5.0 out of 5 stars inexplicably charming and quirky, Jan. 27 2003
Crystal C. Loh (London, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zoo In My Luggage (Paperback)
Gerald Durrell's books have touched the hearts of naturalists for decades and I admit that I have only become a fan of his in the recent years. I was introduced to his books through my local used bookstore, where I was looking for copies of James Herriot's books that were not offered at my local bookstore, and decided to pick up a few and try them out.
His stories have a incorporated a vivid energy and hilarity into his passionate memoirs of unique nature experiences that will entertain any nature-lover. While some of his scientific practices may now be considered obsolete, we are given a rare glimpse into the love and respect for all things living that has been a core aspect of any naturalist throughout the ages.
I have since bought as many of Durrell's books that I have been able to find, and treasure each and every one of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, the 4th best of his many books, in my opinion, Sept. 27 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Zoo In My Luggage (Paperback)
Gerald Durrell spent most of his life collecting interesting animal specimens and Durrell is an interesting human specimen himself. His well chronicled life (mostly chronicled by Durrell) begins with the hilarious, and very succesfull, "My family and Other Animals". It is ably followed up with the equally hilarious "Birds, Beasts and Relatives". Both books are full of tales from the Durrell family's years on the Greek Island of Corfu, pre WWII. Little Gerry dives right into the flora and fauna of the island, including its human fauna. I own very few nonfiction books with such a plethora of memorable characters. Now, of course, we get to the volume in question. It is plenty good, and worth multiple readings over years, as is "The Overloaded Ark" and several other books detailing trips to collect animals. A word of warning, don't go nuts and buy all the zillion Durrell titles. Some of them are out of print for a reason and were most likely dashed off by Durrell to finance a collecting trip or two...

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like nature, laughing, or both, read this book, May 9 2001
LYDIA BLAKE (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zoo In My Luggage (Paperback)
I would seriously recommend this book to anyone on the planet. Do you like nature? Read this. Do you like animals? Read this. Do you like humour? Read this. Are you someone who appreciates a good book? Read this. You will come away knowing lots of interesting facts about obscure animals,have sniggered your head off, and with vibrant images filling your head. This is an autobiography jam-packed with laughs and description.

A Zoo in My Luggage
A Zoo in My Luggage by Gerald Durrell (Paperback - June 28 2005)
CDN$ 20.00 CDN$ 14.44