5.0 out of 5 stars Best is last!
Published on Sept. 14 2008 by Dragonfly

2.0 out of 5 stars What is all the Fuss About?
I heard so many good things about this trilogy that I bought all three books, hoping to read them through over the Christmas break. I had trouble getting through book 1 and may not finish the others.
Published on Dec 30 2010 by Canoester

5.0 out of 5 stars Best is last!, Sept. 14 2008
Dragonfly (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
I read this book in french. It is the first part of a trilogy. This is not your "usual" thriller. The characters are very important and the author takes his time to present each one of them with the location in the first 100 pages. So the reader must not be impatient. The first book has a story in itself. The second book has the same main characters but the plot is different and the third book starts exactly where the second ends.
I thought the second was better than the first and the third was the best of the three.
The sad news is the author died of a heart attack just after giving the manuscript to his editor. So there will not be a fourth book.
This is a page turner, I could not put it down and everyone who read it (on my recommendation) loved it.
A definite MUST.

5.0 out of 5 stars A SWEDISH DRAGON's LAST THREE BREATHS OF FIRE, Aug. 17 2009
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
I was late in picking up the two first books of Stieg Larsson's trilogy and when I did I decided to leave them for the beach. I can now assure you that THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO is much more than a summer page-turner.

The story flows effortlessly yet is full of unexpected turns. Looking back one can only admit that, although he did not see it coming, the outcome was to be expected. No suspension of disbelief required here, the story could easily have been taken from news-reports. Larsson was a master of understanding human nature and life's minute nuisances.
What is more, this book reminded me of the good old classics that contained a healthy dose of moral lessons within their gripping story. Good literature should entertain as much as it make you think.

The only thing I regret is not being able to read Larsson in the original Swedish (always a handicap) but as far as I can tell the translation (by Steven T. Murray, under the nom-de-plume of Reg Keeland) is fluid and very well done. No awkward phrasing or translation artifacts that would gum up the experience. The book might as well have been written in English.

It is very unfortunate that Larsson died so young. He would have had a stellar carrier as a writer in front of him. Non the less, his Millennium Trilogy is what he will be remembered by.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

2.0 out of 5 stars What is all the Fuss About?, Dec 30 2010
I found that I disliked most of the main characters, including Blomkvist and Salander. I just didn't find them plausible or likeable. Without giving away too much, the dungeon scene involving all of the protagonists about 2/3 of the way through the book was just plain un-believable.
The Apple product placements, socialist politics and feminist propaganda were so overt that it really distracted from what could have been a good read.
The book often gets lost in details and was about 200 pages too long.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not what I expected., March 2 2012
This review is from: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Paperback)
I have always had different tastes for books, and have never gotten into something that had been given a lot of attention. I had avoided this book and the series for that matter for a long time. I finaly gave in. I enjoyed the book, although it was not to die for like some people claim. It is almost an information or detail over load. Very well written, for sure. When I was done reading I thought, or great now I have to read the other two books for the ending. I am so glad I did cause they get better and better, and the information over load pays off after all.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Idealistic Hero, an Unlikely Heroine, a Swedish Setting, Dangerous Secrets, and a Dandy Mystery Make for Great Fun, Nov. 25 2008
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
To me, this book is the most unexpected page-turning thriller I've read in some time. I couldn't wait for the next surprise.

I was reminded of first reading the early Ian Fleming books about James Bond, feeling like I'd entered a fascinating new world that I never had never dreamed of. But Stieg Larsson's writing is much better than Fleming's and these characters are more nuanced in their unusual characteristics.

The book defies normal novel categories. There are such a major story lines about both the hero and heroine that the novel would be more than adequate just developing those ideas. The mystery of a young woman's disappearance is more than adequate to sustain the interest of anyone who likes books about amateur detectives. In the background, there are dark secrets about a not-so-desirable family that would intrigue anyone who likes to read family sagas. What's remarkable is that these threads are very neatly combined so that you get a lot of story for your time, money, and reading pleasure.

Investigative journalist Mikael Blomkvist has a problem: He's written something that he can't prove and has been sued for criminal libel. His blunder costs him his savings, his reputation, and his freedom while threatening the survival of his publication. How will he and the magazine recover?

Lisbeth Salander wants her freedom and finds it hard to win. Although she's tremendously talented, her past holds secrets that pin her down much as Gulliver was by the tiny ropes of the Lilliputians.

Henrik Vanger wants to find out what happened to his grand niece, Harriet Vanger, who disappeared while an accident was being handled near her home. Can he persuade Blomkvist to help him?

There has been a search going on for Harriet Vanger for over forty years. What have they been overlooking?

What skeletons are hiding in the pro-Nazi closets of the older generation of the Vanger family? How do these skeletons affect the present?

You'll probably never meet a more unlikely detection team than Blomkvist and Salander. The unusual chemistry and motivation behind their joint efforts directs the story into many unexpected and interesting directions.

Stieg Larsson gives as much attention to his characters and their development as most mystery novelists do to their plots. As a result, you can relate to these characters quite well . . . as though you had already read ten books in which they interacted. He also takes the time to make these characters as unique as real people are, making them more vivid and rewarding to contemplate than the two-dimensional cutouts that serve as "characters" in most mystery novels.

His plot is also very fine: He usually doesn't telegraph what's coming next. People act as unpredictably as they do in real life . . . making the plot messy . . . as real life is messy.

I was delighted to learn that although Mr. Larsson has died that there are two more books coming. I can hardly wait!

2.0 out of 5 stars The Reviewer with the Devil's Advocate Tattoo, Feb. 26 2011
I just can't jump on the bandwagon for "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." I don't think that Stieg Larsson is much of a writer. His style is competent but undistinguished. I just didn't care about the characters and truth told, I didn't make it past the first hundred pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, June 17 2013
This review is from: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Paperback)
There is only 1 Stieg Larsson. This series is awesome. Amazing story for a writter, so real it makes me want to check the internet to see if these places & people really do exist.

5.0 out of 5 stars satisfyingly good mystery, April 11 2010
A. Jacques (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I love the characters and the whole plot of this mystery. Very intelligent writer. You can tell this is a carefully planned novel. I'm glad I didn't know the nature of the story because I probably would not have read it but I'm glad I did. I listened to the first two audio books in 10 days (28 CDs) because I couldn't stop. The main character deserves a nice big hug. I can't wait for the third book, I miss her very much.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Great, Feb. 8 2010
Benjamin Cummins (Iroquois ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
As much as I enjoyed parts of this book there were a few things that really bugged me. One, the author has a great need to insert brand names into his story, I am assuming brands he likes or supports, so laptops are called iBooks, scanners are Minolta scanners, he even goes as far as to plug a freeware word processing program he likes, being thoughtful enough to insert the download link. The writing is wooden and switches back and forth between American and British terms, but I am ready to blame this on the translator, for instance why would someone in Sweden be reading temperature in Farenheit and then call their gasoline petrol?There are two main stories here, and I found myself really caught up in the mystery of Harriet Vanger but not so much Milenium Magazine thread, so when one ended with a good chunk of the book left I dreaded the last 100 pages.

While the author has mighty axes to grind he avoids being too preachy a la Dan Brown, so overall this is pretty good thriller/suspense novels though definetly not completely satisfying.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo, Dec 25 2014
One of the very good books that I have traded, interesting, acute, with a sense of a terrific thriller, I could not stop reading it until I finished. A great book with two fantastic personages: Lisbeth Salander and M..Bloomsbury. GREAT :Stieg Larsson.
Thanks J.Bravo

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (Paperback - July 5 2011)
CDN$ 18.00 CDN$ 13.00