Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on January 2, 2009
I am mystified as to why this book is such a best seller. I actually saved this book to read during my Christmas holiday and was extremely disappointed. Several times, I wanted to give up but decided to stay open minded and read the entire book. But, overall I found Ms. Gilbert to be an unlikeable character which ruined the book for me.
on April 29, 2010
I will not see the movie when it comes out as I do not wish to support any more of Ms Gilbert's profits. I was under the erroneous assumption that I would gain something personal from the book; something with which to identify. While the Italian component was a bit fun to read and held a bit of "wish I was there" for me, the India section dragged on painfully. Gilbert makes a point of name dropping her numerous wealthy friends who were there for her. Gilbert had a family support as well as many friends on whom she could rely. She was never left to her own defenses. As the pages turned, I began to expect yet another of Gilbert's successful friends to come up in her story. The book is far more about her connections to a very priviledged society rather than about finding herself in the real world - of being left to fend for yourself and feeling completely alone with very limited funds. And, all is well for Gilbert, because once again she has someone to rely on - her fairy tale ending with a new romance, and, yes, lots of money to do and travel as she wishes.
on November 17, 2010
The story is about this woman going through a 30-something life crisis and the journey she decides to go on to find herself. If you like the idea of being privy to every single rambling thought of someone going through this type of life crisis then you are in for a real treat with this book, if not, then you are out of luck. I belong to the second group, so this book was a real chore to read. I think this book would have been more readable if she cut down on the word count, as there was extra information in there that didn't really add to the story but seemed to distract from it.
on July 22, 2010
This book took me a couple of months to finish. I really don't know how so many people can love it. Italy was tolerable, because I like Italy and I learned a little bit about it. India was just painful. Indonesia was ok because I knew the book was almost done. I thought she came across as very selfish and annoying. I think so many women love it because she ate without guilt and a lot of women want to travel and escape their boring lives.
on September 8, 2010
Hello, I was very excitied to read this book and watch the movie, I have not YET seen the movie...
The first part of the book was indeed great, and good story. The second section was terrible, do not read it...I was very disappointed, flipped through most of it. The third section you will need to flip through about half of it.

The problem with the book is it is a chick-lit, AND an encylopedia, we are not looking for the encylopedia portion with this book, the section on india was TOO spiritual, TOO fact based and if you are not into the meaning behind yoga, and indian culture, this is not a section for you to read.

I have heard of several women who did not like the book for many reasons including mine...A GREAT book you should read is "A TOTAL WASTE OF MAKEUP" amazing, and there is a second book out now in the series....anyways back to my disappointing review of Eat, Pray and LOVE....

A book can be about a life journey and what you DID to make a difference in your life and thus, create a change, but this was just a complete let down...I still will RENT the movie now, and I know it will definately be better....
on July 22, 2008
What a self-indulgent, self-important book and author! Children are withdrawn and shy until she speaks to them. She causes the blind to see, the lame to walk. Give me a break. While reading of some people's sincere path toward enlightenment can make for great literature, this book reads more like a slacker's guide to making yourself the centre of the known universe.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon April 13, 2008
Driven to despair by a punishing divorce and an anguished love affair, Gilbert is left in a state of depression. In an attempt to get her life back on tract she goes to Italy to learn the language and revel in their cuisine, to India to meditate in an ashram, and to Bali Indonesia to reconnect with a healer that she had previous contact with.

This novelist journalist chronicles her intrepid quest for spiritual healing throughout her year of travels, documenting a memoir of her journey and experiences in order to find balance in her life. Not everyone will relate or agree in her methods. Gilbert's over descriptive narrative can be boring at times as she talks a lot about nothing. This book is shallow and superficial, a ranting tale of a self absorbed person running off and escaping reality in the hope of finding oneself in other cultures. This may appeal to dreamers and rich immature adults wanting a reason to escape; very few have the luxury to travel the world for a year. Is this fiction or fact? I find it hard to believe it received so many positive reviews.
on September 7, 2010
I found the book to be very shallow. The woman is completely self-absorbed in her life. There are worse things that happen to people and don't only think about themselves "groceries".
on March 28, 2008
After all the reviews and hype I was anxious to read this book. I liked the title and thought it would be interesting to go along with the author's journey of self discovery, but as the voyage progressed I found myself drowning in her expression of self love, self importance or in physchoanalysis terms 'regression into adolescent sexual behavior'(webster's dictionary) If the story had been edited into half or two thirds of the length it might have worked. While some passages were quite poetic and lovely, they were few and far between. Geneally I found it too narcissistic, self absorbed and egocentric.
on July 20, 2010
Eat, Pray, Love is a memoir of the author, written in three distinct sections. The author embarks on a "spiritual" journey through the world: to Italy, India and Bali. In Italy she eats. In India she prays. And in Bali she has a lot of sex.

Personally I did not enjoy Eat, Pray, Love at all. It is imperative to identify with the author in order to enjoy her story. I could not, on any level, feel any sort of kinship with her. First of all, a divorce and a failed love affair did not seem to warrant the type of misery the author felt - but to each their own. But mostly, what I disliked was that at the end of all that hoopla she really had any growth. That if her next relationship ended in heartbreak, she would be better equipped to handle it.

I sort of enjoyed the "Eat" part - with the description of Italy and the food. "Pray" part was okay - I liked some of the descriptions of different meditative techniques. The "Love" part was, for me, the worst. I did not learn anything new or interesting from reading this at all; nothing new about Italy, India or Bali. I also did not feel that the author fully understood the cultures of the countries she visited, especially India and Bali.

Elizabeth Gilbert is an excellent writer and her prose is lovely. I know it is her memoir but she spent so much time on introspection that none of the other characters in her life were fleshed out at all.

Overall, I do not recommend Eat, Pray, Love; however, I know of many who found some commonality with the author and themselves and enjoyed the book.