Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on December 30, 2010
I heard so many good things about this trilogy that I bought all three books, hoping to read them through over the Christmas break. I had trouble getting through book 1 and may not finish the others.
I found that I disliked most of the main characters, including Blomkvist and Salander. I just didn't find them plausible or likeable. Without giving away too much, the dungeon scene involving all of the protagonists about 2/3 of the way through the book was just plain un-believable.
The Apple product placements, socialist politics and feminist propaganda were so overt that it really distracted from what could have been a good read.
The book often gets lost in details and was about 200 pages too long.
on February 26, 2011
I just can't jump on the bandwagon for "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." I don't think that Stieg Larsson is much of a writer. His style is competent but undistinguished. I just didn't care about the characters and truth told, I didn't make it past the first hundred pages.
on November 23, 2010
Mostly I am surprised that mediocre writing, X rated content and characters who are so unlikeable is being lapped up by the majority of readers. I have read the first two books and just never cared for any of the characters. The coffee drinking Swedish IKEA scharmy stuff made the books even more unlikeable to me. Swedish writer meet Hollywood with a far too heavy dose of icky sexual murder mystery twists. I will not be getting stung by a wasp from the Hornet's nest anytime soon. There is just too many other fine literary reads out there to waste time on this stuff.
on July 7, 2010
I picked this book up because everyone has given it such great reviews. I had a really difficult time getting through the first bit.. i found it took too much concentration and was really quite boring! Parts of the middle were interesting but I never once felt the need to keep on reading. I didnt even finish the last 50 pages.. i felt that i had already wasted enough time and to be honest im not even curious about what happened! I do think that it will make a better movie than book. Glad that i didnt buy all 3 at once as i had originally planned!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
When I hear the word 'trilogy' I immediately harken back to classics such as The Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Golden Compass or even the Matrix. Such was my reaction when I heard of this trio put out by the now deceased Swedish author Steig Larson. A classic this series is not nor ever will be. If you are an average reader, have adequate comprehensive skills, are looking for a novel that will hand-walk you through each event and have numerous twists and turns in its plot, THIS IS THE BOOK FOR YOU! If, however, you are somewhat well read, enjoy symbolism and universal thoughts, relish in a variety of interpretations and seek realism over sensationalism, THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE ONE OF YOUR FAVORITES.

While very lengthy, its nearly 900 pages reads fairly quickly and is a fairly decent summer read for the beach or other activities. Don't worry about losing track of who the characters are or where the plot is headed for the author will repeat these descriptions to you over and over again. The character development, alone, takes up the first 250 pages!

I purchased all three novels together and, while I am not on 'pins and needles' waiting to start the last two, I am sure I will experience a period in the future when I can, once again, waste two more days on sensationalism in a poorly edited text.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" is the first book in the Millennium Trilogy by Steig Larsson. The book is 841 pages in length.

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (TGwtDT) is a mystery thriller involving sadism and misogynism. Two unlikely protagonists, journalist Mikael Blomkvist and researcher/computer-hacker Lisbeth Salander are thrown together in quest to solve a missing-persons enigma that goes back well over a quarter century.

Some of the findings 'missed' by previous investigators (given the amount of time, effort and resources that was made available to them) made them look incompetent. Our heroes seemed have an uncanny knack for finding that all important missed clue. This being accomplished through diligent digging and also from Salander's computer skills; skills that border on the miraculous (or maybe unbelievable).

Despite its length, TGwtDT is a fast, easy read, but that is not to say it's particularly well written; it has its flaws that are just not entirely related in the text being translated from Swedish to English. The writing, at times, seemed quite amateurish.
There may have been a little too much of the erotic mixed in with the more serious who-done-it component, with the former taking away from the intriguing mystery associated with the latter.
In spots, the book seemed to have excessive detail, that while within the context of the story, had little to do with the real plot or its outcome. These areas became easy to recognize and just as easy to skim through. They really only served to lengthen an already long book.

Despite my concerns with some of the writing quality and a few of the plot details, I enjoyed this disturbing thriller; it was, truly hard to put down.
This is however, not a tale for the faint of heart; I suspect there are some readers that may have difficulty with certain passages in this book. Overall...2 maybe 2 1/2 Stars.

Ray Nicholson
on October 20, 2010
This book was a page turner but the topic was very dark.

Anyone who has experienced abuse (especially sexual abuse) will have difficulty reading this.

There are also many spelling mistakes.

Will not pass this book on to others or recommend it to them.

Ít's sucess is overrated.