5.0 out of 5 stars The popular aspiration of the future
Gilbert's adventures combine a challenging spiritual quest with dreamlike travel experiences. Her struggles with inner pain are real and gripping, while the exotic locales stoke the reader's appetite for more. She seems to mix it all very well -- inner growth, vocational renewal, and the best kinds of friendship. I just loved her Balinese friend Wayan.

Some...
Published on Feb. 28 2008 by Brian Griffith

1.0 out of 5 stars I didn't get it.
I know millions of women got a lot out of this book, but I just couldn't find anything enlightening in it. The author was also paid in advance to have the spiritual experience she writes about, which made me doubt its sincerity. I did enjoy the food descriptions in the 'eat' part, though.

The best book of this genre is "Gift From the Sea" by Ann Morrow...
Published on Sept. 6 2009 by J. Macgillivray

1.0 out of 5 stars I didn't get it., Sept. 6 2009
J. Macgillivray "Maritime Bookworm" (Moncton, NB, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia (Paperback)

The best book of this genre is "Gift From the Sea" by Ann Morrow Lindbergh.

5.0 out of 5 stars The popular aspiration of the future, Feb. 28 2008
Brian Griffith (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Some people would consider this book spiritual tourism at its most escapist. But let me give one paragraph as an example of what Gilbert puts herself through:

"It took me a while to drop into real silence. Even after I'd stopped talking, I found I was still humming with language. My organs and muscles of speech -- brain, throat, chest, back of neck -- vibrated with the residual effects of talking long after I'd stopped making sounds. My head shimmered in a reverb of sound, the way an indoor swimming pool seems to echo interminably with sounds and shouts, even after the kindergarteners have gone home for the day. It took a surprizingly long time for all this pulsation of speech to fall away, for the whirling noises to settle. Maybe it took about three days."

I'm really glad to see this book topping the bestseller lists in North America, and I hope Gilbert's kind of adventure becomes the popular aspiration of the future.

--author of A Galaxy of Immortal Women: The Yin Side of Chinese Civilization

1.0 out of 5 stars Shallow and Uninteresting, June 21 2010
This is the story of a self-absorbed woman getting over a failed relationship. She escapes to Italy, India and Bali in search of discovering some meaning to her life. Unfortunately, her experiences are not only entirely glib and mundane, they are written in such a cute and syrupy style that I finished reading the book only through sheer perseverance. I could go on about how this book can be seen as a reflection of modern individualistic society, but I digress.

I found this book utterly nauseating. A complete waste of time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why is this a best-seller??, Jan. 2 2009
JBB (Ottawa, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
I am mystified as to why this book is such a best seller. I actually saved this book to read during my Christmas holiday and was extremely disappointed. Several times, I wanted to give up but decided to stay open minded and read the entire book. But, overall I found Ms. Gilbert to be an unlikeable character which ruined the book for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Self-indulgent pulp for the affluent and self-absorbed, Jan. 10 2010
I looked forward to reading this book but couldn't get through "Eat", let alone "Pray" and "Love". I tossed it aside in disgust. I vehemently disliked the protagonist and couldn't care one whit about her self-indulgent journey. The message I got from the pages I managed to read was "when times get tough, take a year off, travel the world and focus only on your self", as though the average person has that kind of luxury or would really even want to do that. This book sums up, for me, what's wrong with modern North American society -- far too much orientation on self and "I'm worth it", and not enough focus on what's real and important. Eat, Pray, Love is, in my opinion, VASTY over-rated and definitely not on my recommended reading list.

2.0 out of 5 stars over-rated and blown up, April 29 2010
susan (surrey, bc) - See all my reviews
I will not see the movie when it comes out as I do not wish to support any more of Ms Gilbert's profits. I was under the erroneous assumption that I would gain something personal from the book; something with which to identify. While the Italian component was a bit fun to read and held a bit of "wish I was there" for me, the India section dragged on painfully. Gilbert makes a point of name dropping her numerous wealthy friends who were there for her. Gilbert had a family support as well as many friends on whom she could rely. She was never left to her own defenses. As the pages turned, I began to expect yet another of Gilbert's successful friends to come up in her story. The book is far more about her connections to a very priviledged society rather than about finding herself in the real world - of being left to fend for yourself and feeling completely alone with very limited funds. And, all is well for Gilbert, because once again she has someone to rely on - her fairy tale ending with a new romance, and, yes, lots of money to do and travel as she wishes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scintillating (3.5 stars), Jan. 11 2013
Gilbert's search for life and love in Italy reminded me of Aleesa Sutton's Diary of a Single Mormon Female. Both authors share their tales of thwarted romance (in Europe and elsewhere) and their sincere efforts to make sense of God in a candid and humorous way. Gilbert's book is full of heart and spiritual insight, even if it does run a little long. Recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars one big snore, Jan. 27 2010
J. Ward "J Ward" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
It took me a while to actually get into this book, then I found her Italian experience interesting, probably because I'm Italian, but once she landed in India, I had a hard time reading all that crap!! and it just went on and on and on...
Need I say more, I did not finish the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and a "made ya think" kind of book...., Feb. 7 2008
Gives you food for thought on the three areas of your life: spiritual, physical (pleasure) and emotional. It's a bit of an upper class white woman's take on things, but I think the pages were filled with joy and inspiration. A hopeful, feel good memoir worth a read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Self Indulgent, Sept. 14 2010
Didn't like it at all. A journey into navel-gazing with a self-absorbed, whining author.

CDN$ 17.00 CDN$ 12.27