5.0 out of 5 stars Humanity Needs This Book, May 18 2004
V. Marshall (North Fork, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Siddhartha: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) (Paperback)
I would have never read this book had it not been for the advice from someone I admire greatly. It was highly recommended as a spiritual experience....so I tried it.
With all of the emphasis placed on religion today I found this book to inspire not religious practice but true inner peace and spiritual values comparable to many religious texts. This book has something to say and if you get it the message will follow you forever, yes it has that much impact on an open heart.
The story revolves around an Indian youth named Siddhartha, who with a restless heart and many questions attempts to experience the world before making a commitment to tradition. He struggles with the ties of family values and the pull of an unknown world. So he takes a plunge and leaves his security nest to find what life is all about. He works, he strives, he succeeds, he finds wealth, love and humanity but in the end all he really needs is peace of mind and freedom to choose his own path. Sounds achingly familiar to us all dosen't it?
I highly recommend you experience this book, for the beauty, the bravery and the freedom of choice. It will remain a part of your soul if you let it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Follow Siddartha's Way..., May 3 2003
Burak Kilic (Istanbul, TURKEY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Siddhartha: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) (Paperback)
Herman Hesse is one of the most important figures of German Literature, and in my view the most expressive artist who takes his inspirations directly from life and how we live it.
I will not tell what happens in the course of the book; instead, I will tell you the emotions it evokes in one's mind and heart. Hesse's style is very elegant, and you will not want to turn the pages, because you will be afraid the pleasure will end. Indeed, it is beautiful; indeed, it is simple.
It's about a man, who learns the life from the very beginning. It's a story that will question your thinking about the life itself. It will make you fall into doubts; it will make you wonder what life could give you.
It couldn't have been more fascinating for one to see how the hard issues of life (love, money, purpose of life) could be layed out in a refined and tasteful storyboard.
Usually people have books, that they would call as 'the book of my life'. I must admit, that it is one of those books, definitely. The story is short, but the delight is eternal. This book should be read, and reread, and reread...

Siddhartha: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)
Siddhartha: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) by Hermann Hesse (Paperback - Dec 31 2002)
CDN$ 16.00 CDN$ 14.87