march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 18, 2002
Originally published in Canada under the title "Generica," a term coined (as far as I know) by Douglas Coupland, denoting the nation-state of flourescent signage, chain restaurants, malls and factory outlet stores that surrounds most US cities.
Having been introduced to Will by my sister, who pestered me for years to read "Why I Hate Canadians," I became a rapid fan of Will's non-fiction and bought this as soon as I saw it on the shelf. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, which although it might leave a little to be desired as a novel, succeeds wildly as a satire.
on May 13, 2010
The book was ok. Easy to read, great concept and fairly entertaining. For sure it offers food for thought, no doubt there. Loved the inside view of the book publishing world as well. But I found the book became a bit stale mid-way through, I never really cared too much about the characters and after a while, I felt that the main character was trying to convince me to accept the main premise. I don't want to feel like I'm actively being convinced when I read... I prefer that the book says what it has to say and it is up to me to decide how I feel and think. Maybe in sum I feel like the author tried a little too hard...?
on September 10, 2003
This was a wonderful novel that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. It's witty, smart, and thought provoking as it explores the true meaning of happiness and humanity's obsession to attain it. The main character, Edwin De Valu, is very much the anti-hero, average editor of publishing company Panderic Inc. The narrative is sharp and keeps you going to the very last page- a definite must read.
on August 21, 2003
Could Will Ferguson get any funnier? I have to admit, as a long time Ferguson fan, I was certain he wouldn't be able to transfer his wit to the fiction genre. I was thrilled to find myself proved wrong. Happiness proves Ferguson is damn funny, whether he's skewering policitians or publishers. Buy this book.
on May 7, 2005
That "eh" wasn't any type of the Canadian "eh" noises Will and Ian Ferguson describe in How To Be A Canadian, which is a much, much funnier book. Happiness was an OK read. Not fabulous, but not indigestible either. Just... eh. I think Will Ferguson should just stick to nonfiction.
on April 16, 2002
We all yearn to be happy. We want to glow with self-confidence and calm, taking all the niggles of life in our stride.
Imagine you are floating away from your worries, going to a place where you feel relaxed. Can you describe that place?
...often this magical state of happiness looks like the end of the rainbow - we can see it, but we can't get to it.
And maybe we just should leave it that way?
Or should we "pop a magic pill" and be happy ever after?
The question is: do You want to BE happy?
on March 24, 2013
Easy to read and amusing although the ending was a bit anticlimactic for me. You will need an open mind.
on April 16, 2006
I just love this book. I read it several times. It's so true and very funny. Give it a try and find your true Happiness.