5.0 out of 5 stars Best is last!
Published on Sept. 14 2008 by Dragonfly

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Great
Published on Feb. 8 2010 by Benjamin Cummins

5.0 out of 5 stars Best is last!, Sept. 14 2008
Dragonfly (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
I read this book in french. It is the first part of a trilogy. This is not your "usual" thriller. The characters are very important and the author takes his time to present each one of them with the location in the first 100 pages. So the reader must not be impatient. The first book has a story in itself. The second book has the same main characters but the plot is different and the third book starts exactly where the second ends.
I thought the second was better than the first and the third was the best of the three.
The sad news is the author died of a heart attack just after giving the manuscript to his editor. So there will not be a fourth book.
This is a page turner, I could not put it down and everyone who read it (on my recommendation) loved it.
A definite MUST.

5.0 out of 5 stars A SWEDISH DRAGON's LAST THREE BREATHS OF FIRE, Aug. 17 2009
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
I was late in picking up the two first books of Stieg Larsson's trilogy and when I did I decided to leave them for the beach. I can now assure you that THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO is much more than a summer page-turner.

The story flows effortlessly yet is full of unexpected turns. Looking back one can only admit that, although he did not see it coming, the outcome was to be expected. No suspension of disbelief required here, the story could easily have been taken from news-reports. Larsson was a master of understanding human nature and life's minute nuisances.
What is more, this book reminded me of the good old classics that contained a healthy dose of moral lessons within their gripping story. Good literature should entertain as much as it make you think.

The only thing I regret is not being able to read Larsson in the original Swedish (always a handicap) but as far as I can tell the translation (by Steven T. Murray, under the nom-de-plume of Reg Keeland) is fluid and very well done. No awkward phrasing or translation artifacts that would gum up the experience. The book might as well have been written in English.

It is very unfortunate that Larsson died so young. He would have had a stellar carrier as a writer in front of him. Non the less, his Millennium Trilogy is what he will be remembered by.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not what I expected., March 2 2012
This review is from: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Paperback)
I have always had different tastes for books, and have never gotten into something that had been given a lot of attention. I had avoided this book and the series for that matter for a long time. I finaly gave in. I enjoyed the book, although it was not to die for like some people claim. It is almost an information or detail over load. Very well written, for sure. When I was done reading I thought, or great now I have to read the other two books for the ending. I am so glad I did cause they get better and better, and the information over load pays off after all.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Idealistic Hero, an Unlikely Heroine, a Swedish Setting, Dangerous Secrets, and a Dandy Mystery Make for Great Fun, Nov. 25 2008
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
To me, this book is the most unexpected page-turning thriller I've read in some time. I couldn't wait for the next surprise.

I was reminded of first reading the early Ian Fleming books about James Bond, feeling like I'd entered a fascinating new world that I never had never dreamed of. But Stieg Larsson's writing is much better than Fleming's and these characters are more nuanced in their unusual characteristics.

The book defies normal novel categories. There are such a major story lines about both the hero and heroine that the novel would be more than adequate just developing those ideas. The mystery of a young woman's disappearance is more than adequate to sustain the interest of anyone who likes books about amateur detectives. In the background, there are dark secrets about a not-so-desirable family that would intrigue anyone who likes to read family sagas. What's remarkable is that these threads are very neatly combined so that you get a lot of story for your time, money, and reading pleasure.

Investigative journalist Mikael Blomkvist has a problem: He's written something that he can't prove and has been sued for criminal libel. His blunder costs him his savings, his reputation, and his freedom while threatening the survival of his publication. How will he and the magazine recover?

Lisbeth Salander wants her freedom and finds it hard to win. Although she's tremendously talented, her past holds secrets that pin her down much as Gulliver was by the tiny ropes of the Lilliputians.

Henrik Vanger wants to find out what happened to his grand niece, Harriet Vanger, who disappeared while an accident was being handled near her home. Can he persuade Blomkvist to help him?

There has been a search going on for Harriet Vanger for over forty years. What have they been overlooking?

What skeletons are hiding in the pro-Nazi closets of the older generation of the Vanger family? How do these skeletons affect the present?

You'll probably never meet a more unlikely detection team than Blomkvist and Salander. The unusual chemistry and motivation behind their joint efforts directs the story into many unexpected and interesting directions.

Stieg Larsson gives as much attention to his characters and their development as most mystery novelists do to their plots. As a result, you can relate to these characters quite well . . . as though you had already read ten books in which they interacted. He also takes the time to make these characters as unique as real people are, making them more vivid and rewarding to contemplate than the two-dimensional cutouts that serve as "characters" in most mystery novels.

His plot is also very fine: He usually doesn't telegraph what's coming next. People act as unpredictably as they do in real life . . . making the plot messy . . . as real life is messy.

I was delighted to learn that although Mr. Larsson has died that there are two more books coming. I can hardly wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, June 17 2013
This review is from: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Paperback)
There is only 1 Stieg Larsson. This series is awesome. Amazing story for a writter, so real it makes me want to check the internet to see if these places & people really do exist.

5.0 out of 5 stars satisfyingly good mystery, April 11 2010
A. Jacques (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I love the characters and the whole plot of this mystery. Very intelligent writer. You can tell this is a carefully planned novel. I'm glad I didn't know the nature of the story because I probably would not have read it but I'm glad I did. I listened to the first two audio books in 10 days (28 CDs) because I couldn't stop. The main character deserves a nice big hug. I can't wait for the third book, I miss her very much.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Great, Feb. 8 2010
Benjamin Cummins (Iroquois ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
As much as I enjoyed parts of this book there were a few things that really bugged me. One, the author has a great need to insert brand names into his story, I am assuming brands he likes or supports, so laptops are called iBooks, scanners are Minolta scanners, he even goes as far as to plug a freeware word processing program he likes, being thoughtful enough to insert the download link. The writing is wooden and switches back and forth between American and British terms, but I am ready to blame this on the translator, for instance why would someone in Sweden be reading temperature in Farenheit and then call their gasoline petrol?There are two main stories here, and I found myself really caught up in the mystery of Harriet Vanger but not so much Milenium Magazine thread, so when one ended with a good chunk of the book left I dreaded the last 100 pages.

While the author has mighty axes to grind he avoids being too preachy a la Dan Brown, so overall this is pretty good thriller/suspense novels though definetly not completely satisfying.

1.0 out of 5 stars at the age of I think 19 and portrayed as a very small person to have accomplished what the author wrote is just utterly stupid,, July 14 2014
This review is from: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Paperback)
I totally agree with the person who wrote the one star review. The characters were not in the least believable and for the main
character, don't even remember her name now, at the age of I think 19 and portrayed as a very small person to have accomplished
what the author wrote is just utterly stupid, is the only word that comes to mind

I would not consider reading the others or seeing the movie, what a waste of time when there are so many wonderful
books waiting to be read

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular and Intelligently Written Book, June 10 2014
This review is from: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Paperback)
This book remains as one of my very favourite ones of all time. It is so intelligently written that it challenges other writers to match the style, character development, and plot. I read once that Larsson wrote this series for his own entertainment. I think I half-believe this statement, since he did go and drop off his manuscripts for publication, after all; but I can understand his motivation. There are simply very few books that can reach his transcendent style of writing. There are multiple layers of stories. There is the mystery of who Lisbeth Salander is and why she is so different from many other people. Then there is the layer of financial journalism, embodied in the persona of Mikael Blomkvist, which seeks to criticize the way in which major businesses and corporations mercilessly strip money out of every consumer for the sake of their own profiteering. Larsson was a passionate proponent of investigative journalism into dubious financial activities of several major corporations, and insisted that more responsible reporting be carried out to shed light on the activities of flagged organizations. His passion is eloquently expressed throughout these series and forms a plea to all humanity to see the reality of organizational behavior.

I read these books almost 5 years ago and still remember much about them. They will be one of the few that I will certainly read again in my life. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars THe Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, May 5 2014
coccotoro - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
All the novels in this trilogy are excellent. Need to take the time to read all the books in the proper sequence for total enjoyment.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (Paperback - July 5 2011)
CDN$ 18.00 CDN$ 13.00