5.0 out of 5 stars Best is last!
I read this book in french. It is the first part of a trilogy. This is not your "usual" thriller. The characters are very important and the author takes his time to present each one of them with the location in the first 100 pages. So the reader must not be impatient. The first book has a story in itself. The second book has the same main characters but the plot is...
Published on Sept. 14 2008 by Dragonfly

2.0 out of 5 stars What is all the Fuss About?
I heard so many good things about this trilogy that I bought all three books, hoping to read them through over the Christmas break. I had trouble getting through book 1 and may not finish the others.
I found that I disliked most of the main characters, including Blomkvist and Salander. I just didn't find them plausible or likeable. Without giving away too much,...
Published on Dec 30 2010 by Canoester

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular and Intelligently Written Book, June 10 2014
This book remains as one of my very favourite ones of all time. It is so intelligently written that it challenges other writers to match the style, character development, and plot. I read once that Larsson wrote this series for his own entertainment. I think I half-believe this statement, since he did go and drop off his manuscripts for publication, after all; but I can understand his motivation. There are simply very few books that can reach his transcendent style of writing. There are multiple layers of stories. There is the mystery of who Lisbeth Salander is and why she is so different from many other people. Then there is the layer of financial journalism, embodied in the persona of Mikael Blomkvist, which seeks to criticize the way in which major businesses and corporations mercilessly strip money out of every consumer for the sake of their own profiteering. Larsson was a passionate proponent of investigative journalism into dubious financial activities of several major corporations, and insisted that more responsible reporting be carried out to shed light on the activities of flagged organizations. His passion is eloquently expressed throughout these series and forms a plea to all humanity to see the reality of organizational behavior.

I read these books almost 5 years ago and still remember much about them. They will be one of the few that I will certainly read again in my life. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars THe Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, May 5 2014
coccotoro - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Mass Market Paperback)
All the novels in this trilogy are excellent. Need to take the time to read all the books in the proper sequence for total enjoyment.

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed reading it!, March 31 2014
This book rocks! It's a bit gripping and disturbing but it's realistic. If your an avid book reader you must read this. It's a bit long but you will enjoy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing and Clever, Jan. 2 2014
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a great novel. The book is very well written and easy to read. This book follows a couple of characters as they try to solve a mystery. Stieg Larsson describes the characters well. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, Dec 31 2013
This review is from: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Mass Market Paperback)
Very interesting book. Enjoyed it. I would recommend this book to those who like to read longer novels. Received the book promptly too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, Dec 7 2013
This review is from: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Mass Market Paperback)
This is a dark and gritty novel. Difficult to get into at first, it is definitely worth the read. Gripping and disturbing and well-written.

5.0 out of 5 stars So worth it!!!, Sept. 14 2013
It took me a while to get on board with this book but as they say good things come to those who wait. The first time I heard anyone talk about this book they said "give it 100 pages and you'll be hooked". Another person suggested that you had to read much more that that to really get into it. This sounded kinda awful to me but I gave it a chance and I'm so glad I did. This is one of the best books I have ever read. It stands on it's own pretty well but I highly recommend the reading the whole trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs a whole new category in crime fiction., Aug. 29 2013
Robert T. Boyter (Toronto) - See all my reviews
This is a little like what used to be called a Police Procedural, but it is a hybrid because the primary investigator is a journalist not a policeman. That said, he operates along side the police for Volumes 2 and 3, i.e. The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, which becomes a courtroom drama at the end. The three together are very satisfying, but the sense of what might have been had the remaining 7 hoped-for volumes is quite painful.

The first volume The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is the journalists inquiry into the disappearance of a member of formerly prominent idustrialist's family. It is painstaking and clearly reveals just how difficult doing good research is, particularly long after the disappearance. It needs some patience though it resolves very well.

It introduces the glories of Lisbeth Salander, the very guarded, introverted computer researcher who appears also to have an eidetic (photographic) memory and to be exceptionally bright, and utterly fascinating as a character. Mikael Blomkvist is the journalist and is also a fascinating character, with a strict moral code, as has Salander, even if their codes aren't particularly congruent codes

4.0 out of 5 stars Mitt, Aug. 6 2013
4 stars simply because it got me curious enough (barely) to read the next book, witch is the second best of the series. I believe this book to be an introduction to the characters of the series, nothing more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, July 3 2013
I enjoyed this book. It was well written and kept me reading, probably much later than I should have been.

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (Mass Market Paperback - June 23 2009)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01