Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Format: PaperbackChange

on November 17, 2015
One of the best books I have read.
Unconventional, witty, fascinating, intriguing, mesmerizing …
I just didn’t want the book to end. I was captured in one magical world and have lived with the characters 24/7. It was an amazing experience, a great adventure.
Larsson’s specific style of writing is so beautiful and compelling. The plot is interesting, with so many twists. The characters are so full of life, so unconventional and real, especially Lisbeth. I love her!!!
Being part of this was a real pleasure. I still have a hard time finding another book as excellent as this one.
on October 15, 2015
I'm on booked three now and can't wait to read the latest one.
on September 23, 2015
Great book
on September 10, 2015
If you haven't read about it already, or seen the movie (either the original or the US remake) you might be the only one. I submit this review in no way thinking it is going to influence you. I just loved the book and the character of Lisbeth that I need to say something. It starts off as a mystery story but evolves into something so much bigger and better. The pages will fly by and you will grow to love the characters and the setting.
The estate has hired an author to continue the series...and I hope it goes well. However, it can't stop me from thinking what if the author were still alive.
on September 9, 2015
The first book may be a bit difficult to get into at first, however, once you do you will not be able to put it or its sequels down.
The whole series is truly captivating.
on August 30, 2015
I really enjoyed that book. Lots of twists and turns. I plan to read the rest of the series.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon July 19, 2015
This is the first book in the Dragon Tattoo triology. The author, Stieg Larsson, unfortunately died shortly after the manuscripts were completed which is such a great loss of an excellent writer. It now appears a fourth book will soon be available, The GIrl in the Spider's Web written by David Lagercrantz (it's on Amazon now for pre-order now and will be available Sept 2015).

I read many reviews before purchasing this book and so I knew ahead that there would be a detailed family tree introduced in the story and that some reviewers found that difficult to remember or get through. I didn't have any problem with it at all, but because of the pre-warning I paid more attention to the names to help me keep everyone straight. To me this part of the book didn't appear to be slow or boring. I saw it as the author presenting all the evidence and research of potential killers.

I found Salander to be a fascinating character. She's a street-wise bisexual gal who just happens to have a genius level IQ. But she has had a rough past and is dealing with a lot of emotional baggage. The story revolves around Salander and publisher/magazine owner Michal Blomkist as they research a 40 year mysterious disappearance of a young woman. The crimes that come out prove there's a nasty serial killer that's been operating for years.

The conclusion is a real surprise and I found the book to be a page turner all the way through. The other two books you will enjoy even more as the Salander and Blomkist story continues and Salander's past is revealed.

There are two movies based on the books and they are excellent as well. One covers all three books and is in Swedish with English sub titles. The other is in English and covers book 1 and parts of book 2. I own both and recommend them as well.

This is a series of books that you will want to keep to read again.
on July 16, 2015
Loved this series!
on June 28, 2015
“The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” is the first book of Stieg Larsson’s “Millennium” trilogy. The title, which literally translates to ‘Men who hate women’, permeates through to this story of Mikael Blomkvist - investigative journalist, Lisbeth Salander - researcher and computer hacker, and their attempts to resolve a 36-year old mystery.

With Blomkvist’s moving to the Vanger estate on Hedeby Island, the story moves to a remote place, involving a large number of people, and covering a wide canvas where nothing is as it appears. This was a wonderful narrative, involving mysterious people and their dark secrets, and the unearthing and interpretation of strange clues.

I also thought that the characters were drawn very well. Of course, the most fascinating character was Lisbeth Salander. Short and skinny to the point of looking anorexic, tattooed and pierced, socially awkward yet outspoken to the point of rudeness, and a genius computer hacker, this character certainly made an impression!

My great disappointment with this story was how the case was eventually resolved. The last third of the book wraps up the mystery and it really felt like a hastily created conclusion. While the final reveal was undoubtedly shocking, there was absolutely nothing leading up to the person, and the perpetrator may as well have been substituted by any of the other characters. It was an inadequate ending to a story that had, up to that point, been told with such care.
on June 7, 2015