5.0 out of 5 stars The Thrive Diet is a Gift
The Thrive Diet is a gift - a gift to yourself and your commitment to live a better quality life. I am so grateful that Brendan has taken the time to share his deep experiences and knowledge with us in his new book.

The Thrive Diet is a solution for many ailments that we encounter on a daily basis from living on this stressful planet. He is keenly aware of and...
Published on March 20 2007 by Arjan Khalsa

3.0 out of 5 stars Good info.
Decent book on how to use a vegan diet to improve your overall health and with an emphasis on tips for athletes on the best foods to eat pre and post workouts. Lots of good info.
Published 15 months ago by Kathy Harding

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, July 30 2007
This review is from: The Thrive Diet: The Whole Food Way to Losing Weight, Reducing Stress, and Staying Healthy for Life (Paperback)
I learned a lot from this book and tried a lot of the recipes. This book started me on the path to unintentionally following a mostly vegan diet. I started making changes to my diet (I was a meat eater) and my cravings and tastes for certain foods just changed. I just didn't want to eat meat anymore and I found myself craving veggies, fruit, nut based recipes etc. I no longer crave really sugary sweet things and I have always had an incredibly sweet tooth.

Some of my favourite recipes:

Chocolate Almond Smoothie (with carob powder)
Cucumber Pesto Salad
Tomato Basil Dressing
Vegetable Crackers

Although I love this book and highly recommend it, I do not solely follow the Thrive Diet. I did need a bit more variety in my diet so I use other vegan cook books and follow the vegan food guide from another book (to make sure I get all the daily requirements etc).

4.0 out of 5 stars Thrive Diet, Feb. 24 2009
Jennifer Dorval-pecarski (Canada) - See all my reviews
Difficult to find a lot of the ingredients for a small town dweller such as myself. Felt hungry too quite a bit in between meals. Food tastes good just have to get used to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic!, Feb. 4 2009
K. Gwendalina Langlois (Canada) - See all my reviews
This book offers a lot of informations regarding the food we are eating. It demonstrates why sometimes we do not have as much energy as we expect even if we are eating "good things" and training a lot. The reason is stress. Everything causes stress in our life, even food. The Thrive diet explains what we should eat to obtain more energy by eating(sometimes)less. The key is to eat what don't requires much energy to digest. The Thrive diet gives simple recipes to create and that gives a lot of good energy. I did not follow the 12 weeks meal plan, but there are a lot of recipe really good. There is a couple that does not suit me, but everbody is different!
Sincerely, I really enjoyed (and still enjoy!) this book since there are lots of good tips, good recipes and interesting information.
I recommand to buy this book, you will not regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent dietary reference, April 23 2011
Brendan Brazier is a guy who walks the talk. He's proven that his dietary recommendations work. According to his own words, the only reason he eats the way he does is BECAUSE it works. When he started looking for the best dietary habits for the sake of acheiving his athletic, he was willing to eat anything. For him, the additonal ethical and environmental benefits of the diet are totally beside the point. ... which is good to know when human health is your goal! Brazier's book is a great all-purpose reference, everything you need all in one handy book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST!, March 12 2011
G. Brunet "musicaliac" (Montreal, QC) - See all my reviews
This is a must read. As a former olympian (4th in olympic cycling road race in 1988), I think this is one of the best nutrition book around. It is not about performance, it is about health which in turn produces a well functioning body.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Thrive Diet, June 3 2010
Luba Zagurak (Canada) - See all my reviews
It's not another diet book. It's a 'how you can achieve optimal health' book.
Ironman Triathelete Brendan Brazier has put together an excellent long-term eating plan based on nutrient dense plant-based whole foods. Weather or not you are an athelete or a Vegan, this book tells everyone how they can achieve optimal health through nutrition.

Fasinating reading about stess, Ph, hydration, exercise plus a 12 week meal-plan and shopping list to get you started.
Definitely worth it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book but....., Sept. 30 2008
It is a good book, with good recipes in it. But with the Creamy Ginger Dressing there must be a misprint - there is no way that recipe makes 1 1/2 cups. Also, for the Energy bars it says 'they become easier to handle as they dry' but dry where? you don't use a dehydrator - so I am guessing you leave them on the counter? All in all it is a good nutritional book with some yummy recipes! He should have included his Rejuvenator Brownies - those are good!!! Also, I can't find an email address anywhere so I can ask questions about the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend Read, July 18 2011
Under Ether - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I picked up this book because as a vegan I wasn't always sure I'm getting all the nutrients that I should be. This book is really informative and helpful. Most of the recipes I've tried have been really good, although I think a dehydrator would work better for some things. A couple of the recipes didn't work at all, but it might just something I have to work at to get them right. I really like how the recipes don't call for a lot of ingrediants, and a lot of them have similar ingrediants, which is really nice since I don't have a lot of money to spend on food each week, and I find being a vegan already can be expensive. My one complaint would be some recipes have high fat and calorie content, due to the coconut oil, hemp oil, and nuts used in a majority of the recipes. The raw burgers (2 patties) are over 1000 calories. Not an issue if you are an athlete, but since I'm always wary of excess calories, it's something to make note of. Otherwise a really great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars ecxcellent, June 3 2011
Heather Pearson "Heather" (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
For the past several summers, I have volunteered at a series of running races, The ENDURrun, which is attended by a variety of elite runners. During the course of the week, they run seven races over some very challenging terrain, covering a total distance of 160 kms.

The greatest challenge of the week is feeding these runners in such a manner that they can recover quickly and run again the next day. Add to this task that at least several of the runners have dietary restrictions such as vegetarian/vegan, lactose intolerance etc.

Author Brendan Brazier is himself a vegan who mostly relies on a raw food diet to supply his nutritional needs. He is recognized as one of the world's foremost authorities on plant based nutrition.

I first heard about raw food cooking for a race participant last summer. While reading this book, I was fascinated to learn that in almost every incidence, raw vegetables are much easier to digest than cooked food (exception starchy potatoes and sweet potatoes).

In the first chapter, Mr. Brazier clearly explains why eating nutrient dense foods, such as vegetables, are important to our overall health. It's not the number of calories we eat, but whether we are eating foods that are packed with the micro-nutrients that our bodies crave.

For the past few weeks I have been discussing this book with my teenage son who is an amateur body builder. Food and protein is very important to him. I am a runner and fencer and have different energy demands. We are looking forward to trying a number of recipes that are directly aimed at the sports minded reader.

Lemon-Lime Sports Drink - contains coconut water which is perfect for electrolyte replacement
Sunflower Seed Hemp Milk - This was easy to make and tasted great.
Ginger Pear Smoothie - daughter and I enjoyed sharing this. More ginger next time.
Green Energy Bars - Looking forward to trying both these bars and hope they will replace the store bought bars that are usually less than appealing.
Walnut Cranberry Energy Bars -

As for the upcoming running races, I am planning on having ground flax seeds and hemp seeds on hand for inclusion in the post race smoothies.

This book is jam packed full of nutritional information that is relevant even to non-vegetarians. To learn more about this approach to eating, check out Brendan earlier books The Thrive Diet and Thrive Fitness. You can also sign up for Brendan's free Thrive in 30 .

5.0 out of 5 stars Go Vegan!, Jan. 14 2009
J. A. Canty "puntomisterioso" (Montreal, PQ Canada) - See all my reviews
When I first wanted to go vegan I wasn't too sure how to go about it while ensuring that I get all the required nutrients. The Thrive Diet changed my life for the better by informing me clearly and simply about what I needed to maintain a balanced diet. I was also able to learn about raw foods and their digestibility.

This book provides you with a 12-week meal plan to get you started off, as well as some excellent exercise complimentary snacks. I never thought that going vegan could be this simple and I was able to gain a lot of insight about the importance of our food choices and their impact on all aspects of our lives.

One of the most important topics the author discusses is that of stress and I can tell you from experience that applying the Thrive Diet to your life does alleviate a lot of stress in your body and mind. I have never felt so great in my life and I am not an athlete. I do moderate physical activity and I do see the enormous impact this diet has had on my life.

The Thrive Diet is not so much of a diet as it is a way of life. It's a must-read for anyone looking for self-improvement, stress relief and a healthier life.

CDN$ 24.00 CDN$ 17.33