5.0 out of 5 stars Most enjoyable read of 2001, best satire I've ever read
Originally published in Canada under the title "Generica," a term coined (as far as I know) by Douglas Coupland, denoting the nation-state of flourescent signage, chain restaurants, malls and factory outlet stores that surrounds most US cities.
Published on April 18 2002 by Alex Cruise

3.0 out of 5 stars meh
Published on May 13 2010 by Carrie

5.0 out of 5 stars Most enjoyable read of 2001, best satire I've ever read, April 18 2002
Alex Cruise (Vancouver, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Happiness (Hardcover)
Having been introduced to Will by my sister, who pestered me for years to read "Why I Hate Canadians," I became a rapid fan of Will's non-fiction and bought this as soon as I saw it on the shelf. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, which although it might leave a little to be desired as a novel, succeeds wildly as a satire.

3.0 out of 5 stars meh, May 13 2010
This review is from: Happiness: or Generica (Paperback)
The book was ok. Easy to read, great concept and fairly entertaining. For sure it offers food for thought, no doubt there. Loved the inside view of the book publishing world as well. But I found the book became a bit stale mid-way through, I never really cared too much about the characters and after a while, I felt that the main character was trying to convince me to accept the main premise. I don't want to feel like I'm actively being convinced when I read... I prefer that the book says what it has to say and it is up to me to decide how I feel and think. Maybe in sum I feel like the author tried a little too hard...?

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good read!, Sept. 10 2003
This review is from: Happiness: or Generica (Paperback)
This was a wonderful novel that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. It's witty, smart, and thought provoking as it explores the true meaning of happiness and humanity's obsession to attain it. The main character, Edwin De Valu, is very much the anti-hero, average editor of publishing company Panderic Inc. The narrative is sharp and keeps you going to the very last page- a definite must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Age Shnew Age, April 16 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Happiness (Hardcover)
We all yearn to be happy. We want to glow with self-confidence and calm, taking all the niggles of life in our stride.
Imagine you are floating away from your worries, going to a place where you feel relaxed. Can you describe that place?
...often this magical state of happiness looks like the end of the rainbow - we can see it, but we can't get to it.
And maybe we just should leave it that way?
Or should we "pop a magic pill" and be happy ever after?
The question is: do You want to BE happy?

5.0 out of 5 stars Another awesome book from Ferguson, Aug. 21 2003
Sarah (Calgary, Alberta) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Happiness (Mass Market Paperback)
Could Will Ferguson get any funnier? I have to admit, as a long time Ferguson fan, I was certain he wouldn't be able to transfer his wit to the fiction genre. I was thrilled to find myself proved wrong. Happiness proves Ferguson is damn funny, whether he's skewering policitians or publishers. Buy this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Eh..., May 7 2005
This review is from: Happiness: or Generica (Paperback)
That "eh" wasn't any type of the Canadian "eh" noises Will and Ian Ferguson describe in How To Be A Canadian, which is a much, much funnier book. Happiness was an OK read. Not fabulous, but not indigestible either. Just... eh. I think Will Ferguson should just stick to nonfiction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny Satire, March 24 2013
This review is from: Happiness: or Generica (Paperback)
Easy to read and amusing although the ending was a bit anticlimactic for me. You will need an open mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, April 16 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Happiness Tm (Paperback)
I just love this book. I read it several times. It's so true and very funny. Give it a try and find your true Happiness.

Happiness: or Generica
Happiness: or Generica by Will Ferguson (Paperback - Sept. 11 2007)
CDN$ 18.00 CDN$ 13.00