5.0 out of 5 stars Best is last!
I read this book in french. It is the first part of a trilogy. This is not your "usual" thriller. The characters are very important and the author takes his time to present each one of them with the location in the first 100 pages. So the reader must not be impatient. The first book has a story in itself. The second book has the same main characters but the plot is...
Published on Sept. 14 2008 by Dragonfly

2.0 out of 5 stars What is all the Fuss About?
I heard so many good things about this trilogy that I bought all three books, hoping to read them through over the Christmas break. I had trouble getting through book 1 and may not finish the others.
I found that I disliked most of the main characters, including Blomkvist and Salander. I just didn't find them plausible or likeable. Without giving away too much,...
Published on Dec 30 2010 by Canoester

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, June 17 2013
There is only 1 Stieg Larsson. This series is awesome. Amazing story for a writter, so real it makes me want to check the internet to see if these places & people really do exist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lisbeth Salander Rocks, March 28 2013
Wonderfully written, nail biting, keeps you wanting to read the next page, and the next...
Trilogy is one that will be read and talked about for many many moons. Thank you Stieg Larsson! RIP

5.0 out of 5 stars satisfyingly good mystery, April 11 2010
A. Jacques (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Mass Market Paperback)
I love the characters and the whole plot of this mystery. Very intelligent writer. You can tell this is a carefully planned novel. I'm glad I didn't know the nature of the story because I probably would not have read it but I'm glad I did. I listened to the first two audio books in 10 days (28 CDs) because I couldn't stop. The main character deserves a nice big hug. I can't wait for the third book, I miss her very much.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Great, Feb. 8 2010
Benjamin Cummins (Iroquois ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Mass Market Paperback)
As much as I enjoyed parts of this book there were a few things that really bugged me. One, the author has a great need to insert brand names into his story, I am assuming brands he likes or supports, so laptops are called iBooks, scanners are Minolta scanners, he even goes as far as to plug a freeware word processing program he likes, being thoughtful enough to insert the download link. The writing is wooden and switches back and forth between American and British terms, but I am ready to blame this on the translator, for instance why would someone in Sweden be reading temperature in Farenheit and then call their gasoline petrol?There are two main stories here, and I found myself really caught up in the mystery of Harriet Vanger but not so much Milenium Magazine thread, so when one ended with a good chunk of the book left I dreaded the last 100 pages.

While the author has mighty axes to grind he avoids being too preachy a la Dan Brown, so overall this is pretty good thriller/suspense novels though definetly not completely satisfying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, fast moving book, Oct. 8 2011
I enjoyed this book very much even though I was quite skeptical at the beginning, from what I'd heard. The author draws you in and you can't put it down. The next thing I knew I had read all three in the series. It can be a little graphic at times but just keep reading. Love the main character 'Salander'!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo, Dec 25 2014
One of the very good books that I have traded, interesting, acute, with a sense of a terrific thriller, I could not stop reading it until I finished. A great book with two fantastic personages: Lisbeth Salander and M..Bloomsbury. GREAT :Stieg Larsson.
Thanks J.Bravo

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Book, Jan. 4 2013
Saw both the Swedish and American movies before reading the book. The movies are good but the book as far superior. The first 100 pages is a bit sluggish but then it gets to that point that you just can't put it down. The next 2 books in the series are even better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mitt, Aug. 6 2013
4 stars simply because it got me curious enough (barely) to read the next book, witch is the second best of the series. I believe this book to be an introduction to the characters of the series, nothing more.

1.0 out of 5 stars at the age of I think 19 and portrayed as a very small person to have accomplished what the author wrote is just utterly stupid,, July 14 2014
I totally agree with the person who wrote the one star review. The characters were not in the least believable and for the main
character, don't even remember her name now, at the age of I think 19 and portrayed as a very small person to have accomplished
what the author wrote is just utterly stupid, is the only word that comes to mind

I would not consider reading the others or seeing the movie, what a waste of time when there are so many wonderful
books waiting to be read

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular and Intelligently Written Book, June 10 2014
This book remains as one of my very favourite ones of all time. It is so intelligently written that it challenges other writers to match the style, character development, and plot. I read once that Larsson wrote this series for his own entertainment. I think I half-believe this statement, since he did go and drop off his manuscripts for publication, after all; but I can understand his motivation. There are simply very few books that can reach his transcendent style of writing. There are multiple layers of stories. There is the mystery of who Lisbeth Salander is and why she is so different from many other people. Then there is the layer of financial journalism, embodied in the persona of Mikael Blomkvist, which seeks to criticize the way in which major businesses and corporations mercilessly strip money out of every consumer for the sake of their own profiteering. Larsson was a passionate proponent of investigative journalism into dubious financial activities of several major corporations, and insisted that more responsible reporting be carried out to shed light on the activities of flagged organizations. His passion is eloquently expressed throughout these series and forms a plea to all humanity to see the reality of organizational behavior.

I read these books almost 5 years ago and still remember much about them. They will be one of the few that I will certainly read again in my life. Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (Mass Market Paperback - June 23 2009)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01