5.0 out of 5 stars It's over, but what a trip!!
Published on Feb. 6 2010 by David A. Cowan

3.0 out of 5 stars The Girl who Kicked The Hornets Nest
Not as good as the first two , which I absolutely loved . Introducing too many new characters and Very SLOW , Half way thru the book and still hoping it is going to get better . Read the first 2 in a few days , been working on this a few weeks . Lisbeth is not playing a big part in it so far . Disappointing.
Published on Sept. 27 2010 by Avid Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars It's over, but what a trip!!, Feb. 6 2010
David A. Cowan (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I cheated. I could not wait. I went to Amazon.UK and the book was in my hands 4 days later. A first class ending to a wonderful debut and unfortunate end. If I had the chance to write only 3 books I would hope they would be of this calibre. I can not express myself well enough to tweek your interest. Simply stated this is the best of the three. When this book hits these shores it will soar. The plot is involved, the characters are well developed and the conclusion is satisfying. It is well worth the time. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, Sept. 11 2011
Toni Osborne "The Way I See It" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Paperback)
Book 3, in the Millennium trilogy

This series has captivated me from the start, not only that each instalment is a superior pager-turner that manages to draw you into the world of interesting characters it also delivers a story that is riveting and wholly engrossing. 'The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest' is complex, satisfying and clever.

The final instalment picks up where the second left off. Lisbeth is in hospital under arrest and fighting for her life in intensive care, while her father, two rooms from her, is being treated for his axe wound to the face. From the start, the story is so crammed with characters, plots and sub-plots it will take a book itself to summarize the main points only.

The author loves to takes us on many side trips such as exposing the dirty secrets of the Swedish Secret Service while Lisbeth recuperates from her injuries and contemplates her revenge while waiting for her day in court. The plotting can be convoluted and challenging at times and the wild ride continues with Blomqvist exposing Zalachenco and his contacts with the Swedish government. True to the author's style, he has our heads spinning one curve after another, an endless supply of highs and lows. The many minor characters can give the reader a case of information overload, however, the storyline neatly wraps up the fate of each major player including the fascinating heroine, Lisbeth Salander.

Regrettably this seems to be the end of the series. I will miss Mr. Larsson's contributions to the world of suspense novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the series., Jan. 30 2012
V. Buttino (Toronto) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Paperback)
Without a doubt, this was the best book of the series.

A classic battle between the good guys and the bad guys ensues in this tale of human rights gone horribly wrong. The only complaint I have about this third and final installment is the constant introduction of new characters on nearly every page. It was hard to keep up, but you must pay close attention because every character introduced lends something significant to the story.

Certain parts of the book (namely Salander's trial) had me sitting on the edge of my seat and biting my nails (something I haven't done since high school). I even found myself giggling and pumping my fist in the air at certain moments! What a way to end a pretty good series (I say "pretty good" because I wasn't a huge fan of the first novel or the second). Things really picked up in The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest and the book's conclusion was satisfying.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Girl who Kicked The Hornets Nest, Sept. 27 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Justice, June 12 2010
Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 122,000 Helpful Votes Globally) - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
"I traverse the way of righteousness,
In the midst of the paths of justice," -- Proverbs 8:20

I assume that you know there are two earlier books in this trilogy, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played with Fire. If you didn't know that, read those books first.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest deals with the consequences of the violent episode at the end of The Girl Who Played with Fire where Lisbeth Salander meets her father and brother. While that battle within the family would normally play itself out among those three, modern society isn't likely to permit that. Too many other agendas need to be served. This book recounts how those who want to take advantage of the situation face off against those who want to see justice done.

Along the way, you'll find yourself thinking long and hard about what doing justice means to someone who has been dealt as bad a hand by her family and government as Lisbeth Salander has been. Stieg Larsson clearly has that purpose in mind as he develops a resolution that's as much social commentary as it is a suspense story.

Lisbeth will continue to amaze you.

I found that story to be very intricate and complex. You may have to remind yourself from the earlier books who some of the characters are. Although it was rewarding in the end, a simpler, shorter story would have worked better for me. This book came across as though it could have used more structural editing, excising major plot lines.

Hang on the end and you'll be glad you did. Stieg Larsson's monumental work of imagination will leave you wishing he were around to write a fourth book in the series. Perhaps someone else will be asked to do so. I hate the thought of not reading about Lisbeth Salander as a character in new stories.

Great series! I must admit, though, that this was by far my least favorite of the three books. Don't get your hopes up too high.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet Classic, Jan. 17 2010
I ordered this book via Amazon in the UK and was ecstatic to receive it at a very reasonable price SIX MONTHS before the North American release date! Although I thought the 1st book was a classic, the 2nd was a little over the top for believablility. HOWEVER - as a fellow reader pointed out, the 2nd and 3rd books are more like parts 1 and 2 of the same book and leads to a complex, engrossing and thoroughly satisfying end to this trilogy that I didn't want to see end. With the much too early demise of a wonderfully talented author, it's tough to think Lisbeth & Mikael have sailed into the sunset. But what a legacy! CHEERS!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, Feb. 1 2010
I ordered this book through the UK and received it shortly after Christmas. As previously reading the other two I knew that this was going to be a bittersweet read. The story takes off right where the first one left off, and I must say the story of Salander is not only enlightening but heartbreaking.

I am saddened that this Mr. Larsson passed away and we will not be able to continue the wonderful adventure's of Salander and Blomkvist.

3.0 out of 5 stars More Bookish Thoughts..., May 30 2011
Reader Writer Runner (Victoria, BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Ok, I'm officially over Lisbeth Salander, Mikael Blomkvist and the entire Millennium gang. I truly wanted to enjoy The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest as much as the first two of the series but instead I found it painfully slow, full of extraneous detail about Swedish politics and generally free of suspense. I would have stopped reading half way through had I not convinced myself that it had to get better! The last 100 pages brought some satisfaction and were definitely the highlight of the book but, in the words of T.S. Eliot, what started out as a captivating series disappointingly ended "not with a bang but with a whimper."

2.0 out of 5 stars A Sad End, May 31 2010
Dave and Joe (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I wanted to love this book. The previous two held me captive and breathless right the way through. I came to really care for all the characters not just the famed 'duo'. But the book was slow, full of extraneous and unnecessary detail. For a book with journalism at it's core, it could really, really have used an editor. Most of the side trips did not add to the story, did not advance the plot, did nothing but slow the action and keep the tension low. Half way through I almost stopped but ... this was the last one and I kept wanting it to get better. Kinda didn't. I'd love to have loved the book because I'd loved the characters. Pity there's no more because instead of a 'blip' in the series, it ends with a whisper.

4.0 out of 5 stars At the end, it stings., Jan. 30 2010
L. Quinn "LQ" (1,000 Islands Region, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
Part 3 started off a little slow in my opinion, but perhaps Larsson did that on purpose so that the coming events would just be that much more sensational. It got to the point where I did not want to put the book down and if I had to, I could not wait until I could continue the story again. I decided last night that I would read it until I finished and only now realized that I'm sad the story has ended. Granted, the ending left a little to be desired, but hopefully the 4th, 5th and possible 6th manuscripts will make it to book shelves in the future and take us on a few more adventures...

In Swedish, this book is titled "Luftslottet som sprängdes", "The Castle In The Sky That Blew Up". Anyone can google that to find out that "Castle In The Sky" is the Swedish reference for a pipe dream. I personally think the Swedish title is more suited to the story (naturally ;o). Of course, the original title for the first book was also better, but not politically correct here...

I too ordered this book from the U.K. site and could hardly wait for it to arrive. If you read the first 2 and can't wait until May to find out for yourself exactly what happens, .uk delivers fast! The Brit version has very minor mistakes and varying terms and representations (I noticed that the wrong word was typed on a couple of occasions and time is presented using the 24 hour clock and a period rather than a colon--nothing your brain won't figure out. If you've read Trainspotting, then your brain will fly through Hornets' Nest). I doubt that there will be any major changes in the North American version so it is definitely worth ordering.

ARRAY(0xb006d7a4)

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson (Paperback - Sept. 6 2011)
CDN$ 18.00 CDN$ 13.00