5.0 out of 5 stars Best is last!
Published on Sept. 14 2008 by Dragonfly

3.0 out of 5 stars Happy to be done this book!
I have been waiting a long time to read this book. Unfortunately I expected to be able to just pick it up and read it fairly quickly. This was however, not what happened. I hit a very hard brick wall upon opening it and starting to read. It was a horrendous fight to read this book all the way through. The author was so detailed in his descriptions to set the scene and get...
Published on Feb. 20 2012 by Tom Turvey

5.0 out of 5 stars Best is last!, Sept. 14 2008
Dragonfly (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
I read this book in french. It is the first part of a trilogy. This is not your "usual" thriller. The characters are very important and the author takes his time to present each one of them with the location in the first 100 pages. So the reader must not be impatient. The first book has a story in itself. The second book has the same main characters but the plot is different and the third book starts exactly where the second ends.
I thought the second was better than the first and the third was the best of the three.
The sad news is the author died of a heart attack just after giving the manuscript to his editor. So there will not be a fourth book.
This is a page turner, I could not put it down and everyone who read it (on my recommendation) loved it.
A definite MUST.

5.0 out of 5 stars A SWEDISH DRAGON's LAST THREE BREATHS OF FIRE, Aug. 17 2009
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
I was late in picking up the two first books of Stieg Larsson's trilogy and when I did I decided to leave them for the beach. I can now assure you that THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO is much more than a summer page-turner.

The story flows effortlessly yet is full of unexpected turns. Looking back one can only admit that, although he did not see it coming, the outcome was to be expected. No suspension of disbelief required here, the story could easily have been taken from news-reports. Larsson was a master of understanding human nature and life's minute nuisances.
What is more, this book reminded me of the good old classics that contained a healthy dose of moral lessons within their gripping story. Good literature should entertain as much as it make you think.

The only thing I regret is not being able to read Larsson in the original Swedish (always a handicap) but as far as I can tell the translation (by Steven T. Murray, under the nom-de-plume of Reg Keeland) is fluid and very well done. No awkward phrasing or translation artifacts that would gum up the experience. The book might as well have been written in English.

It is very unfortunate that Larsson died so young. He would have had a stellar carrier as a writer in front of him. Non the less, his Millennium Trilogy is what he will be remembered by.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not what I expected., March 2 2012
This review is from: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Paperback)
I have always had different tastes for books, and have never gotten into something that had been given a lot of attention. I had avoided this book and the series for that matter for a long time. I finaly gave in. I enjoyed the book, although it was not to die for like some people claim. It is almost an information or detail over load. Very well written, for sure. When I was done reading I thought, or great now I have to read the other two books for the ending. I am so glad I did cause they get better and better, and the information over load pays off after all.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, June 17 2013
This review is from: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Paperback)
There is only 1 Stieg Larsson. This series is awesome. Amazing story for a writter, so real it makes me want to check the internet to see if these places & people really do exist.

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed reading it!, March 31 2014
This review is from: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Paperback)
This book rocks! It's a bit gripping and disturbing but it's realistic. If your an avid book reader you must read this. It's a bit long but you will enjoy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing and Clever, Jan. 2 2014
This review is from: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Paperback)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a great novel. The book is very well written and easy to read. This book follows a couple of characters as they try to solve a mystery. Stieg Larsson describes the characters well. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, Dec 31 2013
Very interesting book. Enjoyed it. I would recommend this book to those who like to read longer novels. Received the book promptly too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, Dec 7 2013
This is a dark and gritty novel. Difficult to get into at first, it is definitely worth the read. Gripping and disturbing and well-written.

5.0 out of 5 stars So worth it!!!, Sept. 14 2013
This review is from: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Paperback)
It took me a while to get on board with this book but as they say good things come to those who wait. The first time I heard anyone talk about this book they said "give it 100 pages and you'll be hooked". Another person suggested that you had to read much more that that to really get into it. This sounded kinda awful to me but I gave it a chance and I'm so glad I did. This is one of the best books I have ever read. It stands on it's own pretty well but I highly recommend the reading the whole trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs a whole new category in crime fiction., Aug. 29 2013
Robert T. Boyter (Toronto) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Paperback)
This is a little like what used to be called a Police Procedural, but it is a hybrid because the primary investigator is a journalist not a policeman. That said, he operates along side the police for Volumes 2 and 3, i.e. The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, which becomes a courtroom drama at the end. The three together are very satisfying, but the sense of what might have been had the remaining 7 hoped-for volumes is quite painful.

The first volume The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is the journalists inquiry into the disappearance of a member of formerly prominent idustrialist's family. It is painstaking and clearly reveals just how difficult doing good research is, particularly long after the disappearance. It needs some patience though it resolves very well.

It introduces the glories of Lisbeth Salander, the very guarded, introverted computer researcher who appears also to have an eidetic (photographic) memory and to be exceptionally bright, and utterly fascinating as a character. Mikael Blomkvist is the journalist and is also a fascinating character, with a strict moral code, as has Salander, even if their codes aren't particularly congruent codes

ARRAY(0xb07b942c)

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (Paperback - July 5 2011)
CDN$ 18.00 CDN$ 13.00