2.0 out of 5 stars Same as above, Feb. 8 2013
This review is from: Bullet (Mass Market Paperback)
Enough with the sex already, let's get back to what started people reading these books. Soon please or I'm gone

1.0 out of 5 stars Bullet to the brain, June 1 2010
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Bullet (Hardcover)
Ruthless murders, treachery and a potential civil war among the vampires. Can it be... plot returning to the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series?

In a word... no. Laurell K. Hamilton's infamous Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series is obviously running on fumes in its nineteenth book, "Bullet" -- she just strings along one messy subplot after another, and tacks on some magical orgies and bickering about feelings to beef it up. It's like being shoved headfirst into a steaming pot of rancid bodily-fluids.

After a dance recital that has nothing to do with ANYTHING, Asher throws a fit over the fact that everybody is getting some man-loving except him. Can't say I blame him.

The obvious solution is to talk about people's feelings, then have an S&M foursome with Richard, Anita and Jean-Claude -- which is interrupted by a pair of far more powerful vampires who are trying to destroy Anita. It seems the supervampire Marmee Noir is not quite dead, and has apparently possessed the entire Vampire Council and is preparing to attack Anita and Co.

But instead of dealing with that, Anita makes some phone calls and then starts an all-out battle with the local werelion Rex, who has annoyed her in some vague way. To make matters worse, somebody has put a contract out on Anita and her vast harem, and there's a rotting Master of the City who's causing trouble.

In theory, "Bullet" has a plot. But once you actually sit down and read it, you'll find that the "plot" is just a string of sloppy subplots that have nothing to do with each other. It's just a big, messy, incoherent stew of S&M sex, wangst, whining, sexist snipes and Anita generating new powers like a gumball dispenser.

And honestly... it's BORING. Anita and her harem just sit around playing Metaphysical Tug-o-War and occasionally chatting on the phone. Occasionally there's actual fighting, but it's very brief and usually smothered in "metaphysical" stuff. And since there's no solid central plot, Hamilton crams in lots of stuff that has nothing to do with anything else -- dance recitals, Haven's meltdown, and a very unsexy mass orgy.

Hamilton's writing is grotesquely clumsy (Anita admiring the "creamy goodness" of her "mounded" breasts), and it gets worse when she tries to be poetic ("She offered her power to us like a dark wind" -- huh?). And endless pages are devoted to Anita's boytoys' clothes, hair, and hot bodies -- but I honestly don't care what color eyes Generic Vampire #7 has or how tall WereThug #39 is.

As usual, Anita is crude, self-important, crusty and demanding -- when she isn't sitting around having effeminate bishies wait on her, she's amassing new superpowers and setting herself up to become queen of yet another werespecies. Hamilton also fumbles some of the other characters -- Asher is suddenly a whiny, vindictive jerk; Richard has become a brainwashed buttkisser, and Haven (reportedly based on Hamilton's ex-bodyguard) has become a possessive maniac.

"Bullet" is a sagging, dribbling stew of sex and supernatural powers, and Laurell K. Hamilton devotes the few flickers of plot to... whatever will happen in the next book. I can hardly wait.

3.0 out of 5 stars to much sex., June 8 2010
B . Kats (Kingston Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bullet (Hardcover)
If you take the sex out, their is not much of a story. I realy like Anita Blake books. But all-out sex, is just gettting borring now.

I was hopping after Skin Trade, as Anita was doing some real hunting in this book, things would be looking. But no.
How about some action again! Let's get Anita out Hunting the bad paranormals!
In one book she also hints about meeting Micah's family, lets me them.
I hope Laurell k. Hamilton reads some of thease reviews.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bullet by Laurell K. Hamilton, Sept. 1 2010
Bullet

DO NOT WASTE EITHER YOUR TIME OR MONEY ON THIS BOOK! I can honestly say that this is the last Laurell K. Hamilton book I will purchase or read. I enjoyed all of her books up until Incubus Dreams, this marked the turning point, as the stories became more focused on sex with multiple partners, S&M etc. and left the mystery crime fighting behind. In Bullet we see the introduction of even more sex partners, sex scenes tangled within a very weak plot. Take out all the sex and the book would have only been about 10 pages.

The only way to save the Anita Blake series is to get rid of some of the characters...stop adding new sex partners...reduce the sex scenes...and refocus on the crime fighting/mystery component which made the first 5 books in the series so interesting. Otherwise, just kill the series!

2.0 out of 5 stars Anticlimactic "And they fought, we won. Random baby angst. The End.", June 6 2010
This review is from: Bullet (Hardcover)
It's a bit of a plot vacuum. Kind of like DM and Harlequin where she has this huge lead up to a big fight and then she hit her page limit. Reminds me of my one problem with Tolkien, the gap of the violence - "and they fought, the dwarf killed 7 the elf killed 8." I'm not impressed with her reinvention of an old antagonist. Sadly no Edward. LKH still pretends like we haven't read the other books and are ignorant of the back story. So you can skim all that summary crap.
JC, and Asher finally hook up. Other than that, it was boring. A few Ensign type characters get knocked off, in which drama ensues but I would really love for Richard or someone actually important to die - just to shake things up.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, Feb. 21 2011
This review is from: Bullet (Hardcover)
There was virtually no plot, limited character development, and no suspense. The first few books in this series were excellent - creative, unique, and focused around a strong female heroine. Somewhere in the middle all that got lost, and the books have been getting progressively worse. I've kept buying them, as I keep hoping they'll get better, but after this one, I'm finished. And I find it annoying when Ms Hamilton repeats memorable phrases (eg "vampires can bench press a Toyota" is mentioned multiple times in a few of the books. Then Ms Hamilton switches from Toyotas to elephants, and repeats that phrase several times.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Biting the Bullet, June 9 2010
This review is from: Bullet (Hardcover)
Bullet, the 19th book in the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton, made parts of my recent 30+ hour road trip fly by. I always buy these books immediately when they come out, and read them in one sitting, despite sleep deprivation or social setting. Hamilton brings back characters from earlier books that I had been missing, including Jean-Claude and Asher, who despite being fairly central characters early on, had been appearing less and less often. Readers are also introduced to a fresh batch of new characters as Anita and crew are once again embroiled in Vampire/Were politics with very little say in the matter.

Many fans of the series have started to pull away, citing a lack of plot or an over abundance of sex masquerading as a storyline. I read these books like crack. It is entirely possible that I am a little biased when I say I really enjoy ever book in this series. They are one of only a few series that I make a point of buying almost immediately when a new one comes out. That being said, it does pain me a bit to admit that I agree with some of what the nay-sayers complain about. As of late, there has been a focus on Anita developing her metaphysical abilities (due to a glitch in the vampire/were/necromancer triumvirates she's a part of) through sex. However, Hamilton isn't just writing sex for sex's sake.

The novels no longer have an open and shut preternatural crime in them. The bad guys are taking longer to be developed, and the fight scenes are fewer and farther between. We are instead following along as Anita comes to terms with powers she hasn't felt comfortable using, learning to control the ardeur and warp it into a power she is able to use. Anita, and many of the main characters are forced to swallow their pride (no pun intended for those that have been following the story so far) and work together if they are going to fight the big evil.

Anita starts the series as all but virginal, and as her powers develop she is drawn into more and more sexual relationships and situations. She is become stronger and more controlled as the stories proceed towards the big evil we've been waiting for. There is a certain amount of buildup necessary, unlike the earlier books where the bad guys were discovered and taken out within the same novel.

I would like to see a bit more fighting or crime solving (though Anita isn't as popular with the police forces as she once was), instead of the crime fighting by remote that came up in this novel, but I am by no means turned off by the course of events Hamilton is taking us through in the last few books. I can see in Bullet a return to the more intricate plots that originally hooked me to this series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Will the real Anita Blake please stand up?, June 8 2010
This review is from: Bullet (Hardcover)
I don't know what I find sadder--the fact that the plot of this book, the 19th in the ongoing Anita Blake series, revolves around somehow finding ways to get Anita and many men into the bedroom, or the fact that it starts out at a recital of all things with several supernatural creatures present (a bit clumsily explained, but it's covered) with no one noticing--and all the supernaturals behaving.

Sadly, I had high hopes for "Bullet" but like many fans, I was disappointed by this offering. Read my full review on my blog at [...].

3.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Lost for Words, June 18 2010
This review is from: Bullet (Hardcover)
This book starts with Anita, and everyone she loves, watching a children's recital. We are re-introduced to many of the characters from the previous novels at this time, as they are either in the audience, or are participating in the show. From there, things get a little more intense.
If you, like me, are a fan of the first Anita Blake novels, this one might be a bit too much for you. It has a lot of sex, BDSM, m/m, m/m/f, f/f/m, and any other situation you can think of. A lot of the sex was for political means but it was still too much.
I found that this book was more of a transitional book, and I think everything was being laid out for the next book to be a plot and action driven book. This book takes place largely in the Circus of the Damned. Anita does receive a work-related call, but unfortunately she doesn't go to the area, she only is asked for her thoughts on a video feed. I really would have liked to see her out working some cases rather than watching her on her back or in other various positions throughout the book. With that said, I did like that we got to see more of the inner workings of the triumvirate, both Jean-Claude's and hers. I did find that the mens' personalities took a back seat to Anita. They seemed to be going to her for advice, rather than sticking to their opinions, or being themselves. Meanwhile, they were reassuring her about her emotional baggage. There was a lot of talk of feelings as well.
The book was not big on plot, or action, so it didn't seem that things were really going anywhere. Near the end of the book things were getting interesting, and the old Anita was starting to emerge, but she went back into hiding, and the crisis of the book was summed up in only a few short pages. Fleshed out, they would have pulled the old Anita out of hiding, and I think the book would have been more enjoyable if that had happened. However, we'll have to wait and see what will happen in the next installment.
All in all, the book was okay barring the fact that it bordered on erotica. If you are a die-hard Anita Blake fan and loved the first books, you probably won't enjoy this one as much, but if you are fine with erotica you should like it. It was a transitional book, so there was not a lot of action and that might deter readers as well. Some old characters have re-emerged, though some (say Edward) are still notoriously missing. I'll definitely be waiting for the next book in the hopes that it has a lot of fast-paced action like the early Anita books.

Disclaimer: I received this book in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks goes to Bronwyn from Penguin Canada for sending me this book to review.

Bullet
Bullet by Laurell K. Hamilton (Audio CD - June 1 2010)
Used & New from: CDN$ 24.66