5.0 out of 5 stars Great story
You'd think that just about every book on the bestseller list would be a great story with a great beginning, middle, and end. Not always the case. BUT, The Memory Keeper's Daughter IS one such book. I like to compare it to The Glass Castle in this respect, though that is a memoir.

The premise of the story is this: During a snowstorm in Kentucky, a doctor...
Published on March 19 2007 by Cardiff

3.0 out of 5 stars A fine story trapped within ..
This is a book about the flaws of humanity: physical flaws, errors in judgement and the consequences of living with those flaws. It is also a book about some of the triumphs of humanity despite those flaws.

Published on May 11 2007 by Jennifer Cameron-Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, March 19 2007
This review is from: The Memory Keeper's Daughter (Paperback)

The premise of the story is this: During a snowstorm in Kentucky, a doctor delivers his own twins. One is "normal" and one has Down Syndrome. He lies to his wife, telling her the one with DS has died. I don't want to give too much of the story away, but suffice it to say that things don't go smoothly for the doctor, his wife, the twins, or anyone else, making for one heck of a great story. I was reminded at times of Bark of the Dogwood with its dark moments, or perhaps even The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, though the books have totally different plots. Still, the pacing and writing reminded me of these novels.

Frankly I wasn't able to put this book down. If you want a good story, easy to read, and something you can recommmend to others, this is the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A totally encompassing read, Nov. 28 2006
A. Houston (BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Memory Keeper's Daughter (Paperback)
After reading the first few chapters of this book, I was tempted to put it down and not finish it, as it was somewhat depressing for me and seemed without redeeming factors. In hindsight I was allowing the previous reviewers to influence my opinion;luckily I put that behind me and carried on reading allowing the book to carry me along on its own merits.

Now after several hours devoted to just finishing it, I am amazed at the sheer scope of this story, the volume of emotional content the author managed to convey, and the way her writing managed to draw me in; to understand her characters, their weaknesses, their sins and the healing power of forgiveness.

Did I like David or Norah, or even Caroline,Al,Paul and Phoebe? My affection, present or lacking,is irrelevant. What I liked about the book is that it strikes me as similar to my experience with people in my life, there are things about people(including myself) that I like, and things I don't like. Each one of us is human, every one of us has secrets, and we are all vulnerable, usually unbeknownst to those who know us best. What I love is this author's way of putting this story on paper, making these characters real in a way that I'll never forget them.

5.0 out of 5 stars IT TOUCHES THE HEART!!!, Dec 19 2006
This review is from: The Memory Keeper's Daughter (Paperback)
"The gardens all along the alley were thick with flowers, hollyhocks and irises in every colour, their white and purple tongues vivid against the grass. In the garden a woman was working, tending a row of lush tomato plants. A hedge of lilac bushes grew up behind her, the leaves flashing their pale green undersides in a breeze that pushed the hot air without cooling it." "Is that her?" Paul asked

This is a touching story that goes right to the heart. As I read it I could not help seeing myself in these circumstances and wondering how I would have handled such a challenge, if it came my way.
Dr.David Henry and his wife Norah are a bright and almost perfect couple, but things are likely to change as she gives birth, at least a year after their marriage. When Norah gives birth to a twin, Dr. Henry does the delivery and the first child makes her debut into the world. Right away David notices that the child is a victim of Down's syndrome. With panic in his heart he gives the child to one of the nurses Caroline, asking her to take it to an infirmary, where she would be looked after with expert care. Following the birth of the second child David must tell his wife something about the first child so he decides to tell her that the child was born dead. This story hinges on this little girl's entrance into this world. You will see how the telling of one lie has influenced the life of so many people in this book. It's unbelievable.
I recommend this book as a gift for anyone.
Heather Marshall Negahdar [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Not easily forgotten, May 25 2007
Asia (N.S. Canada) - See all my reviews
If you're looking for a book that you can read and then forget, this is not for you. I was haunted by this story, the way I was by Wally Lamb's "I know this Much is True" and MCcrae's "Bark of the Dogwood"---both of which I couldn't seem to put down or let go of once I'd closed the covers of the books. MEMORY is no different. I found myself asking, "What would I have done in the same situation?" I honestly don't know, but the story is well written without being overblown and wordy.

Must also recommend the novels: "Middlesex" and "The Time Traveler's Wife" for two other great books. If you want to read the same thing every time, pick one author--me? I like something different each time.

3.0 out of 5 stars A fine story trapped within .., May 11 2007
Jennifer Cameron-Smith "Expect the Unexpected" (ACT, Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)

The novel contains some wonderful prose and describes some difficult choices but never really gives me one character whose role is sufficient to carry me through the challenges, triumphs and events. Perhaps there are too many secrets, too much drama and not enough trust? I'm not sure.

I am intrigued enough to want to read more by this author. Clearly, this novel has appealed to many.

Jennifer Cameron-Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, Nov. 24 2006
This review is from: The Memory Keeper's Daughter (Paperback)
The novel chronicles 25 years of the lives of the Henrys and the things that happen to them because of the secret Dr Henry has kept. The reader begins to wonder "what if" - what if Dr Henry had told his wife about the baby sooner? What if he had never lied to her at all? What if the nurse had left her at the institution? What if the nurse had not been there at all? The novel shows that a secret, especially one as big as this one, can have far reaching and long lasting effects not only on the people the secret is kept FROM but also one the one keeping the secret.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone, Jan. 1 2007
Teach me (Polar bear land) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Memory Keeper's Daughter (Paperback)
I loved character driven novels, and THE MEMORY KEEPER'S DAUGHTER is one, just as the novels NEVER LET ME GO and THE CORRECTIONS were (all were excellent, by the way), so I took to this novel like a duck to water. Well written and even-handed without any overblown melodrama, you'll find yourself haunted by the simplicity of the writing, yet the complexity of the characters.

Highly recommended along with the novels THE GLASS CASTLE and THE CORRECTIONS. If you're looking for a great read, look for further.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worthy of best seller status., July 31 2007
maya j (Quail Crossing) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Memory Keeper's Daughter (Paperback)
I have read many, many books this past year, and unfortunately, 'The Memory Keeper's Daughter' was at the very bottom of the list. It makes me realize that although a book can be at the top of the "best sellers" list for months, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a literary masterpiece, or frankly, even a good work of fiction. The book starts out in a way that you anticipate all good things, but from there it just fizzles. This book is WAY overwritten. There are too many words to tell this story, and all these words do nothing more than become redundant (how many times can you use the phrase "motes of light"?). Even with all these words, the characters are still underdeveloped. You find yourself wondering how nurse Caroline can be so in love with this truck driver she's barely known, and Norah is a bit of a whiner/primadonna but is somehow still so desirable. Dr. Henry seems like such a pathetic man, it amazes that he could even have been a surgeon. I kept wanting more from all these people, and all I got were "motes of light" and weird ramblings about driving along the bridge fast and a woman (Norah) who was technically an alcoholic but not really an alcoholic, because that part never fleshed out either. Basically, it was the same prose over and over, and night after night, I felt I had to force myself to read it, because I am loathe to not finish even the worst of books. I probably could have read the first few chapters and the last few chapters and called it a night. There are way better choices out there for your reading pleasure.

2.0 out of 5 stars Best seller????? WHY????, Jan. 3 2010
This review is from: The Memory Keeper's Daughter (Paperback)
I got this book since it was on a best seller's list, and if this type of book gets on a bets sellers list i no longer will trust best sellers list!!!

the story line sounds great, father giving away a daughter since she has downs to a nurse. It sounds like a great story a great read, something different and interesting.
But the writing is boring, full of irrelevant detail. There are different narrators in every chapter ( which ususally i like) but in this book was not well done.

Unlike a review on the back cover, there is no human connection in the book.
This book is just LACKING in every way..... dont waste your time... believe me you willl be disappointed i was.....

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Time, April 10 2008
This review is from: The Memory Keeper's Daughter (Paperback)
I was very interested in reading this book after I read the back cover. I should of stopped there and put it back on the shelf. It was drawn out and boring and so wordy. Save your money and your time and do not bother to read this book. The best part is the cover.

The Memory Keeper's Daughter
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards (Paperback - May 30 2006)
CDN$ 17.00 CDN$ 12.27