left behind could be behind it all. But as his investigation continues, new information comes to light and it becomes more than that.

Meanwhile, Mavra, a vampire from the Black Court is back - and is after Harry. He hires Kincaid to help him get rid of her and recruits his cop friend, Murphy, and his mentor and teacher, Ebenezar McCoy, knowing that he and Kincaid can't do it alone.

Thomas's family becomes involved in Harry's investigation of the entropy curse, leaving Harry confused and wondering if Thomas set him up. However, a soulgaze with Thomas brings forth something that Harry had never known: Harry's mother had been one of Lord Raith's women - the head of the White Court vampires and Thomas's brother. Thomas is Harry's half-brother.

And just when Harry is left wondering if there are any more surprises... Harry learns that Kincaid isn't exactly human. He also learns that Ebenezar is also known as Blackstaff McCoy - the one who takes care of the `ugly' matters that the White Council won't take care of themselves. Ebenezar has done things he's not proud of, including lying to Harry. It was Thomas's father, Lord Raith, who had found Harry's mother, Margaret LeFay, and killed her shortly after Harry was born. Now, more than ever, Harry is determined to get rid of Lord Raith.

Holy crow, did a lot of things come to light in this book. Harry's friendship with Murphy grows deeper, and Murphy learns she has more courage than she thought she had. He wonders if Mavra is gone for good and how he's going to get the funds to pay Kincaid before Kincaid's `deadline'. Thomas is his brother, who has been banned from the Raith House and is now staying with Harry for the moment. Arturo's entropy curse has been put to rest. He is unsure if he'll ever forgive Ebenezar.

As with all the Dresden novels, the magic and action are pumped up, raising this reader's adrenaline. I love how Harry manages to figure out everything, fitting all the pieces together. The mix of friends and enemies are always at the forefront, and Harry's sarcasm comes out more and more. I love his quirkiness, his relationship with Murphy as well as Bob. The author manages to give the reader explanations to rituals and rules, both Black Court and White Court vampires alike; their differences in powers and formalities. But he doesn't go overboard, avoids creating anything formal as to limiting his story line for future novels. Butcher's blend of paranormal/supernatural, occult beliefs and magic creates a world unlike any other - something distinct that you can't compare to other series' in this genre. Bravo, Mr. Butcher!

You can't get better than Harry Dresden. This series is highly recommended to those who like paranormal and sci-fi novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, Nov. 11 2009
Harmony K. (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Blood Rites (Audio CD)
The Dresden Files series is my favorite. I've read each book several times already. There are 11 books out so far. The 12th one ("Changes") can already be ordered at Amazon. Jim Butcher has promised to write 23 books in total.

Since this audiobook hasn't been released yet, obviously I can't comment on it much.

I can however tell you that the book itself is just as great as the others.

Also, James Marsters did a fantastic job reading the audiobooks I already own (numbers 1..5 and 8..11 in the series), so I'd expect him to do the same here. OK, maybe I'm biased, because he played my favorite character (Spike) in my favorite TV shows (Buffy and Angel), but he's very good at reading, seriously. The scenes with Toot-Toot for example are a hoot.

Packaging - hard to say. So far, Penguin has only produced one audiobook in the series (Death Masks). The others were made by a different company and packaged differently. Death Masks had poor packaging. I had to return it to Amazon because a disk was broken. However, I had a replacement within a week, I didn't have to pay any postage, and the replacement was in perfect shape, so I really don't think this is a problem. BTW, kudos to Amazon - excellent customer service there. Anyway, I suspect that Penguin will improve the packaging for future books, after getting feedback from Death Masks.

ARRAY(0xbcf13f6c)

Blood Rites
Blood Rites by Jim Butcher (Audio CD - April 20 2010)
CDN$ 62.50 CDN$ 39.38
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available