5.0 out of 5 stars You CAN buy experience. . .
Published on Nov. 22 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars A Motivational Speech Minus the Motivation
I bought this book thinking that it would offer tips and strategies pertaining to how to begin investing, planning for future and retirement, or even just how to better understand financial jargon. It offered none of the above.
Published on Aug. 7 2002 by evilscrunchie

1.0 out of 5 stars A Motivational Speech Minus the Motivation, Aug. 7 2002
The book details (repeatedly) how women grow up thinking some man is going to come along and take care of them. Sure, I get that. The book is, after all, called "Prince Charming Isn't Coming". Ok, so I get it in chapter one. Why then is the author still going on about societal brainwash and female dependancy halfway through the book? We, the readers, are still stuck on the same lesson started on page one! I found that frustrating and condescending.
Instead of educating the reader about IPOs, Stock Mutual Funds, IRAs, or even general budgeting techniques, the reader is dragged through murky and irrelevant topics such as the psychological stages of learning: Unconscious Incompetence, Conscious Competence, Unconscious Competence, and Conscious Competence. Hmm... thought this was a book on money, not psychology!
Perhaps most infuriating is the assumption that the reader, a woman, will not be able to comprehend anything that a financial pro might say to her. For example, this charming passage insinuates that even the author, daughter of one of the founders of H&R Block and the 'guide' who is leading us through this 'journey' needs to have it 'dumbed-down'.
"Sometimes when I met with financial professionals, I brought my statement along. 'This is a very conservative portfolio,' they would say. I had no idea what that meant. They would patiently explain everything, but their words, like rising steam from a boiling kettle, floated right over my head."
The only saving grace of this book, in my opinion, is the Resource Guide in the back of the book, where the author tells you where you can find information that will actually be useful.
I strongly recommend against this book if you're looking for solid information and trying to learn about the world of financial planning and investing.

5.0 out of 5 stars You CAN buy experience. . ., Nov. 22 1999
By A Customer
I have had this book for two hours. My husband has been trying to get me to take over the chequebook and I have been sticking my head in the sand-- knowing how much we need and what is going out and coming in has been depressing. I read Barbara's first chapter and asked for all the information on our finances which he gladly gave to me. I will be up all night sorting this mess out and instead of feeling safe in my ignorance, I feel a huge burden lifting as I am becoming informed as I begin to untangle things.
Barbara's most valuable degree is the one that she got from her gilded life and then being forced into the University of Hard Knocks. She is forthright and direct in her writing approach and shows how anyone can suffer from ignorance and benefit by finding out about things that directly affect them-- and to never trust lawyer ex husbands!
I am so thankful that I bought this wonderful book and for her exposing the emotional side that I wasn't aware that I was dealing with in confronting monetary issues. Thank you, thank you Ms Stanny!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wealth of financial advice for women., Dec 12 1997
By A Customer
Balancing my checkbook makes me crabby. The
word "investment" gives me cramps. Fortunately,
*Prince Charming Isn't Coming* is the perfect
panacea for women who suffer from financial
phobia and monetary pain.
Barbara Stanny's book is worth reading! Her
advice is grounded in experience, which makes
it valuable. She shares how her own fiscal
disaster led to her financial self-education.
Now she is educating others.

Financial wisdom is an essential goal for all
women, insists Stanny. She identifies "The
Seven Realizations of Financial Enlightenment,"
priceless insights that serve as the basis for
her motivational money guide. The book
includes sound investment advice, great
resources and fundamental reasons for why
we should take charge of our financial situation.

Before reading *Prince Charming Isn't Coming,*
the only stock market I shopped was a local
grocery store. Halfway through the book, I
was perusing Wall Street Journals, browsing
the web for investment sites, and correctly
distinguishing between Peter and David Lynch.

"When a woman...makes financial decisions
based on who she is, not on what she should
do, and when she acts firmly and confidently
on those decisions, then she becomes a very
powerful woman," Stanny writes.

Power,eh? I like that.

*Prince Charming Isn't Coming* is more than a
financial fairytale, but it has a happy ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading!, June 26 2000
By A Customer
I'm not sure how she did it, but by the time I finished reading *Prince Charming Isn't Coming*, I was inspired to pull my head out of the sand and start paying attention to my money. There was no "a-ha!" moment, nor did any lightbulbs go off over my head, but I now feel more confident about investing and have started reading financial magazines. Joan Rivers points out that others may be smarter about money than you, but no one will care more about your money than YOU will. That stuck with me. This is definitely a book for beginners, but Barbara has a list of suggested reading, as well as some organizations worth looking into at the end of the book. I highly recommend this book to any woman who has always let her husband (or some other man) take care of the finances for her. If the women profiled in the book can become successful investors, so can you!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Useful and Engaging Guide, Dec 3 1997
The key strength of Stanny's book is that
it empowers women of all means to take control
of their financial destinies and does so in an
engaging and personal style. It offers the
right skills and attitudes for women to adopt
in a way that is a pleasure to read.

The heart of the book is her Seven
Realizations of Financial Enlightenment, which
provide a path to financial empowerment, but
you'll enjoy reading about her personal
journey from financial ignorance to financial
strength.
There is a quiz in the book that is very
useful in determining your personal financial
situation. This is a well
written book and you'll come away liking the
author - her compassion shines through her
clear prose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got Smart, Nov. 23 2002
By A Customer
I read the book and I read the reviews. Would like to add that today's generation of women don't need this book. It was written to address those who grew up in a generation when men's and women's roles were categorically divided and there was no blurring of gender roles.
Many of us aren't so ancient. In our forties or older, but we are out there and Barbara Stanny addresses this large portion of the population. We are single, divorced or widowed and suddenly faced with educating ourselves about issues today's women grew up learning about. Lucky you.
Thanks, Barbara for your insightful and helpful book that is meant only as a door opener. And it does that beautifully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who Needs Prince Charming, April 11 2000
DeValerie Ward (Birmingham, Alabama) - See all my reviews
This has been an excellent reading experience for me. I have gained valuable insight into the world of managing money. Barbara has written the book such that anyone regardless of income or knowledge level can benefit and grow. I feel so much better knowing that I am not the only women out there with fears about money management and investing. I truly appreciate the reference section and the suggested reading. I have recommended this book to all my friends and family. My future is looking so much brighter now thanks to the information presented in this book. I feel empowered!
Thanks Barbara!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's great., Dec 12 1997
By A Customer
"Prince Charming Isn't Coming", is captivating. Stanny's personal experiences are engaging, and her "Seven Realizations of Financial Enlightenment" is a process that all women should go through and learn from. What I really liked about this book is that it gives the reader a resource guide at the end. A list of sources that one could use to continue the journey of taking control of one's finances.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Eye-Opener, July 16 1999
By A Customer
Reading "Prince Charming Isn't Coming.." encouraged me to look beyond the veil of the myth that someone else would take care of financial matters for me and discover that saving and investing for the future can be a rewarding and empowering experience. Stanny's honesty and personal story gave me the courage to take positive action...step by step.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Growing Money, Nov. 2 1999
I plan to give this book as a Christmas gift to all of my women friends. Stanny's wisdom has helped me become thrifty and realize that women who have control of their finances take the time to learn about investing and don't wait for a man to do it for them. Successful women are money managers, not careless spenders.

Prince Charming Isn't Coming: How Women Get Smart About Money
Prince Charming Isn't Coming: How Women Get Smart About Money by Barbara Stanny (Paperback - April 24 2007)
CDN$ 18.50 CDN$ 13.36