Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store Fall Tools Cook

Prisoner of Tehran: A Memoir
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$14.25+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(4 star)show all reviews
I read this book for a book club meeting I plan to attend.

I had heard, a long time ago, that reading biographies is a good way to learn about history. Just to clarify that statement, I beleive they should be biographies about people that had a part in history. I don't normally read biographies about actors or athletes. I like to read biographies about people who made history or were a part of it.

That is why I liked this book. It is a real person. She lived through an expereince that I would wish on no one. It was part of history that we had not heard that too much of. There were few people who could.

The authour had two purposes in this novel. One is tell her story. We all have a story to tell. Some people have a better strory to tell, some can tell a story better. This author can do both. This is a story that needs to be told and we have a storyteller that can tell a story. So many people who try to tell their story, can't tell it properly. It is such a boon to the reader when both are achieved.

The other purpose is that the author had to tell this story. I don't know why talking about our bad experiences makes us feel better. The author needed to tell us her story for her own piece of mind. And for the hundreds of women that could not.

The story had what I expected, torture and executions. There were a few twists that I did not expect. But there had to be for the author to survive a prison for political prisoners in Iran after the revolution.

I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in history, especially 20th century. I liked the book.
on March 19, 2015
Well written story that really gives you insight into how much things changed in Iran after Ayatollah Khomeini came into power. Hard to imagine what it would be like to have your life, your country, your world change so radically but Marina Nemat does a great job of giving you an inside look. A courageous woman, I admire her not only for her strength in living through what she did but also for having the courage to share her story with the world. It's an important story and one that should be heard.
on December 27, 2010
Prisoner of Tehran was a telling memoir by a woman showing great courage in sharing her story. The realities she faced in Iran were a harsh expose of the brutalities imposed on innocent civilians. Many times my heart ached for the sorrow and loss she endured, as well as the many other men and women in Iran living under tyranny. Marina Nemat carries a message the world needs to hear.
on November 15, 2014
Well written and informative. Easy read.