5.0 out of 5 stars Humanity Needs This Book
I would have never read this book had it not been for the advice from someone I admire greatly. It was highly recommended as a spiritual experience....so I tried it.
Published on May 18 2004 by V. Marshall

3.0 out of 5 stars i's an okay book, nothing special.
If you like books that don't have a lot of action or excitment this isn't a good book for you to read. If you just like relaxing and reading a calm, semi-religous book, READ IT!!!
Published on April 10 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Humanity Needs This Book, May 18 2004
V. Marshall (North Fork, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Siddhartha: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) (Paperback)
With all of the emphasis placed on religion today I found this book to inspire not religious practice but true inner peace and spiritual values comparable to many religious texts. This book has something to say and if you get it the message will follow you forever, yes it has that much impact on an open heart.
The story revolves around an Indian youth named Siddhartha, who with a restless heart and many questions attempts to experience the world before making a commitment to tradition. He struggles with the ties of family values and the pull of an unknown world. So he takes a plunge and leaves his security nest to find what life is all about. He works, he strives, he succeeds, he finds wealth, love and humanity but in the end all he really needs is peace of mind and freedom to choose his own path. Sounds achingly familiar to us all dosen't it?
I highly recommend you experience this book, for the beauty, the bravery and the freedom of choice. It will remain a part of your soul if you let it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Follow Siddartha's Way..., May 3 2003
Burak Kilic (Istanbul, TURKEY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Siddhartha: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) (Paperback)
Herman Hesse is one of the most important figures of German Literature, and in my view the most expressive artist who takes his inspirations directly from life and how we live it.
I will not tell what happens in the course of the book; instead, I will tell you the emotions it evokes in one's mind and heart. Hesse's style is very elegant, and you will not want to turn the pages, because you will be afraid the pleasure will end. Indeed, it is beautiful; indeed, it is simple.
It's about a man, who learns the life from the very beginning. It's a story that will question your thinking about the life itself. It will make you fall into doubts; it will make you wonder what life could give you.
It couldn't have been more fascinating for one to see how the hard issues of life (love, money, purpose of life) could be layed out in a refined and tasteful storyboard.
Usually people have books, that they would call as 'the book of my life'. I must admit, that it is one of those books, definitely. The story is short, but the delight is eternal. This book should be read, and reread, and reread...

5.0 out of 5 stars THE OLDEST JOKE, May 19 1999
"Sid Arthur" is the oldest joke in the book, but the book itself is older than its oldest joke. Which makes me, when I read it, how old? I think I read it before I was born, and that's no joke. That was a long, long time ago. Which makes me quite old. But if I was that old before I was even born, how old am I now? Younger than the --Ganjesus Christ! We're in India and, like, the Buddha's here, and, like, wow! Like unto like unto like it or not, I am where I am at the moment--in Peterborough, New Hampshire. It's the 22nd of July in the year 1995--my exact age. I shouldn't have cracked the book. Now I've got egg on my face. But who cracked the egg? How long ago? I'll just sit here under this tree and I won't get up until I've answered each of these questions, all of these quesions. No matter how long it takes to stop taking the tree for granted and its shade for sun.

5.0 out of 5 stars An introspective classic, applicable to modern life, Oct. 5 2003
Ted (Houston, TX) - See all my reviews
This is a book that will appeal to anyone who wonders "what it's all about." Hesse has masterfully captured the essence of a wandering soul in Siddhartha's character, someone who seeks meaning and understanding in all its forms.
This book is even more applicable to modern day society than when it was written. We are confronted with millions of choices in our lives and it can often be difficult to discern the correct path; often with respect to the materialism and consumerism that permeates American society. So, take a few hours and peruse Siddhartha...forget about the rat race and imagine life as an ascetic.
Truly a sublime book, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, May 26 1999
By A Customer
I am still overwhelmed with how a Western man was able to understand Eastern philosophy as well as Hesse did. I strongly believe that "Siddhartha" has opened my eyes and am willing to acquire more of Hesse's teachings. Everyone will benefit from "Siddhartha", especially if your goal is to becomre a more well-rounded and knowledgeable person. I do believe that for once, readers ought to take a risk and drop what they're reading just so they can see be exposed to Hesse's work. Although "Siddhartha" is not popular fiction, it is, nonetheless, an outstanding spiritual, intelligent and above all, sublime piece of work.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a great novel about life, May 28 1999
By A Customer
This book starts out when Siddhartha, a Brahmin's son, leaves his family to find inner peace. Then the book didvides into three parts of his life. The ascetic, which is when siddhartha becomes Samana, the lover, which is when Siddhartha falls in love with Kamala. The final part is the ferryman, where Siddhatha spends the rest of his life searching for inner peace. At the end of the book he finds inner peace and becomes a Buddha. I think Siddhatha was a well rounded character. I like how he was never staisfied with himself and determined to find inner peace. This was a great book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last Your Journey Can Begin., April 14 2004
Patrick "Pat Cawley" (Thurles, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This book is your road map to ultimate inner-peace and an understanding of what this whole existence is all about. It will make you realise that there's really little need for religions of any kind. No need for the latest Guru or Teacher. No need to be anything other than who you are, because as you are, you are already there. Get this, you get a life. Not everyone will "get it" but those who do will never need anything else.
If you're really interested in finding out about it all, then get this book. It's the only one you'll ever need, providing you "get it".

4.0 out of 5 stars This book was very good, taught a lot to the reader., May 25 1999
By A Customer
The book Siddhartha was very interesting. It tells about a boy and his travels in search to find true peace, happiness and his "self". I really liked how the author gave Siddhartha three different parts; three different sections of his life. First the ascetic, the lover, then the ferryman. It showed how some people need to go through different stages in their lives to find where they are truly happy and peaceful. After reading Siddhartha, the reader understands how some other people feel about life, and how it is very important to them to live so simply.

5.0 out of 5 stars This was one of my favorite books!!!, May 27 1999
By A Customer
In my English 9 Honors class, we read this book, Siddhartha. I thought that this was a really good and interesting book and I liked it a lot. I liked the way that the author, Herman Hesse, wrote about Siddhartha's life in religion. Also I liked the way that this book progressed. To me this book got so much better and more interesting towards the end of the book than the beginning. Also, in our class we got to read some of Herman Hesse poems and I liked that too. I reccommend this book to all that reads my comments.

4.0 out of 5 stars forced into reading a thought provoking book, April 27 1999
By A Customer
i am currently a sophomore in high school. as part of my ap english class, we are forced to read six books in six weeks with six different writing assignments. i read herman hesse's siddhartha and i was suprised by the story that i read. it was truly a good book. many of my classmates did not think that highly, but i believe it to be one of the best books i have ever read. it makes you want to read it again, so you can think about every sentence more and maybe find some sort of meaning to our lives.

Siddhartha: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)
Siddhartha: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) by Hermann Hesse (Paperback - Dec 31 2002)
CDN$ 16.00 CDN$ 11.55