5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent mystery and a fascinating character study.
Published on April 22 2001 by E. Bukowsky

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a great mystery
This was my first Inspector Banks book and I was really let down. I got
tired of the trips to the pub, the landscape and also Banks trying to
continually light his pipe!!!! The characters were O.K. but not really
too interesting and by the end I was skipping pages. I will try another
one and hope for better.
Published on Nov. 14 2007 by Carol Paterson

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent mystery and a fascinating character study., April 22 2001
E. Bukowsky "booklover10" (NY United States) - See all my reviews
Peter Robinson is that most rare of mystery writers. He is not satisfied with a corpse, a detective and some clues. Robinson creates a complete world with three-dimensional characters who come alive for the reader. In "A Dedicated Man," the shrewd and dogged Detective Chief Inspector Alan Banks investigates the death of Harry Steadman. Harry was a former university professor, a man with no enemies who studied local history for fun. Yet someone hated Harry enough to brutally murder him and dump his body in the Yorkshire dales. For quite a while, Banks is completely stymied. He questions Harry's widow and his small circle of friends, but Banks makes little progress. Only after relentless digging and after the death of a second victim does Banks come up with the solution to the crime. It turns out that Harry's life and those of his friends are not as straightforward and uncomplicated as they had at first seemed. What is wonderful about Robinson is that he makes police work look as tedious and difficult as it really is. It is clear that without relentless and time-consuming detective work on the part of Banks and his colleagues, they would solve few crimes. Robinson, along with Rendell and James, is a superb writer of novels that also happen to be first-rate mysteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robinson Does It Again!, Jan. 29 2000
Fans of Peter Robinson's "Inspector Banks" mysteries will not be disappointed in "A Dedicated Man." The author presents us with another host of interesting characters, any of which could be the evil-doer. The most complex of all is Banks, and we are given more insights into his psyche and his home life. Robinson's wonderful descriptions of Yorkshire and its people make me feel as though I were there, having a pint in the local. This is a very good story that keeps you guessing to the very end why anyone would want to kill "The Dedicated Man." I highly recommend this to new readers of the Banks mysteries as well as to the already addicted reader.

4.0 out of 5 stars A dedicated policeman, June 18 2001
Carol Peterson Hennekens (Colorado Springs, CO United States) - See all my reviews
Second books are often a bit like second musical albums after big debuts. Good, but somehow lacking the magic of the first effort. That's how I feel about "A Dedicated Man". I really debated between giving it three or four stars.
It easily earns three stars as an least average British police procedural. The writing is competent. The clues (or lack thereof) all make sense in in the end. It gets another half star for its many thoughtful observations of the Yorkshire environment - both the landscape and the mentality of the people. I'm pretty much rounding up the score after that. I like Banks and plan to keep reading the series which has received considerable praise in recent years. Still, I haven't found anything so fascinating that I'm going to recommending the book or series to friends---yet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a great mystery, Nov. 14 2007
Carol Paterson (N. Vancouver, B.C. Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: A Dedicated Man (Audio Cassette)
This was my first Inspector Banks book and I was really let down. I got
tired of the trips to the pub, the landscape and also Banks trying to
continually light his pipe!!!! The characters were O.K. but not really
too interesting and by the end I was skipping pages. I will try another
one and hope for better.

A Dedicated Man
A Dedicated Man by Peter Robinson (Paperback - May 23 2006)
CDN$ 18.00 CDN$ 13.00