Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

on June 4, 2009
I was skeptical about this book when I first picked it up a few years ago. Some of the criticisms are fair: 'that there is a lot of "emotion" throughout, plus an emphasis on simplicity, ecological awareness, community involvement, and an overall re-evalutaion of our consumer habits. Plus, at the start, you have to do a lot of work. 'I know this may be "too much" for some people.

HOWEVER! If you want to start "Making a LIVING" for yourself, instead of "Making a Dying" (as the authors put it) then there is no better place to start than with this program. And it is a PROGRAM, like you would do in a college-level course, not just "helpful tips" for saving pennies in a jar.

The first few steps require a bit of memory, a bit of digging, a bit of math (basic addition and subtraction), a bit of organization and A LOT OF SOUL SEARCHING.

Once you understand what the program is REALLY about, that is, figuring out "How many of your (precious! finite!) LIFE HOURS do you give away in exchange for (very little) money" then the other steps become mostly a matter of tracking and organization, customizing as suits your needs.

And, I KNOW at first it seems impossible, unrealistic and downright painful, but please believe me when I tell you that it is very, very worth doing these steps, especially the first few, to the best of your ability. You don't have to do it all perfectly, it's just about doing the best you can, so that you can get a TRUE, HONEST and CLEAR understanding of your past and present attitudes about money.

I have been doing "the program" for exactly 1 year as of today. And I am not ashamed to post here on the internet for all to see that in this ONE YEAR I have radically changed my views on my money, my career and my life's purpose'; I am debt-free; AND have added more than $17,000 to my savings '' and I should add that I don't even have a full-time job! And I live very, very well.

Some people have posted here that the current economy has changed the reality of Bonds since the book was written. That may be true, and I don't think anybody has the answers for those big questions that are beyond the control of ordinary people. Nobody knows what is going to happen.

What I CAN control, however, is where I CHOOSE to spend the money I DO have, IF I CHOOSE TO SPEND IT AT ALL. After all, many people don't realize that you are "ALLOWED" to keep as much of your own money as you want for yourself! This was a huge revelation to me: It's not how much you MAKE, it's how much you KEEP that matters! (OK, so you don't need a book to tell you to spend less than you earn, but this book explores that issue in depth, and it is very eye-opening.)

A few other detractors have jumped to the conclusion that the book is too "liberal", too "new age", too "tree-huggy" or too "scrimp-and-save." Look: You don't HAVE to do ALL the things the authors suggest, like volunteer or live like a renunciate'. They are just presenting the issues from a values framework that many, many people would LOVE to embrace, but they feel they "can't afford to."

At age 40, I am far from rich (too many years in school!), but let me tell you JUST ONE THING: having a full year's salary safely stored in the bank, changes EVERYTHING about my working life.' ' Going to work is soooo much more pleasant now, knowing I don't HAVE to be there just to pay off some old debt for some piece of junk I no longer use or own or even remember. My work has become a joy and a delight. I feel sorry for people who have that old bumper sticker on their car that says "I owe, I owe, so off to work I go" '' Ha, ha, ha, very funny, suckers!

If you learn ONE thing from this book, it should be this: "THERE IS MORE TO LIFE THAN 9 to 5"

I hope that by posting this, I will have convinced someone, somewhere that they can take charge of their money' and get their LIFE back. Try it, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE AND EVERYTHING TO GAIN.

PS: The authors would tell you to borrow it from the library, but really you need your own copy so you can flag pages and make notes, and hopefully refer back to when you need some advice! Get it second hand!
on January 14, 2012
If you already know the basics of the simple living movement than you don't really need this book. I found that much of the information I got from the book I already knew - i.e. to have money, just don't spend it! The book also feels a bit outdated as our society has really focussed on the economy and the environmental impacts of our actions in the last few years. Being frugal seems to be "in" again (at least in my circle of family and friends) and that's what this book is basically about - frugality.

It wasn't all bad though! The book did help me get some introspection into my life - I did like the idea of adding up all of the money you have made so far in your life to see what you have to show for it. I also liked the idea of finding your "real" hourly wage and comparing everything you spend money on to that wage to see if it's really worth purchasing. I.e. I make about 10$ an hour after all is said and done so when I, for example, buy a $20 shirt I've just spent 2 hours of my life working just to own this shirt - is it worth it? I now ask myself that questions whenever I go to buy anything - is this worth X hours of my time? The book did also change my spending patterns - I now buy more music and less clothing since I focus on the maximum value for my dollar. I.e. music makes me happy longer than an article of clothing does.

Now, what I'd really like, is a book that tells me how to get my wages up to equal the rising cost of living..
on September 8, 2014
Vicki Robin speaks with good authority and provides some excellent reflections on the meaning of money in our lives. It has been a topic of great interest to me, and I have read many books on the subject. These CD's are easy to listen to and profound in their wisdom.
on April 20, 2014
Very informative and educational. An excellent wake-up to the consumer driven world we are all stuck in. Half way through chapter one I began changing the way I viewed purchasing.
on February 4, 2014
Everyone needs the clear perspective provided in this piece of insightful writing.

Similar to the great book: "Debt is Slavery," but more detailed and conceptually expansive.

Everyone can benefit from reading and implementing the concepts in this amazing book!
on May 23, 2014
Very nice book. A lot of new ideas and useful tips. Help me to come to financial independence.
Great book!
on May 8, 2015
Excellent. I can see why it's a classic - once you're ready to 'hear' this, it seems obvious and natural.
on October 11, 2015
Great, insightful book which can be applied to real life immediately! Glad I picked it up.
on June 30, 2015
delivered fast, good read
on December 22, 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book. I would recommend this book to anyone who is trying to get a better grip on their finances. The book gets down to our psychological relationship with money and really makes you think about whether money controls the individual or the individual controls their money. Money is simply a tool to get to better things, for example: the freedom to be a better individual or the freedom to contribute to a better society.