5.0 out of 5 stars Best is last!
Published on Sept. 14 2008 by Dragonfly

3.0 out of 5 stars Happy to be done this book!
I have been waiting a long time to read this book. Unfortunately I expected to be able to just pick it up and read it fairly quickly. This was however, not what happened. I hit a very hard brick wall upon opening it and starting to read. It was a horrendous fight to read this book all the way through. The author was so detailed in his descriptions to set the scene and get...
Published on Feb. 20 2012 by Tom Turvey

5.0 out of 5 stars Best is last!, Sept. 14 2008
Dragonfly (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
I read this book in french. It is the first part of a trilogy. This is not your "usual" thriller. The characters are very important and the author takes his time to present each one of them with the location in the first 100 pages. So the reader must not be impatient. The first book has a story in itself. The second book has the same main characters but the plot is different and the third book starts exactly where the second ends.
I thought the second was better than the first and the third was the best of the three.
The sad news is the author died of a heart attack just after giving the manuscript to his editor. So there will not be a fourth book.
This is a page turner, I could not put it down and everyone who read it (on my recommendation) loved it.
A definite MUST.

5.0 out of 5 stars A SWEDISH DRAGON's LAST THREE BREATHS OF FIRE, Aug. 17 2009
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
I was late in picking up the two first books of Stieg Larsson's trilogy and when I did I decided to leave them for the beach. I can now assure you that THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO is much more than a summer page-turner.

The story flows effortlessly yet is full of unexpected turns. Looking back one can only admit that, although he did not see it coming, the outcome was to be expected. No suspension of disbelief required here, the story could easily have been taken from news-reports. Larsson was a master of understanding human nature and life's minute nuisances.
What is more, this book reminded me of the good old classics that contained a healthy dose of moral lessons within their gripping story. Good literature should entertain as much as it make you think.

The only thing I regret is not being able to read Larsson in the original Swedish (always a handicap) but as far as I can tell the translation (by Steven T. Murray, under the nom-de-plume of Reg Keeland) is fluid and very well done. No awkward phrasing or translation artifacts that would gum up the experience. The book might as well have been written in English.

It is very unfortunate that Larsson died so young. He would have had a stellar carrier as a writer in front of him. Non the less, his Millennium Trilogy is what he will be remembered by.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not what I expected., March 2 2012
This review is from: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Paperback)
I have always had different tastes for books, and have never gotten into something that had been given a lot of attention. I had avoided this book and the series for that matter for a long time. I finaly gave in. I enjoyed the book, although it was not to die for like some people claim. It is almost an information or detail over load. Very well written, for sure. When I was done reading I thought, or great now I have to read the other two books for the ending. I am so glad I did cause they get better and better, and the information over load pays off after all.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, June 17 2013
This review is from: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Paperback)
There is only 1 Stieg Larsson. This series is awesome. Amazing story for a writter, so real it makes me want to check the internet to see if these places & people really do exist.

1.0 out of 5 stars at the age of I think 19 and portrayed as a very small person to have accomplished what the author wrote is just utterly stupid,, July 14 2014
This review is from: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Paperback)
I totally agree with the person who wrote the one star review. The characters were not in the least believable and for the main
character, don't even remember her name now, at the age of I think 19 and portrayed as a very small person to have accomplished
what the author wrote is just utterly stupid, is the only word that comes to mind

I would not consider reading the others or seeing the movie, what a waste of time when there are so many wonderful
books waiting to be read

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular and Intelligently Written Book, June 10 2014
This review is from: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Paperback)
This book remains as one of my very favourite ones of all time. It is so intelligently written that it challenges other writers to match the style, character development, and plot. I read once that Larsson wrote this series for his own entertainment. I think I half-believe this statement, since he did go and drop off his manuscripts for publication, after all; but I can understand his motivation. There are simply very few books that can reach his transcendent style of writing. There are multiple layers of stories. There is the mystery of who Lisbeth Salander is and why she is so different from many other people. Then there is the layer of financial journalism, embodied in the persona of Mikael Blomkvist, which seeks to criticize the way in which major businesses and corporations mercilessly strip money out of every consumer for the sake of their own profiteering. Larsson was a passionate proponent of investigative journalism into dubious financial activities of several major corporations, and insisted that more responsible reporting be carried out to shed light on the activities of flagged organizations. His passion is eloquently expressed throughout these series and forms a plea to all humanity to see the reality of organizational behavior.

I read these books almost 5 years ago and still remember much about them. They will be one of the few that I will certainly read again in my life. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars THe Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, May 5 2014
All the novels in this trilogy are excellent. Need to take the time to read all the books in the proper sequence for total enjoyment.

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed reading it!, March 31 2014
This review is from: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Paperback)
This book rocks! It's a bit gripping and disturbing but it's realistic. If your an avid book reader you must read this. It's a bit long but you will enjoy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing and Clever, Jan. 2 2014
This review is from: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Paperback)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a great novel. The book is very well written and easy to read. This book follows a couple of characters as they try to solve a mystery. Stieg Larsson describes the characters well. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, Dec 31 2013
Very interesting book. Enjoyed it. I would recommend this book to those who like to read longer novels. Received the book promptly too!

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (Paperback - July 5 2011)
CDN$ 18.00 CDN$ 13.00