5.0 out of 5 stars It's over, but what a trip!!
Published on Feb. 6 2010 by David A. Cowan

2.0 out of 5 stars Least favourite of the series
Published on Aug. 10 2010 by Lindsay Marshall

5.0 out of 5 stars It's over, but what a trip!!, Feb. 6 2010
David A. Cowan (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I cheated. I could not wait. I went to Amazon.UK and the book was in my hands 4 days later. A first class ending to a wonderful debut and unfortunate end. If I had the chance to write only 3 books I would hope they would be of this calibre. I can not express myself well enough to tweek your interest. Simply stated this is the best of the three. When this book hits these shores it will soar. The plot is involved, the characters are well developed and the conclusion is satisfying. It is well worth the time. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, Feb. 1 2010
I ordered this book through the UK and received it shortly after Christmas. As previously reading the other two I knew that this was going to be a bittersweet read. The story takes off right where the first one left off, and I must say the story of Salander is not only enlightening but heartbreaking.

I am saddened that this Mr. Larsson passed away and we will not be able to continue the wonderful adventure's of Salander and Blomkvist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet Classic, Jan. 17 2010
I ordered this book via Amazon in the UK and was ecstatic to receive it at a very reasonable price SIX MONTHS before the North American release date! Although I thought the 1st book was a classic, the 2nd was a little over the top for believablility. HOWEVER - as a fellow reader pointed out, the 2nd and 3rd books are more like parts 1 and 2 of the same book and leads to a complex, engrossing and thoroughly satisfying end to this trilogy that I didn't want to see end. With the much too early demise of a wonderfully talented author, it's tough to think Lisbeth & Mikael have sailed into the sunset. But what a legacy! CHEERS!

2.0 out of 5 stars Least favourite of the series, Aug. 10 2010
I cannot agree with the rave reviews that this book is receiving. In my opinion, it was the worst in the series, and I had to force myself to read it. I could've taken a red pen to much of it, and eliminated at least 200 pages, if not more. There is so much superfluous material in this book, as well as the first 2 books, that they could've been cut down into 2 books, as opposed to 3.

This book is mainly wrap-up of the events that occured in the 2nd book, and the ending is so predictable, that it felt pointless to push through all of the useless Swedish names and places (which were extremely difficult to keep track of). I felt that Salander alienated herself even more, especially while she was on trial for her crimes, and instead of liking her more, I couldn't wait for the book to end so I didn't have to read any more of her ridiculous shenanigans, about the limited amount of food she eats (Billy's Pan Pizza anyone?), her trips around Sweden on public transit, or her endless pouting and doom & gloom.

I thought this book ended the series on a very low note, instead of the high that resulted from the first book. I disagree that it's one of the best series--I'm still giving that title to Harry Potter.

5.0 out of 5 stars PERSONALLY, I PITY THE HORNETS, May 22 2010
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
If the THE COMPLETE SHERLOCK HOLMES marked my childhood and THE LORD OF THE RINGS is the most memorable from my early teen years, THE MILLENIUM Trilogy is the one I shall remember from my mid-thirties. And this book was a fitting conclusion to the series.

Lisbeth Salander is bedridden, recovering from a gunshot to the head. She is isolated from all her friends and the world whereas her enemies amass their forces to fall upon her fragile existence. In the same ICU, only a few meters away, lies her biological father and nemesis. Not only does he recover faster but, once more, he seems about to slither out of trouble. No matter, anyone who underestimates Lisbeth is doing this at his own risk.
The last 250 pages of this book will simply blow you away.

For a book originally written in Swedish, I have to mention the superb job done by the translator, Reg Keeland. The language flows naturally, never trapped in awkward phrase structures, whereas the Swedish names of places and organizations remind the reader to mind the culture gap.

Personally, I found the second book (The Girl Who Played with Fire) the best of the three. No matter though, they were all masterpieces. You do not have to read them in sequence to enjoy each book but I would suggest it only to get the most out of them. With Larsson's untimely death these three books are all we are ever going to have.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear your calendar, book off work or phone in sick...you're going to be busy reading!, June 14 2010
I am a co-enabler. I admit it. I bought my husband this book and haven't seen him for two days since he started to read it....no, let me rephrase that...since he started to DEVOUR this book.

'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' was a Christmas gift, followed by Playing with Fire for last Father's Day. You'd think I'd learn.

I can't say if the book is any good as I haven't had a chance to touch it! But the smile on my hubby's face and the way he is turning the pages and staying up late, tells me that this book is a home run at the end of the Trilogy.

4.0 out of 5 stars The final sting, June 13 2010
Christina Agrell "Larssonite" (Oakville ON Canada) - See all my reviews
For those addicted to Stieg Larsson's work, there is a bitter sweetness to reading this book. We know that this was the last, as his early death meant that here will be no more. Or will his long time partner finish the fourth manuscript, a work in progress when he died?
The Hornets Nest is a tad overlong. In Dickensian style it ties up many of the loose ends and (with sex volence and computer hacking) it brings the arc of Salander's story to a satisfying conclusion. But there are still some tantalising threads that I would love to see unravelled.. What about that twin?
Larsonnites can live in hope that, like Douglas Adams, there may be a fourth book in the trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, Sept. 11 2011
Toni Osborne "The Way I See It" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Paperback)
Book 3, in the Millennium trilogy

This series has captivated me from the start, not only that each instalment is a superior pager-turner that manages to draw you into the world of interesting characters it also delivers a story that is riveting and wholly engrossing. 'The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest' is complex, satisfying and clever.

The final instalment picks up where the second left off. Lisbeth is in hospital under arrest and fighting for her life in intensive care, while her father, two rooms from her, is being treated for his axe wound to the face. From the start, the story is so crammed with characters, plots and sub-plots it will take a book itself to summarize the main points only.

The author loves to takes us on many side trips such as exposing the dirty secrets of the Swedish Secret Service while Lisbeth recuperates from her injuries and contemplates her revenge while waiting for her day in court. The plotting can be convoluted and challenging at times and the wild ride continues with Blomqvist exposing Zalachenco and his contacts with the Swedish government. True to the author's style, he has our heads spinning one curve after another, an endless supply of highs and lows. The many minor characters can give the reader a case of information overload, however, the storyline neatly wraps up the fate of each major player including the fascinating heroine, Lisbeth Salander.

Regrettably this seems to be the end of the series. I will miss Mr. Larsson's contributions to the world of suspense novels.

4.0 out of 5 stars At the end, it stings., Jan. 30 2010
L. Quinn "LQ" (1,000 Islands Region, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
Part 3 started off a little slow in my opinion, but perhaps Larsson did that on purpose so that the coming events would just be that much more sensational. It got to the point where I did not want to put the book down and if I had to, I could not wait until I could continue the story again. I decided last night that I would read it until I finished and only now realized that I'm sad the story has ended. Granted, the ending left a little to be desired, but hopefully the 4th, 5th and possible 6th manuscripts will make it to book shelves in the future and take us on a few more adventures...

In Swedish, this book is titled "Luftslottet som sprängdes", "The Castle In The Sky That Blew Up". Anyone can google that to find out that "Castle In The Sky" is the Swedish reference for a pipe dream. I personally think the Swedish title is more suited to the story (naturally ;o). Of course, the original title for the first book was also better, but not politically correct here...

I too ordered this book from the U.K. site and could hardly wait for it to arrive. If you read the first 2 and can't wait until May to find out for yourself exactly what happens, .uk delivers fast! The Brit version has very minor mistakes and varying terms and representations (I noticed that the wrong word was typed on a couple of occasions and time is presented using the 24 hour clock and a period rather than a colon--nothing your brain won't figure out. If you've read Trainspotting, then your brain will fly through Hornets' Nest). I doubt that there will be any major changes in the North American version so it is definitely worth ordering.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Girl who Kicked The Hornets Nest, Sept. 27 2010
Not as good as the first two , which I absolutely loved . Introducing too many new characters and Very SLOW , Half way thru the book and still hoping it is going to get better . Read the first 2 in a few days , been working on this a few weeks . Lisbeth is not playing a big part in it so far . Disappointing.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson (Paperback - Sept. 6 2011)
CDN$ 18.00 CDN$ 13.00